SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My wife was scammed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My wife was scammed Login/Join 
posted
My wife and I were entering a fast food restaurant and I held the door for a gentleman who was behind us. As we were looking at the menu we offered for him to go ahead and order as we were picking up for several people. He stated that it was a pleasure to encounter such nice and polite folks and to go ahead as he was also ordering for other than himself.

Just as my wife pulled out her debit card he stepped forward and offered to pay for our meal as well. After a brief conversation my wife replaced her card in her wallet (RFID protected) and he did pay for our order. Even while wearing USMC attire I have never had a person offer to pay for a meal so my wife and I were mystified. He was busy on his cell phone so as we left with our bags of food I thanked him again and he said something like “may god bless you.”

We had only been home long enough to wolf down the chow when USAA contacted us as to someone using my wife’s card number to pay a bill and several other charges. They were denied by USAA and they canceled her card (will reissue a new one). When my wife told USAA what had gone on at the restaurant they were not surprised, this is a scam where the scammer gets close (within 5 feet) of a persons debit card and scans it. Then they rack up charges. I normally stay close to my wife when she is paying and keep an eye out or stay back on overwatch position. This caught me unaware. Mad

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I try to use Apple Pay with my Apple Watch whenever possible.

I love my Apple Watch.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife was scammed

You were both scammed, not just your wife. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

I try to use Apple Pay with my Apple Watch whenever possible.

I love my Apple Watch.
Absolutely! I have tried to explain the improved security to my wife, and to a good friend that I gifted with an Apple Watch (purchased from a member of SIGforum). Neither one of them wants to be bothered with it. Tune might change at the first scam.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple Pay and Apple Card as Vtail explains, is a superior form of payment. It has become my primary card .

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
was the card Visa PayWave or MasterCard PayPass?? Either of these can be read from some distance.

But the cards with only the EMV european style chip thing, not so much. The EMV cards don't even require an RFID shielding wallet

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Thinking more about this --- what a strange scam. The guy had to pay for your dinner. Seems he could have just used his reader near purses or men's rear pockets to scan cards. I don't really see how paying for a dinner makes the scam any better for him.

Are we sure he wasn't just a nice guy, and there is a mere coincidence of the card being compromised by someone else?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Your card number could have been compromised months ago and now just finally used and this is just a coincidence.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I'm in the "coincidence" camp. Does that card even have an RFID chip? Few do.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I had a RFID card when I lived in Can-eh-duh, but don't have any here. There is a difference between RFID card and the ordinary EMV Chip.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My major credit cards started getting updated with the RFID chips last year.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
So only the cards with that RFID symbol can get scanned by someone remotely ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
So only the cards with that RFID symbol can get scanned by someone remotely ?

pretty much. more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by specter77:
My wife and I were entering a fast food restaurant and I held the door for a gentleman who was behind us. As we were looking at the menu we offered for him to go ahead and order as we were picking up for several people. He stated that it was a pleasure to encounter such nice and polite folks and to go ahead as he was also ordering for other than himself.

Just as my wife pulled out her debit card he stepped forward and offered to pay for our meal as well. After a brief conversation my wife replaced her card in her wallet (RFID protected) and he did pay for our order. Even while wearing USMC attire I have never had a person offer to pay for a meal so my wife and I were mystified. He was busy on his cell phone so as we left with our bags of food I thanked him again and he said something like “may god bless you.”

We had only been home long enough to wolf down the chow when USAA contacted us as to someone using my wife’s card number to pay a bill and several other charges. They were denied by USAA and they canceled her card (will reissue a new one). When my wife told USAA what had gone on at the restaurant they were not surprised, this is a scam where the scammer gets close (within 5 feet) of a persons debit card and scans it. Then they rack up charges. I normally stay close to my wife when she is paying and keep an eye out or stay back on overwatch position. This caught me unaware. Mad

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Her Wallet is RFID not the USAA card which is a normal debit card.

As I understand it the scanner must be in close proximity to the card to work.

Yes it could be a coincidence however, USAA was aware of the tactic we were suspicious of including verbiage used.

Yup, both my wife and I were scammed.

My wife just got an apple watch. Will she use it for apple pay? Ya got me. Roll Eyes

I prefer to pay in cash. Cool

Michael

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Weird, none of my USAA cards have the RFID chip so they don't work with wireless tap and pay or anything. I would not choose a card that had that feature.

But put me down as another one that loves paying with tapping the cell phone. I have even started going to a slightly worse grocery store because they support it and the better one doesn't.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Must be a powerful scanner. Most pay stations barely pick the cards up right on them. I use Apple Pay when I can.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Could be aliens.
Or coincidence.

The chances of getting on phone with a rep who happens to be a technical expert are low. One that is agreeable and telling customers what they want to hear is high.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is this an RFID enabled card or not? If it's not, nobody "scanned" it and if it is, it is most likely will that nobody scanned it.

With all due respect to the people posting in here and USAA, the RFID thing is majorly overblown. It requires relatively close proximity and therefore risk. Modern RFID cards use a token-based encryption system, just like your chip does, that replaces the actual card number and are only valid for a very short time. Somebody did a proof of concept a few years ago proving you could highjack one of these cards, but you need to be able to execute the purchase basically immediately.

Overall, the technical know-how and expense to highjack RFID cards, coupled with the small scale, and high exposure make it something nobody's wasting their time with. Especially when you can drop skimmers on dozens of terminals, ATMs, etc. relatively benignly and pick up hundreds of cards.

This encounter is almost certainly a coincidence.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post