SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Walmart Corned Beef: Never Again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart Corned Beef: Never Again Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I bought a 4 lb corned beef brisket point from Walmart last week and put it the crock pot on Saint Paddy’s Day. Yes, I know; corned beef is really an American thing and not Irish but it’s tradition. It was pretty cheap, something like $3/lb.

Let it cook on low for 8 hours, it was nice and tender but DAMN. The texture was AWFUL! The only way I can describe it would be gelatinous and it had a strong chemical flavor above and beyond the regular cured flavor that corned beef has. YUCK! Confused

The label said “tenderized with papain” which I suspect led to the gross texture. I’m guessing this was from a very old cow? Low grade beef?

Next time I’m making my own corned beef, I’ve done it before and it’s not hard. Thinking of corning an eye round of beef this time. Brisket is just too damn expensive anymore.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After several disappointing experiences, my wife and I absolutely will not buy cuts of beef at Walmart. In an emergency, we'll buy ground beef.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is the tenderizing chemicals that do that. I've had pork loins like that, and it is very unappealing - they have a weird rubbery but mushy character. Avoid meats that are brined or injected with stuff to keep them moist. They often contain "tenderizing" agents. Papain breaks down long protein chains into shorter ones. It is definitely the culprit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohioup:
After several disappointing experiences, my wife and I absolutely will not buy cuts of beef at Walmart. In an emergency, we'll buy ground beef.

That’s been my experience with Aldi as well. We won’t buy any meat there except ground beef.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Natural papaya juice works well to tenderize inexpensive cuts of beef but I've never heard of this chemical concoction, or it being used on a corned beef brisket like this.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's Walmart. Probably imported It from China.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
That’s been my experience with Aldi as well. We won’t buy any meat there except ground beef.

Aldi also has good chicken breasts, ground turkey, and (some) sausages.

I do much of my shopping at Aldi. But I do go higher quality for my pork or beef. (I've occasionally grabbed Aldi steaks on clearance, and while they're not the greatest, they're worth the ultra-cheap clearance price at least.)

Their meat follows the trend of all their other products... Aldi is good for the simple basics, and the occasional interesting oddball item, but you'll have to look elsewhere for specific high quality items or specialized items.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Natural papaya juice works well to tenderize inexpensive cuts of beef but I've never heard of this chemical concoction, or it being used on a corned beef brisket like this.

Papain?

It’s a tenderizing enzyme derived from papaya and other fruits that contain it.

https://www.healthline.com/hea...ood-nutrition/papain

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Papain?

It’s a tenderizing enzyme derived from papaya and other fruits that contain it.

https://www.healthline.com/hea...ood-nutrition/papain

Papain appears to be a concentrated enzyme extract of papaya. Why use it? Plain old papaya juice works well enough on its own as a tenderizer.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I buy a few things at Walmart, but I wouldn't even consider buying meat, fish or poultry there.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They have some marinated chicken breasts that turn out rather good in the air fryer.
Their salmon is absolutely horrible.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
You had me at

quote:
Walmart: Never Again

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
First and last time buying meat at WalMart was over 20 yrs ago. Around here Publix has good meat and so does Sam's. Same basic company as WalMart but meat is so much better.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
One of my top rules in life..

"life is too short to eat cheap food, drink cheap liquor, smoke cheap cigars or buy cheap guns.... and etc."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
One of my top rules in life..

"life is too short to eat cheap food, drink cheap liquor, smoke cheap cigars or buy cheap guns.... and etc."

Words to live by.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's not so much a Walmart problem as it is an enhanced meat problem. "Enhanced meat product" is an actual, defined phrase that I knew nothing about until my wife bought a package of enhanced ribs from Publix. Once you know, you can read the label and avoid them at any grocery store.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I won’t buy any meat from Walmart. Used to, but last time I bought steaks, they were horrible. The taste was way off, texture was tough and just not like a normal steak. Even their chicken is off. I try to stick to the local butcher shops now, prices are decent, and the meats are fantastic. I will buy from Meijer, their meat is pretty good, especially if they are having a sale.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

just had a Aldi's corned beef this week,

it was fantastic, not gelatinous at all,

we have had good luck with Aldi's meats,

steaks, chops, and chicken,

only thing I did not care for was the cubed steak, they only run it thru once, not the multiple times like we did when I was a butcher

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

just had a Aldi's corned beef this week,

it was fantastic, not gelatinous at all,

we have had good luck with Aldi's meats,

steaks, chops, and chicken,

only thing I did not care for was the cubed steak, they only run it thru once, not the multiple times like we did when I was a butcher

I bought a skirt steak and bone in/skin on chicken breasts at Aldi one time. BOTH needed a chain saw to cut them and vowed to never buy them again. A friend of mine who eats a lot of good meat does tell me that Aldi's petite sirloin steaks are very good.....I wouldn't know.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a 4 lb corned beef brisket point from Walmart

...It was pretty cheap, something like $3/lb.

There's the problem.

If I'm buying meat for a special occasion, I'm going to a reputable place like a butcher shop or, meat market, and while WalMart has its uses, food stuffs is not one of them.

On a related note, as prices of brisket has risen (thanks to TX BBQ), markets have introduced Top Round as an alternative to brisket corned beef. The VAST majority of shoppers I watched, hadn't a clue or, took notice, the difference between brisket & top round, let alone the difference between point vs flat cut on the brisket.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post