SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Megachurch pastor criticized for buying wife $200G Lamborghini
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Megachurch pastor criticized for buying wife $200G Lamborghini Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
If his sheep want to give everything to him, no problem on my end. I'd like proceeds taxed, i'd start with Rev. Al.

"If only I had back the money that me and Cathrine sent that TV preacher that was screwing the hockey players." Cuzin' Eddy

Did you even read the article????
He used no church funds. He makes money from a book deal and a TV show. He likely pays personal taxes on that income and at least 12k in property taxes on the vehicle and dependent upon his state that property tax will be assessed yearly.
Just because you work for a church does not make you tax exempt from everything Roll Eyes

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Investments young man, wise investments!” Local politician’s reply to a constituent who asked how a politician could become so wealthy based on the modest salery of his political office.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Black92LX

Agree with Black92LX that how people spend their own money is not my business. My issue is that sometimes people exploit others while using 'the church' as a lever. If this is not the issue, swell enjoy the 200k Lambo. If it is, this guy won't be the first or the last to take advantage.

-k

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Awhile back there was a pastor asking his congregation to foot the bill for him to travel on a private jet.

I find this to be nonsense but on the other hand he was flat out in the open about how he wants to spend the congregations money.
If they have no qualms with it and keep giving who am I to say otherwise?

————————————————

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Awhile back there was a pastor asking his congregation to foot the bill for him to travel on a private jet.

Are your referring to the one that spent a shit ton of money (60 million, IIRC) to buy a jet for his personal use. Claiming he needed it to save time on his travel arrangements or some such.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
GAW-DUH commanded him to buy it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Are your referring to the one that spent a shit ton of money (60 million, IIRC) to buy a jet for his personal use. Claiming he needed it to save time on his travel arrangements or some such.

Likely so I am guessing there aren’t that many asking for them.

If I remember correctly he also said he could not hear God talking to him on commercial flights.

But like I said he was straight up about it. Not dipping in to the offeratory and not telling folks. So if the congregation kept giving I am not really one to say otherwise.

————————————————

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenpoist:
No one is saying this pastor (or any other) should be poor.

If I were a member of his church, the next time he started calling for charitable contributions I’d probably refrain from digging too deep, though...

This was the thought when I posted: "Optics."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Likely so I am guessing there aren’t that many asking for them.

If I remember correctly he also said he could not hear God talking to him on commercial flights.

But like I said he was straight up about it. Not dipping in to the offeratory and not telling folks. So if the congregation kept giving I am not really one to say otherwise.

That was Jesse Duplantis...

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by callibird:

That was Jesse Duplantis...

And Kenneth Copeland
And Creflo Dollar
And Joel Osteen

If the congregation says OK, who am I to second guess. Rich pastors just don't really fit into my view of things. Though honestly all of these are pikers compared to the Vatican Bank.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Matthew 19:24?

I think a pastor should give the majority of any earnings to charity. He should live a bit conservatively.

I think you should lead by example and give the majority of your earnings to charity before suggesting someone else do so.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
i'd like to see churches pay taxes, period.

Why give liberals more money?
Churches are quite liberal, so it's like a self licking ice cream cone.

Not true.....while some churches are liberal many are not.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:

I think a pastor should give the majority of any earnings to charity. He should live a bit conservatively.

I think you should lead by example and give the majority of your earnings to charity before suggesting someone else do so.

As with the pastor in question, we don’t know that he doesn’t.

————————————————

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
i'd like to see churches pay taxes, period.

Let's think about that... generally a church, or other charity pays out just about every penny it takes in. Bottom line, it has zero net income. So there isn't a big tax revenue loss related to charities.

I realize this is not true for every charity but it is for most.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
As Flip Wilson (Geraldine) would say " The devil made me do it". Big Grin

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Really? Then why shouldn't you?

I love how everyone thinks it is OK for them to work hard and make a super high income if they can...but then judge a pastor, why? They didn't take an oath of poverty.

Any idea what the average pastor's salary is in the US? Sad is what it is.

Yes, there are a few pastors of mega-churches making millions just like there are a few you-tubers making millions. I'd hardly think if you have a youtube channel then you are a millionaire though!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
takes the term, "answer to a higher calling" to a whole new level. Perception is everything. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:

Really? Then why shouldn't you?

I love how everyone thinks it is OK for them to work hard and make a super high income if they can...but then judge a pastor, why? They didn't take an oath of poverty.

Any idea what the average pastor's salary is in the US? Sad is what it is.

Yes, there are a few pastors of mega-churches making millions just like there are a few you-tubers making millions. I'd hardly think if you have a youtube channel then you are a millionaire though!

I don’t think 95,000 a year is anything to sneeze at, or feel sad about. That’s almost 6 figures.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Everything about mega churches and wealthy "holy men" is as disgusting as disgusting gets, and this is no exception. It's unbelievably gauche, too. May they drive it off a cliff, quickly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My parents were missionaries in central Europe for 21 years. Dad's salary and the field budget were paid for 100% by donations from churches and individuals. My dad worked 6-7 days a week, and I repeatedly saw him turn down pay raises offered by our sending organization because he didn't want to ask people for any more money than we absolutely needed.

My parents always strove to be debt free, didn't buy extravagant stuff, and taught us to take care of what we had. Numerous times as a kid I remember getting the lecture about not complaining about what we didn't have because other people were sacrificing to allow us to be there doing what we were doing.

Sometimes as a kid, it irritated me. Today, I recognize it as an example of godly people doing it right. Imo, if you're going into the ministry to get rich, you're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post