SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Megachurch pastor criticized for buying wife $200G Lamborghini
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Megachurch pastor criticized for buying wife $200G Lamborghini Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
Of late, the term "optics" has floated the media airwaves.

I do not belong to a "mega-church," and personally, I feel they are antithetical to Jesus's teaching about relationships and community. But who am I to cast aspersions? Or stones.

You can read the story here.

A South Carolina pastor defended buying his wife a $200,000 Lamborghini Urus as an eighth wedding anniversary present after coming under fire for the purchase.

Pastor John Gray, the leader of Relentless Church in Greenville, S.C., came under fire for presenting his wife, Aventer, with the expensive vehicle. A video that went viral, which has since been deleted, showed the pastor surprising his wife with the keys to the luxury vehicle last week, the Charlotte Observer reported.

The pastor was criticized by social media users questioning how he could afford the car. In a Facebook Live video Thursday, Gray defended the purchase while tearing up at times.

“Pastor buys his wife this expensive car,” Gray said. “First of all it wasn’t a pastor who bought the car, it was a husband that bought the car. Get that in your spirit.”

He also addressed the speculation that he used some money from the church to pay for the Lamborghini.

“Did this man use any money from the church to do this?” Gray asked. “And the answer is no. Absolutely not. And God, take my life on this live feed if I did.”

The pastor continued that the car was bought with money he saved from his second book deal and the fourth season of his reality show “The Book of John Gray” which airs on the OWN Channel.

"My wife has pushed for my dreams and my vision and she has toiled with a man who is still trying to find himself," he said. "That carries a weight. I wanted to honor her for how she’s covered me."

Gray said he has put a deposit on the car but has not fully paid it off. In an Instagram post, his wife defended her husband.

“My hubby is a hard worker,” she wrote. “He worked his whole life and he saved to bless his wife.”

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is nothing,he is making payments.
Now if you want your eyes to be shocked ,google search the wealth of pastors.
Some of them are mega millionars

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'd like to see churches pay taxes, period.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:

Why give liberals more money?

As for the pastor, he’s gonna be held accountable according to 1 Thessalonians. I wouldn’t want to be him....

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The week before this became public he offered some portion of the weekly offerings to people from the church. He said, if you need it, come get it.

After I saw the Lambo purchase, it became clear to me about why he did it.

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Sweet Jesus, how much money does that guy make that he did not use church funds.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Basically media click bait story. Yeah, the guy is the pastor at a mega church. However, he has his second book deal and fourth season of a reality show - sounds like he may have earned income enough even outside of his church salary to pay for this on his own. More media BS.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the vehicle is for church use only. Nice write off. The sob's will probably make money on this swindle. .

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Never heard of the guy personally and don’t know his backstory, maybe you all do and can shed some light as to why this is a problem.
But to me it just seems like you all feel a pastor should not have expensive things.

Is there something in the Bible that says one should not be wealthy?

He says the money is from his book deal and used no church funds. If this is true and that is how he wants to spend the money I take no issue.

I happen to have a friend who is a pastor that is likely a millionaire numerous times over. Has nothing to do with his church I have been to his family’s multimillion dollar ski house on occasions. This fella is likely the greatest worker of the Lord I have ever met. Should he not have a multimillion dollar ski home?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were discussing just this article.

Where do any teachings claim a Christian, pastor, etc say the person must be poor? The pair could be a dedicated follower of Christ who just made good investments.

Of course, in my opinion, the cur hh should probably reconsider how much they are paying the pastor... Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
No one is saying this pastor (or any other) should be poor.

If I were a member of his church, the next time he started calling for charitable contributions I’d probably refrain from digging too deep, though...

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
If the info is true, that he spent no church money on the car, in fact paid for it out of money from book deals, etc.

Then I see nothing wrong with it. His money to use how he sees fit.

Kind of like working a second job to earn enough to do something for his wife. '

If he is a dedicated pastor, then he spends a lot of time at that profession. Our pastor back in Poughkeepsie spent as much as 80 hours a week at his job/profession. I was one of the church elders and we all got to see how hard he worked. And he had no outside income, lived in the house provided by the church. It was a nice house but nothing out of the ordinary.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Matthew 19:24?

I think a pastor should give the majority of any earnings to charity. He should live a bit conservatively.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You don't know how much he contributes to the church with his own time and money.

Being generous to the church and having personal wealth are not mutually exclusive.

The idea of living modestly is all about context. You don't know what his personal wealth looks like--having a Toyota Yaris for someone living in gross proverty is abhorrently luxurious, and a Lamborghini would be silly cheap for Jeff Bezos. In comparison to a monk, we all live decadently.

I can't get behind Sigforumites criticizing others for being wealthy. Lambast people for living outside their means, or for poor financial habits, but not for fairly accumulating wealth. It stinks of liberalism when anyone criticizes another for having what others do not.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Matthew 19:24?

You can't buy yourself into heaven (the belief at the time was that giving alms to the poor would help get you into heaven). Even a rich man couldn't give away enough of his money to buy a spot in heaven. Instead, seeking spiritual wealth in God is the way into heaven.

It doesn't mean poor people automatically go to heaven or that rich people are barred from it. God is unconcerned with material wealth--all things in Heaven and Earth are his anyway.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenpoist:
No one is saying this pastor (or any other) should be poor.

If I were a member of his church, the next time he started calling for charitable contributions I’d probably refrain from digging too deep, though...

I certainly don't believe that a pastor should be poor.

For me, I'd be very suspicious of him using the church as a tax shelter. I don't think that's very Jesus-like... Wink

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:

Why give liberals more money?
Churches are quite liberal, so it's like a self licking ice cream cone.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Let the man reward himself and whomever or whatever else he desires as a result of his non church duties. That is his right. Now if he is marketing anything as a result of his church duties ( copies or recordings of his sermons, blessed articles, etc) that is a no, any proceeds of that should go to the church. And if he is using the church's legal or taxation status as a way to get around paying taxes or funneling church monies to this or anything else like his home(s) again that is wrong. If he is making payments on the car a check of lien status on the vehicle title should clear any of that up quick.

To quote what Aeteocles said: The idea of living modestly is all about context. You don't know what his personal wealth looks like--having a Toyota Yaris for someone living in gross proverty is abhorrently luxurious, and a Lamborghini would be silly cheap for Jeff Bezos. In comparison to a monk, we all live decadently. I can't get behind Sigforumites criticizing others for being wealthy. Lambast people for living outside their means, or for poor financial habits, but not for fairly accumulating wealth.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If his sheep want to give everything to him, no problem on my end. I'd like proceeds taxed, i'd start with Rev. Al.

"If only I had back the money that me and Cathrine sent that TV preacher that was screwing the hockey players." Cuzin' Eddy

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
And this, folks, is why I can't stand organized religion.

I can't.

People whipping out scripture because they don't like the fact that a "pastor" bought his spouse a luxury car.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post