SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Price listed as $$$ obo, do you make an offer, or....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price listed as $$$ obo, do you make an offer, or.... Login/Join 
posted
Sometimes I scratch my head when selling something on the internet. An item is priced at $$$ obo. “Or best offer”. Yet, so often, the response is “what’s your best price?”
My best price? That would be the price I listed. If that doesn’t work for you, then please feel free to make an offer. We’ll go from there, hopefully finding common ground.

Oh well. Maybe it’s just me...

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Nope, I'm with you. If I read "or OBO" I will also ask "what's been the best offer so far?"

Most people don't understand what the abbreviation means and get offended by the question instead of replying simply "that's between me and the person making the best offer." In my opinion, I think they mean "negotiable."

I did have a guy once who would put "ASAP" in his emails, read it literally, and couldn't understand why executives were put off by it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
I sold a old mustang in the early eighties.

I then learned that OBO means (to some) that The seller can accept a “better” offer even if it is 5 minutes later but well beyond the asking price.

I still wince at having to honor the offer that matched the ask... clueless as I was.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Negotiating has become a joke. I get “what’s your lowest price?” All the time... uhhh well my lowest price is what I have on the price tag, why would I negotiate with myself?

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Negotiating has become a joke. I get “what’s your lowest price?” All the time... uhhh well my lowest price is what I have on the price tag, why would I negotiate with myself?
The other one I hate is that someone knowingly throws out a lowball offer not worthy of a response, and they immediately follow up with "split the difference?" For example, the blue book on something is 12000, the advertised price is 11999, and they'll offer 3000 then immediately say "split the difference?" (aka 7500).

They are too stupid to realize there is no splitting the difference between advertised price and a polite version of "go away asshole."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:

I agree. Many people are terrible at negotiating.

I usually tell them: I can't buy it and sell it. I posted a price, if you don't want to pay it, you make an offer.

"What's your bottom dollar?" is just another way of saying: I want you to drop your pants, so I can use that number to beat up the next guy trying to sell me the one I really want.

Not responding at all to those requests is also perfectly reasonable.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As a seller, "I" determine what the best offer is. If you want the item. Pay my asking price or make an offer.

If you ask me what my best offer is or what my lowest price is. You lost. Game over. I won't play dumb games.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The price is $300, or $400 if you insist on haggling (and you can talk me down to $300).

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best I've head is the 'fixed income" excuse. I had a motorcycle for sale at 3k. Dude offers me 300 bucks. I said hell no, and he said, "Well, I'm on a fixed income." He asshat, if you don't make enough money go get a job. And get off my porch. Or the moron that shows up wanting a test ride drunk.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I never put OBO in my WTS. And, if you still email me with a lowball, you're getting ignored. I'll decide to adjust the price, whenever I feel is appropriate.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I never put OBO in my WTS.

This.

OBO does not need to be stated explicitly, and when/where it is, the fact it has been explicitly mentioned says something about the situation. (Namely, that the seller started higher than he/she is willing to accept.)

It is not generally seen as a good negotiating move to explicitly signal at the start of discussions that one is willing to settle for less. Wink

RE: lowball offers. I don't make them as a buyer, but I've gotten them when selling things. I don't find them insulting, but I don't waste much time on them.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MtnPlinker:
I then learned that OBO means (to some) that The seller can accept a “better” offer

Yep, saw one last week... "Price is firm. $xxx OBO."

It means the seller is looking for higher than asking price in hope of getting a bidding war started.

Dumb I know, but it happens. IMO they should state "Make offer, $xxx minimum, firm" or some such.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sell a Harley on the Internet with a posted price and get deluged with responses, like: "I'm interested in the bike. What is your lowest price?"

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I post something for a sale locally, like on Craigslist, I always respond to those questions with "show up with cash and we can probably make a deal." Rarely hear another word.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The day the movers were showing up to pack my stuff in Anchorage to move me to Can-eh-duh I realized that having them move my beer fridge in my garage (it was about 8 years old and had been in my kitchen until 10 months before) was costing me a monetary moving incentive.

I saw on Craigslist that identical models were selling for $300 to $350. I listed it for $110 because speed of sale was more important than getting max value for the fridge (i.e moving incentive was much more than $200). I also thought that the natural negotiating point would be $100 which someone can get straight from ATM without me having to make change. I put the entrance to my neighborhood on the location map to give people an idea approximately where I was located.

Fuck me to tears. The stupid shit I put up with that day:
  • "What's your best price?"
  • "We'll work something out when I show up"
  • My personal favorite after telling someone I came to an agreement with someone who is on his way over "I see where you are on the map and I'll just show up and snipe him"

The cool thing is the buyer shows up exactly when he said he would, looks it over, touches the 6 pack of IPA to see if the fridge is working, and just handed me the $110 without negotiating. He asks if I can help lift the fridge in his truck bed so I informed him that he needed to take his beer out of the fridge before I'd help lift it. He just grinned and put the IPA in his extended cab. He pulled out this twine like rope to tie it down with so I grabbed a ratchet strap and gave it to him. He asked why I was being so nice and I told him it's because he was the only nice person I had encountered all day.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dinosaur
    Picture of P210
    posted Hide Post
    When I give a price and add “or best reasonable offer” it means you can buy it at the stated price or make an lower offer. At my price the deal is concluded then. Lower offers will be noted but I will wait a bit to see if someone offers more before I give you an answer.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 08 Cayenne
    posted Hide Post
    "Best cash price" always irritates me. How else would you pay for it, bushels of barley?

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    chickenshit
    Picture of rsbolo
    posted Hide Post
    Do stupid lowball offers ever work? It seems like someone is just trying to get something for nothing. Seriously, I get it if you put something up for sale with no asking price and only "make offer" in the ad but otherwise it seems like a jerk move to see an item advertised at $1000 and offering $100 for it.

It does make me appreciate a smooth transaction.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ridewv
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:

.....The cool thing is the buyer shows up exactly when he said he would, looks it over, touches the 6 pack of IPA to see if the fridge is working, and just handed me the $110 without negotiating. He asks if I can help lift the fridge in his truck bed so I informed him that he needed to take his beer out of the fridge before I'd help lift it. He just grinned and put the IPA in his extended cab. He pulled out this twine like rope to tie it down with so I grabbed a ratchet strap and gave it to him. He asked why I was being so nice and I told him it's because he was the only nice person I had encountered all day.

Isn't it great dealing with an informed buyer who also happens to be a nice person?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cparktd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rsbolo:
    Do stupid lowball offers ever work? .

It makes the boob feel special the next day at work... I knew a couple like that.

Man... I ALMOST bought a sweet Harley yesterday. Guy just wouldn't budge and was asking too much.

Yea, you ALMOST bought it if you consider an offer 3K below a stated firm price almost...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post