SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No one is filing with our secondary insurance!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No one is filing with our secondary insurance!!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
They ask for our insurance cards at pretty much EVERY visit. I give them our primary card and then the secondary explaining it is a secondary card.
Our secondary insurance covers 75% or 100% of what we owe based upon the facility.
2 different hospitals INCLUDING the hospital that provides the secondary insurance has failed to file with the secondary on nearly 20k in bills.
A 3rd clinic just sent me a bill and they have not filed with the secondary insurance either!!
The only folks that have done it and do it right is the pharmacy.
What a gigantic pain.
I can’t make a payment with our FSA card until all payments have been made by both insurances first!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The doctor's office or hospital is NOT REQUIRED to file your secondary insurance. The Bill is your responsibility not the insurance company.

Next time you are in the office speak with whoever does the billing. A nice tone always helps. There is sometimes confusion as to which carrier is primary. Many insurers, Medicare for example will send the claim electronically to the secondary payer without you having to do anything.

I have dealt with this issue multiple times with multiple hospitals. It always gets worked out if you are patient and polite.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The doctor's office or hospital is NOT REQUIRED to file your secondary insurance. The Bill is your responsibility not the insurance company

Since we are all essentially required to have insurance, handing over our cards should be plenty.

I'd gladly pay cash up front, but since not a single medical related facility can provide me with upfront pricing I guess they're stuck dealing with insurance. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
I understand your pain. Our organization tries to make sure they get it right, but human error is prevalent. And, make sure your primary isn’t requiring anything from you either. Many times, they will deny the claim, so the secondary can’t be billed since the claim isn’t processed correctly by the primary.
And, insurances 99% of the time will not accept any info for the dr office on coordination of benefits, etc. that has to come from the plan holder. Anthem does this yearly, as do many others. They’ll pay claims, then suddenly deny and ask for member info to be updated. Always read any mail from your insurance, could be a request.
I know, I handle office claim denials daily. As well as deal with the office errors made on which plan is primary, or other details.

Oh, also, is it possible that the hospital is not providing the insurance info to the various clinics? One of our problems is that the billing software is separate, so the info you might give the hospital does not cross over for dr claims, as the billing systems are different. Especially if it’s not a face to face visit with an office dr. They will go with what they had previously, if anything.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The doctor's office or hospital is NOT REQUIRED to file your secondary insurance. The Bill is your responsibility not the insurance company.

Next time you are in the office speak with whoever does the billing. A nice tone always helps. There is sometimes confusion as to which carrier is primary. Many insurers, Medicare for example will send the claim electronically to the secondary payer without you having to do anything.

I have dealt with this issue multiple times with multiple hospitals. It always gets worked out if you are patient and polite.

They may not be required to but it is in their best interest if they want their money in a timely fashion.
They send me a bill it gets sent to secondary they then request info from biller and then start the claim.
They’re already a month out when I get the bill if they would have just filed when I gave them my card at the appointment they’d likely have been paid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My hospital satellite lab despite having billed the correct Medicare provider for previous services since 2017 last fall billed my pre retirement insurance carrier for services rendered.

This year should be "good" also, I changed again, this time to a Medicare Advantage plan. So on with another round of office billing roulette.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post