SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How Dumb Am I? (Don't Answer That). Scammed By Ebay Seller.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Dumb Am I? (Don't Answer That). Scammed By Ebay Seller. Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I mentioned in a different thread that my wife has years worth of patient notes that she maintained the old-fashioned way: hand written, kept in file folders, in a file cabinet. The practice where she works has decided, RETROACTIVELY, that all patient notes need to be in a computerized database, so there's a shitload of stuff to be scanned.

Her office has one scanner, and the front desk people use it during the day, so we decided to buy a scanner for her use, and I asked here in the forum about scanners. Decided to go with the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i, which goes for around $250.00, more or less, depending on what kind of a deal you can find.

Ebay seller vladnik150811 offered a new, open box unit for $160.00 plus $10.95 shipping, $170.95 total.

Jumped on that deal!

The lying, scamming, thief took the money then canceled the transaction claiming the cancellation was at the buyer's (that's me) request. He kept the money. If anybody wants to visit him in Pompano Beach -- Ivan Diaz -- ah, never mind.

Hours on the phone with ebay and paypal, using the relay service for hearing impaired. Multiple "secure email" back and forth with paypal. Banging my head against the wall would be less painful.

Finally got someone on ebay today who researched it and found that everything I said was correct. I was able to get the internal transaction ID, which he said was all I needed in order to get the $170.95 refunded. He transferred us from ebay to paypal, ten minutes on hold, then got "System error. Please try your call again later."

Meantime, my wife has started a dispute with the credit card issuer. Bank of America. Yeah, I know, but it's some sort of deal through her professional organization.

Dealing with ebay scammer, paypal idiots, and Bank of America.

You are not allowed to shoot them.

Maybe I'll drink, instead. Haven't done that seriously for many years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You actually don't want the S1300i, V-Tail. I have one, and it is very slow compared with the ix500 which I use all the time. The ix500 will handle 5x the volume of the s1300i, or at least it feels like it.
With the volume you need, the ix500 is the way to go.
The sheet feeder holds a lot more, so you don't have to reload as often.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I showed her the ix500. Nope. She really doesn't need the speed. Yes, she has a LOT of scanning to do, but it will be one sheet at a time: she has to review the patient notes as they go into the database, to see if she need to add or clarify anything.

The ix500 is close to double the cost of the s1300i, and it is significantly larger. Size matters. She has a small office, not a lot of room on her desk, and it needs to be easily carried as she will schlep it back and forth between home and office.

This is a one-time deal, once she has caught up with the backlog, she won't need to do any significant scanning, so this small one should do the job for her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fleabay - sometimes your collar works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
canceled

How can the transaction be "cancelled" and him keep the money?
It takes me about 11 days to receive payment from PaPal.

Oh, I ALWAYS read the sellers reviews.

Oh leave him a shit review too.

Who is the user and I'll look him up?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, I'm not using my S1300i.
If you send me your mailing address to my e-mail (in my profile), I'll send you mine.
I think it doesn't have the software disc, but you can download the software from fujitsu.com.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
V-Tail, I'm not using my S1300i.
If you send me your mailing address to my e-mail (in my profile), I'll send you mine.
I think it doesn't have the software disc, but you can download the software from fujitsu.com.
That is a great offer. I would be happy to pay you for it. Email is on the way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Or at least a reputable online store, instead of some gypsy on eBay?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post

$80 dollar difference in price is tempting.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

It certainly is, but with Amazon he could have had the thing in his hands and be using it about now.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
It certainly is, but with Amazon he could have had the thing in his hands and be using it about now.
Coulda woulda shoulda.

20-20 hindsight.

I might have to contract with Guido and Angelo, send them on an errand to Pompano Beach.

The good news, Dr. Good Heart has made an offer I can't refuse.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I can't really point fingers. I've gotten some smoking deals on EBay which were exactly as advertised. I don't go very often, so I suppose the law of averages hasn't hit.

As the carnival barkers used to say, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Otto, I have used ebay for more than twenty years. Not a heavy user, I just looked at my history and in that twenty years I have made 157 purchases.

This is the first time that I have been burned.

There was one instance where I knew the seller was a phony and I tried to trap him, but he wriggled out. He was advertising a Garmin 530W for $4,500. At the time, this was the most advanced GPS / VOR-ILS / Comm radio combination that was available for General Aviation, and they were selling for triple that price.

I knew that something was shady and I tried to set up a face-to-face, hoping to trap him and bring a cop friend with me, but he kept coming up with reasons that the only way he could do it was to receive funds and ship the radio.

Other than that, and this scanner scam by seller Ivan Diaz in Pompano Beach FL (I'm giving the name to warn people not to do business with him), I have generally had good luck with ebay.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
canceled
How can the transaction be "cancelled" and him keep the money?
It takes me about 11 days to receive payment from PaPal.

Oh, I ALWAYS read the sellers reviews.

Oh leave him a shit review too.

Who is the user and I'll look him up?
To answer your questions:
  • I did a "Buy It Now" and paid promptly. The liar then canceled the sale, claiming that the cancellation was at my request. Not true, of ourse.

• Yeah, of course I did look at his feedback before I bought. He had 82 transactions, 100% positive.

• The seller is Ivan Diaz, of Pompano Beach FL. His ebay ID is vladnik150811

• I can't leave him a review, shitty or otherwise. You can only leave feedback on a transaction that has been completed. He cancelled this one, so it has not been completed, and there is no way to leave feedback.
Here is the ebay listing for the scanner.
UPDATE: Four days of multiple emails back and forth with PayPal, with mounting hostility on my part because they kept asking for the same information, over and over again. Each email that I received from them was from a different person, none of whom had read nor comprehended the previous emails. Frustration, aggravation, to the point where I considered doubling up on my blood pressure meds. A "phone call" using the relay service for hearing impaired to ebay, lasting over an hour and a half. Ebay rep stated that everything I said was confirmed to be true, he had all the documentation on his end to show that I had paid $170.95 and the seller then cancelled. Ebay rep said that refund would have to come from PayPal, and he transferred me to PayPal, stating that if I had difficulty I should ask for a supervisor and have that supervisor initiate a conference call with ebay, who would back me up.

So, phone call was transferred, got recording "System is experiencing technical difficulties. Please try your call again at a later time." This went on for a day and a half. Meantime, emails back and forth between me and PayPal customer NO-service, hostility level from me increasing with each iteration.

Dispute initiated with Bank of America, for the credit card that was used to fund the PayPal transaction. Getting a runaround from them, too.

I eventually lost it -- emailed PayPal that the refund needed to be processed without further delay, this would be the last communication they would receive from me, anything further would be from my lawyer.

Received a reply stating that the refund is in process, allow up to 30 days for it to appear on the credit card statement. The ebay listing now shows that I refund has been issued; however, it has not shown up yet on my end.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
she has to review the patient notes as they go into the database, to see if she need to add or clarify anything.

She must know not to do this. Huge no-no to change old notes.

link

"medical records are legal documents and can become evidence in legal proceedings such as malpractice cases, reimbursement decisions, Medicare/Medicaid and workers' compensation determinations, peer review issues, and regulatory compliance investigations... destroying, losing, or altering an original record can be interpreted as an attempt to conceal misconduct, and can plant a seed of suspicion in the event of a legal proceeding or investigation."

Scan them as is. IF there are any updates or clarifications make them anew, in the new system, with current time/date stamp.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I probably did not state this clearly, Chuck.

She is doing exactly what you stated -- looking over the old notes as she scans them, and making additional entries or clarifications if needed. Not changing any original notes. Maybe adding, if her handwriting was not completely legible in the original.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
She must know not to do this. Huge no-no to change old notes.

link

"medical records are legal documents and can become evidence in legal proceedings such as malpractice cases, reimbursement decisions, Medicare/Medicaid and workers' compensation determinations, peer review issues, and regulatory compliance investigations... destroying, losing, or altering an original record can be interpreted as an attempt to conceal misconduct, and can plant a seed of suspicion in the event of a legal proceeding or investigation."

Scan them as is. IF there are any updates or clarifications make them anew, in the new system, with current time/date stamp.

I was very worried about this as well, V-Tail. Any alterations or clarifications should not go on the page with the original note, is my understanding.
I'm glad I don't have tons of old hand-written records I'm responsible for. It's bad enough dealing with old family papers.

BTW when I have really large amounts of stuff to scan, even the ix500 is not high volume enough. For that I have a Fujitsu fi-7260 scanner and ExactScan Pro software. This system is astonishingly fast, including OCR of the scanned page. I think you could scan a large book into a pdf in less than 10 minutes.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Chuck and Goodheart: No worries. The originals are untouched. My wife is a stickler for following the rules!

She just reviews them when she scans them to see if anything else is needed.

Any notations, clarifications, any additions of any kind, go into an accompanying document, clearly identified as such.

One reason that super speed is not needed for scanning: the notes for each session with a patient are stored in the database as individual documents, identified by patient and date. The individual sessions with a patient are not batched together into one file, each session gets its own individual entry in the database. This means that she can not stack a bunch of pages on the document feeder for the scanner. Basically it's one sheet, possibly double sided, at a time. Very rarely more than one sheet per session.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
That seller has changes identities before.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Nothing dumb on your end, I hope PayPal makes it right, seems no defense to scam like that, good luck..

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post