SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Professional “bloggers”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professional “bloggers” Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

What we overheard, floored me. The woman and her male friend, who were both dressed like they were ready for an afternoon at Walmart, proceeded to tell the waiter that she was a “professional blogger“ and would be taking pictures of every entrée and of the waiter, and getting his name from the receipt and then uploading a review on Facebook. It was up to him what that review looked like.

Did anyone stop to think for a moment that they are simply just scam artists looking for a free meal?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did anyone stop to think for a moment that they are simply just scam artists looking for a free meal?

My girlfriend has been in the restaurant business for over 20 years. Her last position with a chain was managing for Houlihan's.

They had a regular group that would come in once every week or so. They would eat their meals then complain about whatever they could come up with at the time. This resulted in them being issued gift certificates to come back and eat again. Week after week, month after month.

One day they came in and she turned them away before they even got seated. This turned into a small fireworks show, and complaints directly to corporate. Those at corporate had a message for her: You can't upset your customers. She had a question for them that they couldn't answer. How are they our customers if they've never paid for a meal? Corporate mailed them a few hundred dollars in gift certificates to make up for their inconvenience.

Which is why I was shocked to read this the other day:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/h...nkruptcy-11573751584

quote:
The private-equity backed operator of the Houlihan’s Restaurant + Bar chain has filed for bankruptcy protection with a deal in-hand to sell the casual dining chain to fellow restaurant operator Landry’s Inc. for $40 million and assumption of some liabilities.

Houlihan’s Restaurant Inc. and its affiliates blamed Thursday’s chapter 11 filing on a confluence of factors that have stressed the casual dining sector in recent years

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had to restrain myself the other day at a social event where a 23 year-old person identified themselves as a "Professional Influencer"...
And they even have it in their email signature.
Spare me

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
a "Professional Influencer"...

The new name for a “shakedown artist”; if you don’t comply with my demands, then I’ll ruin you on social media. Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And being a large chain, with a marketing department, I would think they'd develop a corporate policy to deal with this type of situation. Then again, maybe what was described is their policy.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It's Ruth Chris. It's a chain. Fuck the bloggers. One bad review from a couple of morons won't affect the people who know the chain.

I would take pictures of the couple. If they post an untruthful bad review, sue for libel.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
It appears that corporate policy is to be scared to death of any social media (particularly Twitter) trending negative/critical comments.

In the past businesses would generally take the long view game on PR blips. Not any more.

All it takes in 2019 is for ONE overly-vocal special interest person to complain to completely change a nationwide business policy.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
proceeded to tell the waiter that she was a “professional blogger“

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I'm a Professional Blogger/Influencer/Etc.; The response will be, "OK, so let me see your license."

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a shake down.

I would have asked for a website or name to google that guy.

One time, I was in a small restaurant/deli in a touristy area. I was taking pictures of my meal and the owner came over and asked, “oh, do you have a food blog?”

I said, “No, I just like to post pictures of my meals to Facebook.” It seemed a switch was turned off inside him after I answered.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
I'm a Professional Blogger/Influencer/Etc.; The response will be, "OK, so let me see your license."

Where did you go to school to learn that? 2yr or 4yr degree? Smile

Posts: 2117 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

My girlfriend has been in the restaurant business for over 20 years. Her last position with a chain was managing for Houlihan's.

They had a regular group that would come in once every week or so. They would eat their meals then complain about whatever they could come up with at the time. This resulted in them being issued gift certificates to come back and eat again. Week after week, month after month.

One day they came in and she turned them away before they even got seated. This turned into a small fireworks show, and complaints directly to corporate.
I have an equipment rental business -- I supply carpet cleaners ("steam cleaners") to hardware stores, to rent to Do-It-Yourself customers.

There is a very small percentage, less than 1%, of the customers who try to pull this scam. I have told the stores to maintain a "No-Fly" list for these people, and refer them to me if they have a problem when the stores refuse to rent to them.

My question to these scammers is, "You did not like the equipment last time you used it, you asked for and received a refund. The equipment that you are trying to rent today is the same stuff that you did not like last time. What makes you think that you will like it any better this time? You can always go to Walmart and rent a Rug Doctor machine, for more money than you would pay for mine, and then you can complain to Walmart. Have a nice day."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post