SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Professional “bloggers”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professional “bloggers” Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
As a gun carrying Republican and white male, I’ve accepted that I am taking my chances when venture I out of my cave into the big city of Minneapolis, but what I witnessed this weekend still has me at a loss.

It was the girlfriend’s birthday so I took her to Ruth’s Chris steak House; for those of you not familiar with this chain, it is very high scale and as you can probably guess, very high-priced.

Our waiter had just finished delivering us a bottle of wine when he went to check on the table who had just been sat next to us.

What we overheard, floored me. The woman and her male friend, who were both dressed like they were ready for an afternoon at Walmart, proceeded to tell the waiter that she was a “professional blogger“ and would be taking pictures of every entrée and of the waiter, and getting his name from the receipt and then uploading a review on Facebook. It was up to him what that review looked like.

My girlfriend and I looked at each other like we could not believe what we had just heard; for the remainder of the evening we watched the manager fawn over them, the chef come out and check on their food, and the waiter nearly take a deep breath every time he went to the table. None of my business I suppose, but I was absolutely infuriated that this waiter had to deal with this bullshit.

Halfway through our dinner, I motioned him over and whispered into his ear, “just so you know, we’re not taking pictures of our dinner we’re not going to put this on Facebook and we really appreciate you!“. He laughed, said “thank you“ and ended up bringing both of us a sample of very nice wine.

I know restaurants live and breathe off of their online reviews, and that I am just as guilty for being complicit as I often choose my venues based on the number of “stars“, but part of me still cannot believe I witnessed this and that the staff did not tell this couple to “pound sand”.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
And believe it or not, this is how this DOLT of a woman makes her living and probably makes decent money. All the while, having the IQ of naval lint...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty slow, Ronin! You should have introduced yourself to your fellow diners, told them that you operate a blog on how shabbily-dressed shitbags try to run 2-cent extortion schemes on eating establishments, and explain that you'll be posting their pictures and recording their actions so that everyone knows that they're a couple of losers.

(Mmmmmmmmmm......Ruth's Chris)

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Genuine LOL! Smile

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Pretty slow, Ronin! You should have introduced yourself to your fellow diners, told them that you operate a blog on how shabbily-dressed shitbags try to run 2-cent extortion schemes on eating establishments, and explain that you'll be posting their pictures and recording their actions so that everyone knows that they're a couple of losers.

I was about to suggest that. Just start clicking away, and when they ask what you're doing, give that spiel. Could be a pretty nice gig, like that People of Walmart.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Having done consulting work for a food critic and author, I have to wonder.

Perhaps that's the way it's done today, but it used to be that food critics acted and behaved anonymously. Even their photographs did not accompany their written reviews, in order to protect their identities.

You see, if a restaurant knows a critic is dining there, they will bend over backwards hoping for a good review. That means the reviewer isn't giving an honest review, but one resulting from pampering and special treatment. One false step, and *poof*, there goes the thumbs-up.

An honest review is achieved by being "Mr. or Mrs. Ordinary." Treatment, food, service and ambiance are better judged when the reviewer isn't putting on airs.

My BS Detector suggests the Wallie World Walkers were simply poseurs.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Having done consulting work for a food critic and author, I have to wonder.

Perhaps that's the way it's done today, but it used to be that food critics acted and behaved anonymously. Even their photographs did not accompany their written reviews, in order to protect their identities.

You see, if a restaurant knows a critic is dining there, they will bend over backwards hoping for a good review. That means the reviewer isn't giving an honest review, but one resulting from pampering and special treatment. One false step, and *poof*, there goes the thumbs-up.

An honest review is achieved by being "Mr. or Mrs. Ordinary." Treatment, food, service and ambiance are better judged when the reviewer isn't putting on airs.

My BS Detector suggests the Wallie World Walkers were simply poseurs.

And you don't eat there just once. Was the service and food exceptional every time or just a fluke?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...she was a “professional blogger“ and would be taking pictures of every entrée and of the waiter, and getting his name from the receipt and then uploading a review on Facebook. It was up to him what that review looked like.

My Bull Shit radar detector just went off. Woman was simply trying to feed her ego.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or just as likely - get some "free shit" out of deal.

Seems that the bloggo-sphere is rife with lots of folks wanting tons of free stuff just to post it on their social media page.

It drives me nuts to think that the kardashians "sold" their "business" for $600million for doing absolutely nothing.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I am surprised they didn't ask demand to have their meals comp'd.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If I was the manager, I would tell them "It's great to serve you today, we'll treat you as well as we treat all our customers! We'd like to get a photo of you with our staff as well!"

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlR_ccnZww

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I know restaurants live and breathe off of their online reviews, and that I am just as guilty for being complicit as I often choose my venues based on the number of “stars“, but part of me still cannot believe I witnessed this and that the staff did not tell this couple to “pound sand”.

I'll write reviews on Yelp and I will take pictures. I do choose places based on reviews but I also read the reviews. There are some people who have nothing but great things to say but only give it 4 stars. Then there are those who give it 2 or 3 stars because the food wasn't cooked the way they would've cooked it, they didn't say the food wasn't good, they just said they wouldn't have cooked it that way. There has to be a way to vet reviews to see how legit they are like there is for Amazon reviews.

quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:

Or he should've stood up and pointed at the table and said, "ladies and gentlemen, we are in the presence of some very important people here! They are professional bloggers who are reviewing this place, let's not be too loud as to disturb their thinking."

Assholes need to be called out, they're starting to run roughshot over the honest, hardworking people.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
They should have responded like this guy.

Angry Hotel Owner’s Response Refusing Influencer Free Accommodation Goes Viral

https://www.boredpanda.com/soc...ose-cafe-elle-darby/

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's Ruth Chris. It's a chain. Fuck the bloggers. One bad review from a couple of morons won't affect the people who know the chain.

I would take pictures of the couple. If they post an untruthful bad review, sue for libel.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
They should have responded like this guy.

Angry Hotel Owner’s Response Refusing Influencer Free Accommodation Goes Viral

https://www.boredpanda.com/soc...ose-cafe-elle-darby/

That dumb bitch really thought that she helped Universal in Orlando? Roll Eyes

This is one of the largest tourist areas in the country yet little miss I'm so important thinks she did something good?

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Taking someone’s picture? Umm, no, how about fuck you.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
If I were that waiter, I would have objected ferociously to some rando taking my picture.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Print signs and display them prominently: "Shoes and shirts required. No bloggers admitted."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post