SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Silver nitrate for wounds BURNS!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silver nitrate for wounds BURNS!! Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted
I thought I knew pain.

I do not.

I sliced off the top middle knuckle part of my left index finger.

Meh. Hurts. Bleeding alot. I washed it and dropped some liquid bandage on it and thought that hurt. Fashioned a homemade splint.

Not bad. I’ve been stabbed before. Assaulted. Car crashes. Etc.

The next day it’s still bleeding so I break down and stop at the local urgent care.

Doc looks at it and says we’re going to have to cauterize it. He said it will hurt. I’m like whatever. Can’t hurt worst than anything I’ve been through.

I was wrong!!!

That silver nitrate stick he pulled out looked harmless enough.

Well I am thankful it stopped the bleeding but I have never swore so much in my life.

Is this what things like quick clot are made of?? If so I’ll stick with my tourniquets.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Wait till you use one to kill a canker sore in your mouth.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, SC is right on. I had a fever blister that really took off on me and went to my Dr. and he put that on my lip. He did it with such force, I was sure it must have cut part of my lip off.

I called him the pain Dr. He dealt out more pain than he stopped.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Wait till you use one to kill a canker sore in your mouth.

Just use salt. Burns a few seconds then better. May have to do it a few times. Cheap fix.

As for silver nitrate never used it on a wound; but did use the cream for sunburn. Amazing stuff. Now I just use the Aztec clay powder.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For burns , nothing beats Water-jel .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had lots of experience with canker sores in my mouth and throat as a kid. Went through a bunch of those silver nitrate daubers. The canker sores hurt so bad I didn’t mind the daubers so much. I would have thought they had been replaced with something more modern and expensive by now.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For mouth sores , use Dr. Tichenor's . Burns like hell then goes numb .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will not speak of it, other than to say it was administered by a proctologist. It was....memorable.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I keep silver nitrate sticks around for mouth sores.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I've only ever used Vitamin C powder applied directly to canker sores. Burns like hell for a minute or so, after that not so bad.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Absorbine+ on a hemroid,

that'll make your knees buckle and you'll see stars.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
when I was in high school, we'd use Right Guard spray to cure crotch rot. It like to killed me, but it sure cured that jock itch.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Get some of this: Surgicel

But, if you have access to Surgicel get some or that. Its by Dr's orders only though, so might be a tough sell.

As a last resort, mix yourself up some monsels paste (recipe online under monsels paste). Its basically like silver nitrate but more gentle, as its used for ladyparts after a cervical bx.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post