SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Background music in movies.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Background music in movies. Login/Join 
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Film composers use something called the "100% Rule". Basically, they want every scene in the movie to have 100% impact- no more, no less. Sometimes the music enhances the scene, but sometimes the scene is powerful enough that it speaks for itself. The most skilledfilm composers handle this perfectly- like John Williams.

Take this scene in Star Wars VII, for example.

Notice the complete absence of music for most of this scene. John Williams knows that the intensity of the scene is enough to carry the movie- music during this time would have overloaded the scene. He adds some sparse music after the camera captures the reactions of the other characters because they return the camera to the original scene. But the music is minimal because the power of the scene still speaks for itself.

For contrast, consider this scene from Episode IV:

Now watch the scene on mute. The music is absolutely necessary to complete the emotional context of the scene.

Another John Williams example of the 100% rule:

This is the opening of "Saving Private Ryan." (If you are familiar with the film, just start the video, watch for a minute, then skip to 22:40.)

No music is necessary for the scene to have 100% impact. Williams starts a simple chorale melody in the strings when they show the aftermath of the battle. It's soft and subtle, but brings the scene to 100%. Scoring that scene like the sunset scene in Star Wars would have been overwhelming and unnecessary.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Before I got my hearing aids, the background music overpowered the dialogue so much I couldn't understand what was being said. It's amazing how the hearing aids reverse that.

What? I need hearing aids? Before I retired the first time, where I worked, they gave us a physical every year, which included a hearing test.
I remember that every time I took it, they always gave it to me twice. I asked one time why and the nurse explained that nobody at the company that got the test had such good hearing that it seemed to be a mistake.
Ok, it has been a while since I retired, but I need hearing aids??

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post