SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Background music in movies.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Background music in movies. Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
Why? Is the plot so thin, so bad, so difficult to follow

that music needs to be added to the vocal sound track to carry the plot line.

Gimme a break, I am so hearing impaired I need CC to follow as it is.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Before I got my hearing aids, the background music overpowered the dialogue so much I couldn't understand what was being said. It's amazing how the hearing aids reverse that.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Depends on the music and movie.

Last of the Mohicans - awesome
Transformers - not so much

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yeah.
"Dance Monkey" is a bit much during the scene when a sapper is trying to sneak up on someone sleeping in the main secured facility...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
If the story line and dialogue is weak, then make the explosions and music loud to divert attention.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:

Hearing impairment is definitely one factor here.

Another is that the soundtracks of movies nowadays are mixed for multi-channel surround sound. In this mix, there's typically an entire channel (the center channel that feeds into the center speaker of a surround sound setup) that is dedicated almost solely to just the majority of the dialogue. It's actually quite the opposite of "music being added to the vocal sound track". In fact, they're specifically trying to mostly isolate the vocals in their own channel of the mix so that they stand out from the rest of the sound.

The problem arises when that precisely engineered five-channel or seven-channel sound mix is compressed and forced through two small, cheap, tinny stereo speakers like the ones on the sides of your TV. The resulting sound is flat and muddled, and it gets tough to distinguish between dialogue, sound effects, and music, because the entire sound mix is being jumbled together and weakly pushed out of just two small speakers.

So if you're serious about enjoying movies these days, investing in a set of hearing aids is a good first step, plus then investing in a discrete 5.1/7.1 surround sound speaker set (or at least a decent 3.1 soundbar set) would help immensely.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On weekends I listen to The Score with Edmund Stone. https://www.thescore.org

Some of the sound tracks are awesome.

Something like "Once Upon a Time in the West" with music composed by: Ennio Morricone really makes for a wonderful experience.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:

No. Sound tracks are utilized to enhance the the scene whether it be sadness or jubilation even if there is no spoken word. Carrying the plot is dependent on the script not the music.

Personally I like a lot of Hans Zimmer and Max Richter scores.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
An adjunct to RogueJSK's advice on hardware. Another thing is to look at is your sound settings, regardless of whether you are using the TV's built-in speakers or have a state of the art home theater setup.

Thump and sizzle sells boxes, and special effects puts butts in theater seats. People pay big bucks for the big subwoofers to play all that stuff on their home systems and impress the neighbors. So, there are many settings that bury dialogue in the special effects, going for the 'wow' factor, but there are usually also settings that don't - you just have to find them.

TL: DR - it will be worth your while to watch something with dialog, and cycle through every one of the audio settings on your current setup. I will bet you that at least one of the settings you cycle through will make you go "AHA!" Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:

No. Sound tracks are utilized to enhance the the scene whether it be sadness or jubilation even if there is no spoken word. Carrying the plot is dependent on the script not the music.

Personally I like a lot of Hans Zimmer and Max Richter scores.

What he said.

I never realized how important the music is to a movie until I started attending Movies with full orchestra. The Star Trek and ET movies I saw the last year or two were my favorite. I ended up listening to the soundtracks before/after the movies and have a whole new appreciation for a good musical accompaniment.

If anyone is reading this and near the DC area, I highly recommend attending one of the events at Wolf Trap where they do the full orchestra playing the score, it will change how you view/listen to movies forever.

We will see everyone they offer going forward if we are free that date. Was looking forward to the Star Wars one this summer, who knows if it will be on/rescheduled, really looking forward to it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Background music should be just that - background. Not overwhelming. Good examples include, but aren't limited to, Die Hard, the original Star Trek series episode "The Doomsday Machine," and Jonny Quest. (Seriously.) What I can't stand are extended scenes of the characters doing nothing while an extended piece of music plays.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
i]Jonny Quest[/i]. (Seriously.)

I had totally forgotton about this music. Taken by itself, it's actually pretty jazzy for a kids show.

My best friend since 7th grade and I used to make fun of the dialogue pretty regularly. Race Bannon. Sheesh!

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
Sound tracks are utilized to enhance the the scene

This.

Certain scenes with dialogue are brought to another level with a music background underneath.

These examples are not exactly films with weak plots lines.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sergei Prokofiev, whose music I really enjoyed before I lost my hearing, wrote a few compositions that have been used in movies.

Lieutenant Kijé was used in two movies that I know of, first in a movie of that name, about the fictitious Russian army hero. I never did see that movie.

The second was a hilarious comedy, The Horse's Mouth, with Alec Guinness. It was released in the late 1950s. I saw it several times. The Lieutenant Kijé music was perfectly integrated with the plot, and the marriage of the music and the script produced a perfect blend. The Lieutenant Kijé suite can certainly stand on it's own, but I can not imagine the movie without that music. Putting the two together was a stroke of movie making genius.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Background music and for that matter laff tracks too.
They are only good if you DON'T notice them.
Once you do it's like not thinking about the elephant in the room.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the ranting should be about poor film editing rather than the background music. I agree that the music can enhance the mood.

The Jeff Beal score for the Jesse Stone series was so good that I bought the CD.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

I had totally forgotton about this [Jonny Quest] music. Taken by itself, it's actually pretty jazzy for a kids show.

It was used in a number of later Hanna-Barbera "action" cartoons until the ninnies got in an uproar over the "violence."

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Image removed to avoid clutter.

I was hoping that was a clickable link to some soundtrack.
Big Grin

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What would The Good, The Bad and the Ugly be without the music?

Posts: 42 | Location: Southeast Texas | Registered: July 31, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post