SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Found the 9mm ammo pain point
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found the 9mm ammo pain point Login/Join 
Picture of dgrdvm
posted
Well, I was out the other day on a futile primer search , and I notice a few places shelves full of 9mm ammo, of all breeds and types. All you want to buy. At about a buck a round.

Looks like the market, at least around here, has determined how much pain it will tolerate to shoot. Interestingly, I saw 40S&W at half that price.

Any one think this is the peak, or is that naive ?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I have seen range 9mm selling for $1.00 per round. Too rich for my blood. Happy I stocked up when the prices were more reasonable.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it’s reached the high water mark. 22 is the only ammo I even consider buying. I bought some at 18 cents, then it went to 15, and the last batch was 12 cents a round. It’s peaked but the market will take some time to recognize. No one in their right mind will regularly shoot range ammo at a bucks a round.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Kinda funny that 9mm is now selling for more than 10mm.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Caliber diversity...the only diversity I support.

Seriously, having a Glock 23 made it easier to go shooting during the zero years because .40 S&W was easier to get than 9mm.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
We have these little online junk auction houses local to us. One just ended tonight. There were six separate auctions for 100 rounds of 9mm. Mix of Browning, Blazer Brass and Federal.
They ended at:
$89
$92
$68
$89
$94
$92
These were guys reselling. It was all the same ammo that our local Fleet store has been selling for $14.99 a box.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO anyone paying more that 25 cents per round for 9mm is out of their freaking mind. Palin fact is that all anyone really needs is one single box of ammo. Sit on that and wait for the market to recover and stabilize. Because paying these rip off prices will only lead to much higher prices once the market does recover.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen 9mm in a while, locally, when I've had time to look.

Did pick up some .223 for about .40/rd IIRC.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Sold off my 9mm Remington ammo at the gun show. I'd planned on asking $1 a round, but before I could get it out of the duffel, David Carroll jumped on it. So I settled for half my asking price. Still might have made a buck or two...

My primers didn't even make it to the table, either. A guy walking past almost jumped over the table trying to buy it. He named his price and I agreed. Big Grin He also picked off my Randall 1911. All for cash money.

I'd sell off a bunch of my hand loads. Big Grin Gotta go take inventory to see what I've got. Next gunshow is May 1.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Recently saw 9mm on the shelf for about a buck a round, all you wanted. Nobody was buying. Our local online classified has had powder going for $500, $600, even $700 for an eight pound jug. Today I saw a couple of listings for $350.

My spider-sense is telling me that this whole thing is at the high water mark. Nothing major in the way of empirical evidence, but just several small clues. I think in a month spring will be here, Covid restrictions will lift, masks will come off, and everybody will be in a good mood. The feeling of helplessness driving the hoarding will abate, and the market will stabilize.

This is just my predictions. Stores won't be having fire sale pricing on ammo anytime soon, but I don't expect prices to go any higher than now, and inventory will start to be replenished. I'm some guy on the internet, so it must be true.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my area it recently dropped to about 30 bucks a box. Online sellers went from 889 to 779 to 679 per case in a matter of weeks. I believe Remington is back on line with ammo, and it looks like a downward trend on pricing.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
In my area it recently dropped to about 30 bucks a box. Online sellers went from 889 to 779 to 679 per case in a matter of weeks. I believe Remington is back on line with ammo, and it looks like a downward trend on pricing.

30 bucks here as well and availability is improving.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emphatic gesturing and hyperbole. Because you know if 9mm price won’t come down all the others will. Lol

This is a keep your powder dry moment.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Take a good look at this thread, gentlemen. Memorize every post. Savor it. It's the very last "ammunition is obscenely expensive" thread this forum is going to see for a very long time.

Just stop posting this stuff, please. Really, who isn't aware of our current circumstances? It's old, gentlemen, and it doesn't make anything any better or more easily understood. Cease and desist, please.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Overdue.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post