SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm feeling stupid, really stupid.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm feeling stupid, really stupid. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
I lost my Ipad tonight. Not lost it like in the house, think I lost it on the road.

Took it to work to allow me to listen to Sirius. I got sidetracked when leaving. It was in a black cloth case. As I was leaving work in the parking lot a co-worker came up as I was packing my saddlebags, I was on the bike and think I may have set it on the passenger seat.

Got home, 32 miles, unloading the bags, realized it was not in there. Went back to work, got into the building as the Riding Academy was still in session. Nope, not inside. Searched the parking lot, nothing, retraced my route home, nothing.

Reported the CC's saved in it as lost, called Apple. Set it up to "brick" the next time it is connected to the Internet. So far, it has not been connected and activated.

It was about a two hundred dollar Ipad, not earth shattering but still. Worst thing is that a lot of photos are lost forever if it does not turn up. Grandsons, my first Jeep off roading, things like that. I should have upgraded for more iCloud storage but didn't think I needed it. Well, guess again dummy.

Not insured against loss so I'll wait until around the holidays to replace it if I do so. Only possible saving grace is that I took a rebate slip today with me to photocopy, all filled out for twenty some dollars back on a Mobil 1 purchase, all filled out and in the front pouch. Maybe if someone finds it they could if so inclined get it back to me, yeah sure, fat chance most likely.

Sorry for wallowing in self pity, I'm just pissed at myself.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Could you not use the 'find my iPad' feature like an iPhone on iCloud?

I misplaced my iPhone once at work and used a coworkers iPhone to log into my account and find the iPhone..
It showed me exactly where the phone was located.

Also if you subbed to an iCloud account, your photos should be on the cloud.
Properly setup, it saves them automatically.

Good luck....

EDIT;
I reread the OP and see you didn't have extra iCloud storage..
Sorry......

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a Wi-Fi only, no cellular connection so I just checked a little while ago, no activity on it. I tried using the search function in the parking lot, all that showed was that my Iphone was there an hour before.

I got inside the building and did not find it though. Both of the guys I worked with today are aware, one of them works tomorrow and he said he will look for it also.

Once I arrived home I immediately turned around and retraced my route. Just after leaving work part of the roadway is elevated, crossing over three expressways, if it flipped off there it is down in tall grass, probably a slim to never chance between that and the slope of the shoulders to find it.

But, on another subject, it is surprising how much debris and trash alongside the road is black, food continers, parts of auto underbody shields, trash bags. I got all excited at one point until I saw it was a brush of some sort, the angle looked close to the size. Well, until I saw the yellow bristles.......

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry! I know the feeling of losing a device, and you’re right, it’s not so much about how much it actually cost as it is about what you have on it. I really hope it turns up.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A co-worker of mine laid his unholstered duty weapon on the roof of his personal car and hit the road! So did the gun. We never found it.
And he managed to keep his job! Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I know someone, who did a traffic stop, then put his clipboard down on the trunk of his squad (a Crown Vic), finished dealing with the driver, and cleared the scene. About 10 minutes later he drove through the same intersection and wondered what all the paper and pieces of aluminum in the center of the intersection were.

He stopped to check, and the penny dropped. He spent the next 15 minutes picking up every piece of debris he could find and then later on, bought a new clipboard.

This is the first time he has divulged this story AFAIK.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A co-worker of mine laid his unholstered duty weapon on the roof of his personal car and hit the road! So did the gun. We never found it.
And he managed to keep his job! Roll Eyes

I know a guy who did that with a department-issued shotgun. He did not manage to keep his job.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

A co-worker of mine laid his unholstered duty weapon on the roof of his personal car and hit the road! So did the gun. We never found it. And he managed to keep his job! Roll Eyes
That’s nothing! Orlando Chief of Police left her duty pistol on the seat of her unlocked car, where it was promptly stolen.

Incompetent to be the HMFIC cop, she is now the congresswoman for that district.

Peter Principle.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going back to work again this morning to recheck.

posted Hide Post
I misplaced my wife's iPad. Went and bought her a new one (iPad is the only device she used). Three days later we found it on top of the fridge Frown Arghhh, I set it someplace "safe" when I was cooking. Hope you find yours soon.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the s*******m continues. Power is out at home, can't leave because I'm going to have to set up the generator for the sump pump. Damn high water table.

I did call into work to the receptionist, she said nobody turned it in so back to square one.

Not to mention the adult daughter's phone call last night, something between her and her sister and brother in law, I told her to figure it out.

On the only positive thing today, I got most of the grass cut before the storms rolled through!

posted Hide Post
Years ago did that with an Ipod and the seat back in a plane. No one turned in it, well before there were any passwords on them. Apple was actually nice and gave me a decent discount on another new one. After that switched to bright/funky colors cases so I can easily spot. Good luck

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like I said, s******* continues. On the way to a friend's to pick up his more trustworthy generator to run my refrigerator the power came back on. So I was almost at work as I was going to stop there first.

The only other business open yesterday, I talked to them, nobody turned it in. Went to work, looked for a half hour then proceeded to walk the route I took for about a mile and a half both sides of the guardrail to no avail.

And when I started the Jeep up in the parking lot something blew out in my exhaust, now sounds like some crap poor ass tuner car. I can't catch a break here today. Only thing is that nobody has tried to turn the iPad on so far.

I'm staying home for the rest of the night, going to drop the Jeep off at my friend's shop tomorrow.

To think I was pissed a couple of weeks back when I lost my Spyderco! That was a bad clip, that I know for sure. This time because I'm a dumbass.

Thanks everybody for letting me rant.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
There is an option to place a message on the lock screen... I think... I put one on the lock screen on my MacBook Pro that has my phone numbers and asks the finder to please call... just in case an honest person finds it. It makes it very easy to contact the owner.

I hope you had it backed up.

A few years ago I had a grandkid leave an iPad under the mattress at a hotel. They "hid" it there when we went out they said and forgot it when leaving for home. Roll Eyes
Six months, yes SIX, later it activated for an instant in a very dense neighborhood a few miles from the hotel but we could only narrow it to maybe a dozen or more houses, GPS seems to be better now. We were home and hundreds of miles away from it so I never followed up and it never phoned home again.

Short version of another story... After running a portable air tank that I stuck in unloading auger of a silage wagon to carry it with me and having forgotten it, I later proceeded to unload the wagon and dumped the tank into a silage blower, running at speed, causing me ~12 hours of repair time on the blower and a new air tank I now try REAL hard to not lay anything down like that, or on a car etc.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Did you use it on the pooper at work? I mention this because I have found them in a stall before.

And my power has been out since 12:30. Sucks but at least the generator is keeping my wife’s aquariums going.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Did you use it on the pooper at work? I mention this because I have found them in a stall before.

And my power has been out since 12:30. Sucks but at least the generator is keeping my wife’s aquariums going.

Nope, packed up and was in the process of leaving when a co-worker pulled next to me, I'm sure I set it on the passenger seat, it was in a black case, seat is black, got distracted and off I went. And off it went too.

I went back and walked the shop this afternoon to no avail. Still has not been connected to the 'net so who knows?

posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel any better.
The wife and I went to Menards to buy some Deck boards( lucked out and they had them), when we went to pay, we had a gift card and a rebate coupon for $150. Wife says, hey I have the gift card, but cannot find the rebate coupon..
I run(actually run) to parking lot and look in truck. Nope, followed our route from the truck, through the store and about 20 ft from the check out, I see it on the floor. The wifey dropped it out of her purse.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least you found it. I've been scrambling since last night to change saved passwords, cancel CC's in the device.

Just crashed the bank account trying to change the PW,at least that is locked down until tomorrow morning, if there is any silver lining to any of this.

Still don't believe that I could be this stupid.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

You're far from alone, my friend. While not nearly on the same level (cost of item, cost of changing login credentials, etc.), I did something not all that different not long ago. Used a decent pocket knife to open something at a store to check it more closely for "fit." Laid my knife on the display shelf, looked at it, thought "I better pocket that thing or I'll forget it. Nah, I won't." I did. Gone.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

You're far from alone, my friend. While not nearly on the same level (cost of item, cost of changing login credentials, etc.), I did something not all that different not long ago. Used a decent pocket knife to open something at a store to check it more closely for "fit." Laid my knife on the display shelf, looked at it, thought "I better pocket that thing or I'll forget it. Nah, I won't." I did. Gone.

Guess you missed my post about three weeks ago. Lost my Spiderco Delica I got just after my initial CPL, bought it at Metropolitan Police Supply in Berkley. Clip must have loosened up on it again. Had that one since '02, cost me fifty bucks or so out the door. This one was eighty four from Cabela's, drop shipped from Spyderco. I was going to order from Amazon but there are a lot of counterfeits out there too, figured Cabela's was a safe bet especially how communications are presently from Amazon.