SIGforum
I'm feeling stupid, really stupid.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1480015274

July 20, 2020, 08:09 AM
Muddflap
I'm feeling stupid, really stupid.
I guess I don’t know this for a fact, but in order to put credit cards on an iPad or iPhone, I thought you had to use facial recognition, fingerprints, or the 4 or 6 digit pin. If that’s true, if someone tries 10 unsuccessful times to log in, the iPad will erase itself. The most they can do, without logging on, is a full blown “Reset All Settings”. Either way anything not saved somewhere will be lost, but your cards and data will be safe.
July 20, 2020, 08:44 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Guess you missed my post about three weeks ago. Lost my Spiderco Delica I got just after my initial CPL, bought it at Metropolitan Police Supply in Berkley. Clip must have loosened up on it again.

Would that it had been my Delica. That one I can replace. This was a Boker frame lock knife they don't make any more that I was kind of fond of Frown

Re: Clip screws: I've gotten in the habit of putting a touch of Loctite Blue on the ones that have a propensity to loosen-up.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
July 23, 2020, 07:14 AM
MMSIG229
You guys are amateurs!!! Never ever put anything on a roof of a car or on the back bumper!!! I've lost cell phone, car keys, and who knows what else that way!! At the police dept I've had some real goodies. I made a court run once to drop off paperwork, and pick up stuff to go back to our records dept. The usual recalled warrants, paid tickets, court dispositions etc. The stuff coming back was in a big envelope. I must have set it on top of the car at the court and left. When I got back to the station (about a 25 minute drive)I couldn't find the envelope. I was wedged under the lightbar. More recently I came in to work mids. I went to load up and opened the passenger door. There was a laser laying on the front seat. I opened the door with my right hand, took out the laser (worth several thousand dollars)and you guessed it, put it on the roof of the cruiser.I then put my duty bag on the front seat, strapped it in, and shut the door. Being dark outside I never noticed the laser. Off I went on my shift. The next day one of my co-workers was approached by someone once he had cleared a call. They handed him the laser saying," did one of your guys lose this?" He had found it in the road somewhere. It hadn't been run over or damaged in any way!! God watches out for fools and policemen, sometimes one in the same!!!
July 23, 2020, 07:36 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by MMSIG229:
You guys are amateurs!!! Never ever put anything on a roof of a car or on the back bumper!!!

I've done this several times, and so far have been lucky enough to lose only a cup of coffee or soft drink.

When in doubt, mumble
July 23, 2020, 09:00 AM
shovelhead
Well I've given up on it turning up. The find my ipad app has turned up nothing. Has not been powered up, it will wipe clean immediately. The rebate form for the motor oil was filled out with my address but since it rained over the weekend the ink and paper probably both are unreadable. That is if anyone who found it is honest enough to return it,ha!

I went to work Monday, turned off the app and tried to "ping" it to no avail so put the wipeout mode back on. Walked a couple of more parts of my route home in the tall weeds, nothing. So, that chapter is over.

Thanks for letting me vent, I was beating myself up pretty bad over this. But on a brighter side, the Jeep no longer sounds like a broke ass tuner car, my friend's shop fixed it yesterday for less than a hundred dollars, two bolts rusted away that connect the y-pipe to the muffler. I could have fixed it I suppose but I really hate to lie on my back and work on rusty stuff. The grief that I would have gone through with that, well it was worth it to have it done.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
July 25, 2020, 08:30 PM
shovelhead
Well yesterday I bought a new iPad. Target had it on sale, net after that and applying for the red card it cost me about twenty dollars more that the lost one did and that is without waiting until the Black Friday sales.

Thanks for listening to me piss and moan!

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
July 26, 2020, 07:21 AM
Blume9mm
MMSIG229 actually said it best...
"Never put anything on the roof or hood of a car"

It took me three times to learn this in my work, I drive a van and would put my note book on the hood of the van while packing up tools... and each time would tell myself not to forget it and then would. Note book, with paper work and checks and such would fly off somewhere between 45 & 50 mph. Oh, and one time I left the Garmin gps receiver for my employee/ dog's tracking collar on the hood... never found it. Cost me $600 to replace.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
July 26, 2020, 07:53 PM
slabsides45
Cue the rediscovery of the old ipad in some bizarre twist of universal fate....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
July 27, 2020, 05:12 PM
shovelhead
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Cue the rediscovery of the old ipad in some bizarre twist of universal fate....

Not unless I find it alongside the road submerged in a ditch somewhere in those thirty two miles of commute.

July 29, 2020, 07:46 AM
sigcrazy7
In the summer of 1987 I lost two boxes of 30-30 ammo off the back seat of my motorcycle while driving home from work. I backtracked and slow drove the entire route but they were gone. Still not over it. Smile

Hope you find your iPad. You can’t replace pictures. Good luck.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus