SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How is it that bright, intellegent people pre child
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How is it that bright, intellegent people pre child Login/Join 
posted
become complete dipshits after kids.

I have seen this more than once. They pick a dumb ass cause, anti vax, guns, glutards, only bottled juice, non name brand ceral. Some dumb assery that becomes a life movement for them.

Almost as if they were over compensating for having a kid. 'oh shit, i have a brat, i must show brat that i am adult!! ug ug '

sigh....

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Have you any children?

It is one of those things you may understand better, once having your own.

Not that one will do or support such nonsense as is often encountered by having children, but having children often changes how one views things.

Some people already are aware and think "forward", as it were, and some only realize a thing when the perception changes.

Sort of like buying a specific vehicle, and then noticing how many of them are on the road, that your did not notice before.

And some people are loons that simply step up the stairs of stupid because a smaller version of them is starting up the first step.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell, my parents didn't even stop smoking when they started having children! Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, i have two. 15/16. Not all parents mind you. Just some seem to jump way off the edge.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well

I haven't been exactly sane since I became a Father. I absolutely drink a lot more....

but I ain't fallen for any of that stupid shit Smile

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I announced to my Father that I was soon to have a child he said:
"Good! Now you can see what a pain in the ass it is"!
Thanks, Dad!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Hell, my parents didn't even stop smoking when they started having children! Wink

Yea, as a kid, we took x-country trips from CA to IL in the summer with the AC on; both parents smoked. My sister and I practically died in the back seat.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I think it changes after several kids are born. Perspective changes.

With the first kid, Mom & Dad are excited, scared to death, worried, etc. The Grandparents are also excited to get their first grandchild.

The new baby is doted on, adored, bragged on, spoiled, so on and so forth, etc etc etc. Gazallions of pictures and videos are taken!

The new first child is watched like a hawk, "helicoptered" by Mom & Dad, if the kid falls, burns or cuts itself, it's practically a catastrophe and off to the ER we go!

Fast forward after several more kids are born. Try being kid #5, you're loved and all that, but the newness is worn off. You're just not "helicoptered" as the first and second one.

Oh you fell down, get up! You're fine! Shake it off! No you don't need the designer clothes, designer foods, vegan free and organic free range sustainably harvested food and drink!
Get up and get over it!

You want the best for your kiddos, yet after a few years of experience, as time goes by, things settle down.

Kids are durable! Love'em all, treasure them while they're young. Pretty soon they'll be teenagers!

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

Yea, as a kid, we took x-country trips from CA to IL in the summer with the AC on; both parents smoked. My sister and I practically died in the back seat.

We took the same type of car trips and did not use seatbelts. Somehow we lived!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

We took the same type of car trips and did not use seatbelts. Somehow we lived!!!!!!!!

would you strap a child in now, or just let them wander in the car as you cruised?

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
We took the same type of car trips and did not use seatbelts. Somehow we lived!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I'll one up you on this!

My Dad, a very practical and handy guy, had given me a canoe for my birthday one year and it was too heavy for me to haul down to the lake myself so Dad did what he did and built me a dolly of sorts out of wood, a pair of bike forks/wheels and then removed the seat belts from my Mom's car so I could secure said canoe onto the dolly....seat belts were not an option in that car from that point forward

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
We stopped at two...but you get the idea about this universal truth Wink...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
When I left home at age 17, our cars had no seat belts. Only cars I knew of that had seat belts were the jalopys that ran on the dirt track Saturday nights.

Wife and I decided early on that we were only going to have one kid. Why?

Because we realized that as a professional soldier being transferred all over hell at a moment's notice that we could raise one kid and raise her as we thought she should be raised.

Discipline was important to us as we were very often in public, traveling on orders, etc etc.

Daughter got spanked pretty regularly because she had a mind of her own and would test me.

In-laws said that she would grow up hating me because of the spankings.

When I got back from Iran my MIL told me that daughter had cried for her daddy every night until I got back. And, MIL admitted that she had needed those spankings.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember sleeping on the "package shelf" behind the rear seat on our cross-country trip.
Oh, and A/C? No, we had 6 V DC and open windows. Stopped somewhere in Kansas to stretch out on the grass of a park to cool off.

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Pretty funny thread!
A very good friend of mine told me, "Don't ever have kids. If you retrograde abort them at 3 yrs old, everybody is just going to get pissed off." (he knew me well)

He said, "We picked up our first kid every time he squeaked. We ended up with a little puke who was a PITA. The second kid we ignored when he squeaked and he can entertain himself without having to be the center of attention."
It was obvious visiting him which kid was which...and I don't mean by size or age.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Many first-time parents think the kid is a delicate flower or porcelain vase or something, but when they find out they aren't that fragile, they become less uptight, blasé even, with subsequent ones. But I don't agree with extremes like gluten phobia and "anti-vax." In fact, my kid would get "the vax" for everything. "Sorry kid, but in 20 or 30 years you'll be thanking me."

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its the sudden lack of sex.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Its the sudden lack of sex.

Truth be spoken.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the 1960’s my grandfather drove nothing but Chrysler Imperials. They had this neat armrest in the middle of the back seat. Folded down, that was my seat until I got too big for it.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post