SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Be thankful for simple things
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be thankful for simple things Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Like being able to use both your arms.

12 days ago I dislocated my right shoulder while on a trip up in Alaska. It happened in a flash. I turned, twisted, tripped, half fell in the water between the boat and the bank tried to catch myself, and before I knew what happed, my right arm stopped working. It just hung there. I had just landed the seconded largest trout I've ever caught in my life. But the fun was over.

The guide and my friend got me seated back in the boat for the 20 Minute ride to the dock. From there we had a 20 minute ride to the only little medical clinic in Naknek. Don't go here, unless a shot or a bandaid will fix you. I had three ladies try their darnedest to relocate my shoulder, but no luck. After the 4th attempt to get me set up for an IV, they were finally successful. I was finally given some morphine, but it sure wasn't enough, and it sure didn't last very long. They did not have the proper meds to loosen up my muscles enough to make the process work. So..did I mention the pain!!

Despite the fact we had access to a fast private aircraft, they had Guardian activated, and an hour later I was in the back of a King Air, just like the kind I used to fly. The PA couldn't allow private transport because of all the drugs they had pumped into me. Despite all the pain I'm thinking I am now a seriously indebted person.

Little did I know, you can literally sign up for emergency transport insurance while they are loading you up. I haven't seen what the bill would have been, but I'd venture 40k would be a good start. So my friends, keep this in mind when you go on an extended vacation, that a temporary policy like this might just be a great idea. $50 will cover ya for a few weeks. $125-$150 and you are set for the year.

Once I arrived at Providence ER in Anchorage, they got to work quickly. They redid my needle for the IV, gave me some more drugs, a shot in my shoulder to relax it, and within 30-40 minutes had things back where they belonged. I don't think I was there even 2 hours. I was wondering if any of our SIGForum folks might work their, but didn't ask. Did I mention that is now like the 7th or 8th time I've been poked. You should see the bruises that showed up later.

Not too drugged up, I was released, got a cab, and made it to a nearby hotel where my wife had kindly found me a room. I half ate a small meal and tried to get some sleep. What a day.

8:30 am the next mornin and my phone is ringing. Are you up for an 11 am ride back to King Salmon? Sure, what the hell, I'm gonna have to get back down south somehow. So, less than 20 hours from when I left, I'm back in King Salmon. At least I get another full day to rest before the trip is over.

They find a few pilots to piece together a crew for the return trip, and in less than a day, I'm back home.

Once home I go see my regular doc, who orders an MRI, sets an appointment with an ortho doc, and after 7 days of being home, finally get completely checked out. Luckily I suffered minimal damage, and just need some physical therapy to whip me back into a useful state. My previous rotor cuff repair wasn't destroyed. I'm already back to being able to cut my own food up..ha. It's amazing how much range of motion you loose when your arm is in a sling because of all this.

Things leaned. When you are in some of the worst pain you'll ever experience, you need people. And most everyone wants to help, even if they don't know how. Accidents happen in a flash. Due to no ones fault, you can easily get hurt in the blink of an eye. Be thankful when people are looking out for you, don't be an ass. Wear safety gear, take first aid kits, be smart. Don't just think about that little extra insurance, get it.

Be kind, be thankful, be genuine, be humble. Just because you can wipe yer own butt or feed yourself, or dress yourself today, doesn't mean you will be able to that in the next hour. We're all in this together and you never know who you could be depending upon just moments from now.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one hell of a trip. How big was the trout you landed? Were you fishing for steelheads?

Glad in the end, you fared okay and nothing permanent was done. Heal fast my friend.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Sounds like one hell of a trip. How big was the trout you landed? Were you fishing for steelheads?

Glad in the end, you fared okay and nothing permanent was done. Heal fast my friend.

27 inch rainbow. Big healthy fish. I think he has a pic of me on his mantel now... Thanks, it's gonna take some time to get it all back.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great story, with a good ending. What a trip.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
When I get my time travel machine working, I'm going back, punch Newton in the taint and steal his apple.

I'll send you the apple...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you're OK.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
When I get my time travel machine working, I'm going back, punch Newton in the taint and steal his apple.

I'll send you the apple...

Heck, take me with you! I want to buy some stock in a few companies.

FBLM LGB!

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Keep up the physical therapy. You don't want to end up with secondary adhesive capsulitis "frozen shoulder" later on.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Like being able to use both your arms.
"Be kind, be thankful, be genuine, be humble. Just because you can wipe yer own butt or feed yourself, or dress yourself today, doesn't mean you will be able to that in the next hour. We're all in this together and you never know who you could be depending upon just moments from now."

coloradohunter, truer words could not ever be spoken. I'm sorry for your ordeal.

I learned just how humbling an experience like the loosing the ability to function. When I was hospitalized for brain surgery and stroked. I had to undergo several months of inpatient rehab to relearn all basic functioning like getting dressed, learning to walk, eat just the simple things I took for granted. Having other's bathe you or help you clean yourself after the bathroom was definitely at the very top of being humbled...I'll never ever forget those remarkable days and my appreciation for the good folks that helped me and kept me at ease. God Bless them.

I'm reminded the first real vivid thing I remember a few days after my surgery is being on a gurney in the hallway and seeing my neurosurgeon for the first time, I just wept and thanked him for saving my life..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post