SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Possible Exposure to Hepatitis A at Dunkin Donuts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible Exposure to Hepatitis A at Dunkin Donuts Login/Join 
posted
So my wife is a regular customer at a local franchisee owned Dunkin Donuts. A hepatitis A infected worker there may have served my wife more than once. (The employee is no longer employed there.) The health department is strongly recommending an inoculation, and my wife is getting one now. (The cost is $97) As long as she doesn't get sick, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for reimbursement for the inoculation from corporate. Not looking to sue (as long as she doesn't get sick). I'll send them a copy and see what happens. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
A local Popeye's Chicken gave me exposure to hepatitis about 6 weeks ago. I got the shot at CVS, with no out of pocket. Obviously that could be due to differences in insurance coverage. Nonetheless, it couldn't hurt to ask.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. It happened to be a hospital cafeteria worker and they provided a nurse to give injections.

I would send a brief letter asking for reimbursement for the shot. Just be sure to send it to the right person.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worth a stamp, maybe, But they can come back and say they had no knowledge of the workers health before the Hep was discovered and sorry bout the 97 bucks.
And if it comes to light they knew about his Hep and let him work anyway, it is quite possibly a criminal offense.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I remember a time when food service workers had to have a “health card”.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yep. It happened to be a hospital cafeteria worker and they provided a nurse to give injections.

I would send a brief letter asking for reimbursement for the shot. Just be sure to send it to the right person.

With a copy of the receipt/invoice

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Worth a stamp, maybe, But they can come back and say they had no knowledge of the workers health before the Hep was discovered and sorry bout the 97 bucks.
And if it comes to light they knew about his Hep and let him work anyway, it is quite possibly a criminal offense.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes they could buy a lot of bad publicity doing that. They can pay the bill without admitting fault, and perhaps create some goodwill.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
So my wife is a regular customer at a local franchisee owned Dunkin Donuts. A hepatitis A infected worker there may have served my wife more than once. (The employee is no longer employed there.) The health department is strongly recommending an inoculation, and my wife is getting one now. (The cost is $97) As long as she doesn't get sick, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for reimbursement for the inoculation from corporate. Not looking to sue (as long as she doesn't get sick). I'll send them a copy and see what happens. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Are restaurants prohibited from hiring people with Hep A in your jurisdiction?

What makes you think your wife was exposed to it any more than normal?

So long as the Dunkin Donuts was enforcing it's food safety rules, including requiring employees to wash their hands before returning to work, I don't see how they would owe you anything...

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
You should be able to file a claim with their liability carrier. I’ve never seen a commercial general liability policy that didn’t have a med-pay provision (no-fault, low cap, like PIP coverage on your auto insurance) which should certainly cover the $97. Unless the adjuster is an idiot.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
????? What is normal exposure for Hepatitis A? I do not expect fecal matter with my donuts on a regular basis. Your experience may differ.LOL

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

quote:
From the Original Post:
The health department is strongly recommending an inoculation

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good points to consider, in particular contacting the franchisee's liability carrier if their corporate office doesn't respond. Like I said in my post, I'm not looking to make this a pay day for "pain and suffering." I would think that the company or franchisee would want to keep a long time customer happy for public relations reasons alone, especially since we would be made whole for a mere $97. The health department did recommend that all customers get a Hep A shot.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I do not expect fecal matter with my donuts on a regular basis.
Well, it is Dunkin' Donuts, after all.

Now if it were Krispy Kreme, we would expect a clean, quality product.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I do not expect fecal matter with my donuts on a regular basis.
Well, it is Dunkin' Donuts, after all.

Now if it were Krispy Kreme, we would expect a clean, quality product.

I never eat or drink anything from Dunkin Donuts. That's why my wife needed the shot, and I did not. I'm more health conscious than she is, which is part of the reason why I don't patronize DD. There are no Krispy Kreme stores anywhere close by. I do admit that I have eaten a few donuts at Krispy Kreme when I have had to travel. Damn their donuts are good.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Are they testing the employee now? Hearing a lot about this lately... I bet this is WAY more wide spread than we realize.

And they would definitely be paying for the shot. If not, blow up their Twitter account.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:

I never eat or drink anything from Dunkin Donuts.
I drink coffee at home, and I sometimes take some with me in a Thermos type mug. If I am out and about and have not brought coffee with me from home, both Dunkin' Donuts and McDonads (believe it or not) sell a premium coffee that's fairly decent. Way better than the Starbucks crap, and much more reasonably priced.

If I want a donut type thing, Taco Bell has little golf ball cinnamon pastry things that are good.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
quote:
ou should be able to file a claim with their liability carrier. I’ve never seen a commercial general liability policy that didn’t have a med-pay provision (no-fault, low cap, like PIP coverage on your auto insurance) which should certainly cover the $97. Unless the adjuster is an idiot.-Rob

Send it to them but I would make sure you do not sign a release for a $97 check.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
How did you find out the employee had Hepatitis? Just curious.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
How did you find out the employee had Hepatitis? Just curious.

https://www.foxnews.com/health...s-a-customers-warned

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
That wasn't chocolate frosting...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post