SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Take out orders
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take out orders Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of take out when I travel because typically I don't want to sit in a restaurant alone and I have learned that if you don't ask you pretty much never get condiments. I always ask for salt, pepper and ketchup or BBQ sauce if I have fries.

On another note I have also noticed that on average if a restaurant has burgers but doesn't have doesn't have just a fairly basic cheeseburger then most of the food there is marginal at best. I don't order burgers a lot but I almost always check out that section of the menu first to see what they offer. I feel like you can get a pretty good feel of a restaurant based on the burger selection.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
It is my experience that if I don't specifically ask for ketchup with my to go order, I won't get it. And that's no matter where I go. So it's your fault for not asking. That's just the way it is in the world today.

I agree with this. I understand the burger is $14... I understand the cost of condiments is probably minimal for them, but why would they give you something you didn't ask for? Maybe they should ASK if you want any condiments for your to-go order, but I don't know why they would just throw ketchup in the bag without any conversation of putting ketchup in the bag... that's a waste of money for the restaurant

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
that's a waste of money for the restaurant

If a restaurant tossed a handful of unrequested condiments in each and every bag, 90% of it would find its way into the trash.

If you knew how much money was spent on these things, you'd understand why the savings are important to the restaurant.

Ask, and ye shall receive. If you don't ask, you will likely end up without.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Conversely, if I do ask for just 2 packets of ketchup, I am then rewarded with a huge handful of ketchup dropped into my bag. All of which, except 2 packets, end up in the trash.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
My brother is a very picky eater so every time we go out he orders a plain burger or something else plain. It's amazing how many people, fast food or regular restaurant, can't seem to get it right. I'm glad I'm not very picky so I just eat whatever the decide to give me... It's like a surprise every time I order something.

Also regarding Mexican food it's amazing to me when something comes with guacamole and you'd rather have sour cream because I don't really like guacamole and they charge you $2-3 for sour cream instead. It's just strange because guacamole costs more than sour cream you'd think they would just swap it out.

This is my hell when eating out also. I don't want all the crap that restaurants put on the food. No matter how clearly I state "just lettuce and onions" or something like that I get ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles, etc. Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Burger was well done and dry even though I ordered medium. The burger felt like it was put in a compressor. So not only dry but hard. And tasteless...I had to request holding everything, especially the aioli. Just tomatoes.
Based on your order, you should receive a medium burger with a tomato. Therefore, you should only be mad about cooking it well done.

If you want a burger with a tomato and ketchup on the side then you need to order it that way.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I guess it didn't occur to me to ask. At home, condiments are usually provided for whatever I order. Burger and fries comes with ketchup (enough for both). Fish and chips comes with malt vinegar. Chinese food comes with soy sauce (I've actually asked the restaurant to stop giving me utensils, soy sauce, fortune cookies etc because I have all I need at home - just need the food), pizza comes with grated cheese and peppers on the side, mexican comes with chips and salsa (not even a condiment, just table courtesy) and even wedges of lime.

At home, when I order takeout, I usually want for nothing even though I eat it at home.

So, again, it never occurred to me to ask for condiments, especially in a resort town where most of the people here are tourists where people probably don't have a well stocked kitchen. But in the future, I will surely ask. I guess ketchup with fries at least is not common.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Y'know how if you go to a Mexican restaurant and sit down they bring you chips and salsa. And it's usually bottomless?

It's bottomless in part because anything you leave behind gets dumped back into the bowl and is served to the next patron.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
as a former chef, picky people like you drove us crazy and some I worked with even got upset when people would want a signature dish but order that everything that made it a signature dish be removed.
You're joking, right? If I am paying for food in a restaurant, I want it to taste the way I like it, not the way that the cook thinks it should be. If I don't want an ingredient (which I might even be allergic to), I fully expect to be able to order the dish without that ingredient. Example: I abhor the taste of most vinegar. I want to be able to order my salad with a non-vinegar dressing. Or if you have some dish with a "vinaigrette" sauce, I want to order it without the sauce. It's my money, and if you don't want my business just say so up front.

Allergies are one thing.

Walking into a regular sit-down restaurant with the idea that you're at Burger King and are going to dictate to the chef, who put a lot of thought and effort into coming up with the components of a dish, how he's to make it is a different thing altogether.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it didn't occur to me to ask. At home, condiments are usually provided for whatever I order. Burger and fries comes with ketchup (enough for both). Fish and chips comes with malt vinegar. Chinese food comes with soy sauce (I've actually asked the restaurant to stop giving me utensils, soy sauce, fortune cookies etc because I have all I need at home - just need the food), pizza comes with grated cheese and peppers on the side, mexican comes with chips and salsa (not even a condiment, just table courtesy) and even wedges of lime.

At home, when I order takeout, I usually want for nothing even though I eat it at home.

So, again, it never occurred to me to ask for condiments, especially in a resort town where most of the people here are tourists where people probably don't have a well stocked kitchen. But in the future, I will surely ask. I guess ketchup with fries at least is not common.
Do you ask for hold everything at these other restaurants? I suspect that is the reason for you not receiving condiments.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Actually, I do ask to hold the 'special sauce' and lettuce. I don't care for wilted lettuce. And yet they still include ketchup on the side. Not sure why on the side is only by request in other areas. Lesson learned. I guess people like fries without ketchup.

I guess another thing in this restaurant -- usually places I found will have a 'normal burger and then offer other special burgers. This microbrew only had two burgers - both special. Maybe some people don't like blue cheese on their burgers, Or whatever. Not sure why it's so difficult to just offer a hamburger on the menu.

Second surprise for me was not expecting this to be so contentious here. Smile Big country and different expectations I guess.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
Conversely, if I do ask for just 2 packets of ketchup, I am then rewarded with a huge handful of ketchup dropped into my bag. All of which, except 2 packets, end up in the trash.

No they end up the fridge or a drawer for a few months and then go into the trash. Wink

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I get being pissed about being served a leather burger when you asked for medium,

There's my side bitch, why when you order food for four people do they give you three napkins? Or if you order wings or ribs they give you enough napkins for eating a turkey sandwich?
Leather burgers. Blech! Knowing that burgers are ALWAYS overcooked by take-out joints, I ask for them rare, hoping that they might actually be medium rare or at worst, medium. Inevitably, I receive a piece of incinerated hockey puck.

Napkins? You get napkins with your order? Cool!

A lot of places won't cook it rare because of e coli or something.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess ketchup with fries at least is not common.

I've noticed that it has become noticeably less common than in my youth.

When I take the kids out to eat the most common requested dip is Ranch, followed by Bleu Cheese. I've also noticed in increase in fries with salt and pepper

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Fries go with three things and three things only:

1. Salt
2. Ketchup
3. Gravy

In that order.

1 and 2 can and should go together.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't trust to go orders. Too many errors.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

1. Salt
2. Ketchup
3. Gravy

In that order.

No cheese fries for you? A local place does fries with a few kinds of cheese melted over them (not that soupy from a can stuff) and some real bacon bits. They go great with wings.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
I guess ketchup with fries at least is not common.

I've noticed that it has become noticeably less common than in my youth.

When I take the kids out to eat the most common requested dip is Ranch, followed by Bleu Cheese. I've also noticed in increase in fries with salt and pepper

I need to get out more. Chain burger, I'll usually go to Islands. Then there are a few upscale burger places near home. Usually salt, pepper, ketchup. 3 sigma is mustard and or mayo. Haven't seen blue cheese or ranch for fries. I'm just old and set. Coffee, black. Etc. I guess those are the kind of places I gravitate towards.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

1. Salt
2. Ketchup
3. Gravy

In that order.

Haven't seen gravy. How about wedge cut with chili?

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

1. Salt
2. Ketchup
3. Gravy

In that order.

You're missing out

Jack's Urban Eats, Urban Fries: Ranch and Blue Cheese, blue cheese crumbles, chili oil, chili flakes and parsley

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post