SIGforum
Sitting in my parked truck atop the Mattews bridge

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1430041754

May 25, 2019, 05:17 PM
SpinZone
Sitting in my parked truck atop the Mattews bridge
About 10 cars back from the overturned car blocking both lanes and I am watching the rubberneckers in the oncoming lanes coming to a complete stop while traffic backs up behind them as far as i can see. Assholes.

At least the view from here is pretty nice.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

May 25, 2019, 05:34 PM
soflaac
As long as the rubberneckers are completely stopping traffic in an otherwise un-affected lane......they should be pulled to the side and publically flogged.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave
May 25, 2019, 08:56 PM
YooperSigs
This used to happen to me:
Wrecked vehicles scattered about. Ambulances, (occasionally a cool helicopter) fire trucks, tow trucks, flares and my patrol car with many flashy lights going full blast parked blocking the street.
People would pull up to me and ask: "Is there an accident up there"?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
May 25, 2019, 09:37 PM
shovelhead
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Wrecked vehicles scattered about. Ambulances, (occasionally a cool helicopter) fire trucks, tow trucks, flares and my patrol car with many flashy lights going full blast parked blocking the street.

Should have told them one of two things,

We are having a first responders convention

or:

We are showing the taxpayers all the nice shiny toys they bought for us

"Loved" gawkers though. It was always funny when things got real though. Like the night we pulled a car off a gas meter/pipe loop that crashed into a barber shop. Once they figured out that we could not shut off the gas until we got the car off of it, that we were going to spray water on it in hope of keeping sparks from igniting the gas while winching it off, then they all got back waaaaay waaaaay away! No sense of adventure I tell you.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
May 25, 2019, 09:46 PM
Otto Pilot
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Should have told them one of two things,

or:

We are showing the taxpayers all the nice shiny toys they bought for us
"Nope, someone radioed in there was a doughnut truck turned over...here's your sign." [With regards to Bill Engvall]

People who write their own comedy are the best to deal with.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon
May 25, 2019, 10:26 PM
mr kablammo
Even more fucked up is the second accident caused by dimbulbs gawking at the first accident.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
May 26, 2019, 12:04 PM
ryan81986
quote:

Ohh I'm gonna remember that one...

June 02, 2019, 11:29 AM
GregY
Rubbernecking delays. Hate them.

Hard to think of anything more purely a pointless waste of other people's time than rubbernecking.
June 05, 2019, 11:31 AM
ffemt44
my go to was always “submarine surfaced in the wrong place” or “train derailed” where there are no tracks.
June 05, 2019, 01:10 PM
CoolRich59

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant