SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Being drug to the rainbow bridge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being drug to the rainbow bridge Login/Join 
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted
I had to go to town today. Along the side of the road, there was a dog. It lifted it's head as I passed. I had thought it dead on initial approach. Slowed to a stop, backed up. She had definitely been hit by a car. Other than her back end being injured, there were only a few outward signs of injury. She didn't whelp when I picked her up. She seemed to know I was there to help. Ended up taking her to a vet. We discussed options. Given the damages (spinal) no one thought quality of life would return. So, I surendered her to the vet.

I hope she knew in those two hours that my family cared. We didn't just leave her out there by herself.

Hindsight, I wish I had paid for the euthanasia so I could have brought her home and buried her. She was a sweet girl and deserved better.

Damn! Even if you accidentally hit an animal, at least have the decency to stop.

I cried as if she were mine. Frown

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
You did a very good thing.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kindness to those who cannot repay, whether human or otherwise is a true sign of character. God bless you for what you did!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Your a good man, Seth.

And you did the best thing in the world for a living creature that was in a frightful situation.

I know where you are and the number of people who passed and did not stop.

And the dog knew. You can believe that.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I teared up just reading your post, heartbreaking.. Frown

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, my sister (who lives in the middle of nowhere) was driving home in a rainstorm. Thought someone's purse/bag was in the ditch. She slowed down so she could tell what it might be & it moved. Same situation, seemed someone probably threw their old dog out a moving vehicle. She brought it home & nursed him back to health. Dog was blind & almost deaf but she named him "Scraggles". It looked like a black mop head but was a very sweet & loving dog. He had a very happy & loving home for at least another 5 yrs before he passed away.
I have no compassion for people who don't treat animals right. You did a very honorable thing.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thank you for helping that little old girl in her time of need.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did an awesome thing.

I always believe that your kindness and caring will be repaid sometime/someplace.

I have no sympathy for people that treat animals harshly.

I love reading sigforum because it reminds/re-affirms me that there are still good people in this world. (It helps reverses what I investigate at work every night)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
You are a good man, and you made her last time here much happier, and she had someone with her until the end.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of ours are rescues. We have found numerous dogs and cats along side the road. Many were injured to the point where they had to be relived of their misery. It's tough.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She knew.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
She knew.

+1 and so does God.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God bless you. This world need more of you.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You saved her from a cold and terrible death. May God bless you.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
You have a big heart. Thanks for taking care of her.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L90814:
God bless you. This world need more of you.

Well said, and agreed — thank you for what you did.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I had to go to town today. Along the side of the road, there was a dog. It lifted it's head as I passed. I had thought it dead on initial approach. Slowed to a stop, backed up. She had definitely been hit by a car. Other than her back end being injured, there were only a few outward signs of injury. She didn't whelp when I picked her up. She seemed to know I was there to help. Ended up taking her to a vet. We discussed options. Given the damages (spinal) no one thought quality of life would return. So, I surendered her to the vet.

I hope she knew in those two hours that my family cared. We didn't just leave her out there by herself.

Hindsight, I wish I had paid for the euthanasia so I could have brought her home and buried her. She was a sweet girl and deserved better.

Damn! Even if you accidentally hit an animal, at least have the decency to stop.

I cried as if she were mine. Frown

I never got to interact with that sweet dog, and I am sitting here in tears for her. Good on the OP for caring and getting involved.

And a pox on all those who hit an animal and just keep going!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:...
I never got to interact with that sweet dog, and I am sitting here in tears for her. ...

That sweet dog, is every pet we all ever owned, or any living animal we all ever cared about.

Some folks are good about live and let live, and some people are broken.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
Well done Sir. May she rest in peace. God bless you.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post