SIGforum
Auto Repair Garages

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1420063064

August 27, 2019, 07:11 PM
2000Z-71
Auto Repair Garages
Argh!

So installing Bilstein 5100 shocks on the truck. Not overly complicated but it is a PITA, I've done it on my 2 previous trucks. But since I'm in Alaska and most of my tools are in a storage container in Arizona, I need to have a shop do the install on the front.

First off trying to find a shop to do the work. Most said they wouldn't do it if they didn't order the parts. Fine I get it, I just wasn't willing to pay the 100% markup on the parts some shops were charging.

Found a local shop to do the install and alignment. Called and made an appointment for 0930 this AM to drop it off. Haven't heard from the all day so I call them at 1600 and ask if the truck is ready. Nope, won't be ready today they just started working on it. Really? Why did I set an appointment at 0930? If they hadn't had already started disassembly I'd be taking my truck back and finding a different shop to do the install.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
August 27, 2019, 11:52 PM
P250UA5
No bueno for sure.

I remember when I had my F150, that the fronts were tougher on the 2014 & up since they changed the lower mount design.

Got rid of mine before needing to do any suspension work. Though I did want to replace the under damped rears, which are much easier.

The Enemy's gate is down.
August 28, 2019, 08:22 AM
.38supersig
It was nice of them to let your truck sit on their lot and then only start working on it once you called.

This kind of thing drives me nuts.

August 28, 2019, 01:38 PM
LS1 GTO
Bwahaha - wait till you arrive and find a $3K estimate to fix the steering and the truck is still torn apart waiting your decision

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

August 29, 2019, 10:16 AM
smlsig
I know this probably won’t help you but many auto parts store have a loaner tool program. I don’t know if common tools are included but might be worth a call.

PS you’ll like the 5100’s. They’re great shocks for the money.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
August 29, 2019, 03:41 PM
sjp
Dude, all ya got to do is hop the ferry to Cordova and bring me a case of beer and i would've done it for no charge
August 30, 2019, 06:57 AM
2000Z-71
Hmmm, $229 each way for me and to put the truck on the ferry from Shittier to Cordova. Thanks for the offer but...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
August 30, 2019, 09:05 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

Hmmm, $229 each way for me and to put the truck on the ferry from Shittier to Cordova.
Plus a case of beer!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
August 30, 2019, 12:25 PM
Ken226
I put ride height adjustable Bilstein 5100s on the front of my Ram 1500, and standard 5100s on the back, along with a 1" rear spacer.

It raised the front a couple inches, leveled it nicely, helped with the ground clearance, and rides much better.

I did all the install work myself. I won't let shops dictate how I buy parts. They can do what I ask them to do, or find another customer. Plus, I like having it done correctly the first time.

There are thousands of horror stories on a Ram forum I visit, about various shops installing the Bilstein 5100 retaining washer incorrectly, resulting in the strut spearing its way through the mounting point and into the engine well.
August 30, 2019, 07:42 PM
Black92LX
I like my 5100s. Install was not bad. I had to do it twice as the first setting was too much lift for my taste.
I asked just for giggles how much install was from the shop I bought them from and they wanted $160 to install each pair.

ICON just release a full kit for my rig with resis and adjustable dampening for $4100.
Wish I had the coin.

Are you doing Upper Control Arms???
I hope to do them soon to have the proper angle after the lift.
BDS seem to be the best with a standard type ball joint.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
August 30, 2019, 08:40 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:

I did all the install work myself. I won't let shops dictate how I buy parts. They can do what I ask them to do, or find another customer. Plus, I like having it done correctly the first time.

AND...….when you pay a shop to install your parts of unquestionable origion and the part is defective. You will be the first person to ask the auto garage to warranty it and then complain that they are charging you labor to do the job twice because they didn't supply the part. A GOOD auto mechanic will not install customer supplied parts, because they have no control of the quality of the part, how it was handled, or age of the part, and if something goes sideways people smear their name in it that they must've done defective work, etc.
August 30, 2019, 09:42 PM
Ken226
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

AND...….when you pay a shop to install your parts of unquestionable origion and the part is defective. You will be the first person to ask the auto garage to warranty it and then complain that they are charging you labor to do the job twice because they didn't supply the part. A GOOD auto mechanic will not install customer supplied parts, because they have no control of the quality of the part, how it was handled, or age of the part, and if something goes sideways people smear their name in it that they must've done defective work, etc.

In the cases I mentioned, the auto mechanics we're installing the Bilstein 5100s incorrectly, on the shocks they ordered, as well as the shocks supplied by customers, despite the instructions clearly spelling out how they should be installed.

The method prescribed in the instructions, specifies this particular washer be installed on the small end of the shock before the threaded portion is put through the strut tower. But the "pro" mechanics seem to always want to ignore the instructions, and put the washer under the retaining nut.

I don't have any concerns about warranty work, when I do it correctly the first time. Even without instructions, it's pretty obvious what the purpose of the washer is. The diameter of the shaft is about .04" larger than the diameter of the hole. The washer prevents the shaft from being pushed through the hole.

And, it seems the "pro" mechanics who are screwing up these installs, don't like covering the additional damage caused by the incompetent work any more than they like reading instructions.

The pros can require whatever they like from their customers. Perhaps I can even understand their desire to source the parts themselves.

But, as I see more issues resulting from incompetent work than from knockoff substandard Chinese Bilsteins, I trust my own parts sourcing skills more than that some stranger. I certainly trust my work more.

I'm under no obligation to participate in the policies of others.

But then, I'm fortunate to own a shop capable of easily handling something as simple as automotive work.
September 01, 2019, 04:50 AM
sjp
I installed mine on my ram 1500 and set the heigth adjustment to 2.1 so i have about a 1/2inch rake, it looks good and i like it, makes the front hitch not so close to the ground.

Only thing i didn't do was align it, i had a shop put it on the rack for that.
September 01, 2019, 07:33 AM
Ken226
quote:
Originally posted by sjp:
I installed mine on my ram 1500 and set the heigth adjustment to 2.1 so i have about a 1/2inch rake, it looks good and i like it, makes the front hitch not so close to the ground.

Only thing i didn't do was align it, i had a shop put it on the rack for that.

I set mine at 2.1" as well. When I took it in for alignment, the shop said it was already in spec.

If yours is a Ram model with the bw44-44 transfer case, and you ever get frustrated with the engagement delay between the front/rear, there's a way now to switch out with a 44-45 case without throwing the computer into a fit.
September 01, 2019, 08:56 AM
egregore
Most shops I have worked for will install customer parts on a case by case basis, but I don't like it.
quote:
AND...….when you pay a shop to install your parts of unquestionable [sic] origion and the part is defective. You will be the first person to ask the auto garage to warranty it and then complain that they are charging you labor to do the job twice because they didn't supply the part. A GOOD auto mechanic will not install customer supplied parts, because they have no control of the quality of the part, how it was handled, or age of the part, and if something goes sideways people smear their name in it that they must've done defective work, etc.

I've had this very thing happen, as well as misdiagnosis on the client's part ("I want THIS part replaced"), typically after doing an internet search. Case in point: "I want my downstream" (of the catalyst, on a Chrysler minivan) "oxygen sensor replaced." So I did it, then went to clear the code and engine light and found the code was for the upstream sensor. I get paid the same, but I call these "non-profit" jobs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,
September 05, 2019, 10:46 AM
66tas
quote:

But then, I'm fortunate to own a shop capable of easily handling something as simple as automotive work.

Your a real smug know it all arent you....come hang out with me at MY shop and I'll school you on things "automotive work" related you arent smart enough to know you are incapable of doing.

Still waters run deep, so careful I don't drown you.
September 06, 2019, 11:24 AM
Ken226
quote:
Originally posted by 66tas:
quote:

Your a real smug know it all arent you....come hang out with me at MY shop and I'll school you on things "automotive work" related you arent smart enough to know you are incapable of doing.

I've no doubt.
September 06, 2019, 11:39 AM
RHINOWSO
Get a room and take turns.