SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Eclipse! Eclipse! Eclipse!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eclipse! Eclipse! Eclipse!!! Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
How many fools are gonna go blind on Monday?
They warned me about that when I was a young lad.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
My phone will not be answered.
Do phones even work during an eclipse?

Lemme ask my girlfriend. She won't know, but it will be fun to hear how she answers (see above post).

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
Public schools are actually going on lockdown here to prevent little Johnny from looking at the sun... unbelievable

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in IL, too. Chicago, of course.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't Midway have a sale on E-Clips for the Garrand?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Kentucky. Ain't no virgins.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Ya, you don't have to work in the area of the "totality"

WE of course, in our wisdom, didn't do dick for a game plan until about 2 days ago...

We are expecting millions of people here....

Monday is going to be a disaster of epic failure....

Just you wait for my post complaining of how bad it was on Tuesday....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Any wise men?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna walk outside at the appropriate time with my one dollar Amazon glasses and see what needs to be seen. I guess our area is about 98% or so.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be heading into it come Monday. Either that or taking the boat out to get some crab where it's only 99percent covered. Depending on traffic.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
What about virgins? You gotta have virgins.

Whoa Whoa Whoa!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to just work through it, but if virgins are involved a change of plans may be in order.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I read about gas shortages, food shortages, animals doing weird shit.......

How come this didn't happen in 1979 when I lived in Billings Montana?

Have we come that far?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I read about gas shortages, food shortages, animals doing weird shit.......

How come this didn't happen in 1979 when I lived in Billings Montana?

Have we come that far?

I've been thinking about this too. I remember that one and remember thinking, "OK, well...I guess that's that...", and back to work/play/life. No big deal. I do not recall millions upon millions of people upending their lives and losing their minds over the event.

Have we come that far, or have we fallen that far?

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Any wise men?

Possibly the ones who didn't do their sister or cousin?
I'd call that wise. At least in Kentucky.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
We are in the direct path of totality as we were in 1979. Back then, nobody got excited. It was business as usual.

Now with the internet and 24 hour news cycle, people are going bonkers. Gas prices jumped this week. Hotels are charging enormous rates. Farmers are renting out their fields for RVs.

We may go outside to see the second "event of a lifetime" to occur in my lifetime.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the local school districts decided to push back the first day of school because of the eclipse. They were afraid the students would stare into it.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
event of a lifetime

08/21/2017 will be nothing compared to 09/23/2017.

"Now a great sign appeared in heaven:a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars. Then being with child, she cried out in labor and in pain to give birth."

That'll be sumthin'. Worth at least three chickens, a goat and seven virgins.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
quote:
event of a lifetime

08/21/2017 will be nothing compared to 09/23/2017.

"Now a great sign appeared in heaven:a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a garland of twelve stars. Then being with child, she cried out in labor and in pain to give birth."

That'll be sumthin'. Worth at least three chickens, a goat and seven virgins.

Might need more than your shopping list. Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting that documentary, Skins2881. It's very soothing and comforting.

Question for the forum. My pet finch, Marlon, has never experienced an 80% solar eclipse. Actually, he's quite wary of the dark, main reason he goes to sleep with a night light on in his cage.

I'm concerned that if I leave him outside for the eclipse he will stare directly at the sun throughout the whole thing. Should I keep him inside or buy eclipse glasses for him?

I do know that the glasses would need to be fitted with a wide rubber band across his neck to stay put.

Additional info. After a couple of lunar eclipses he just wasn't himself. But, thankfully, he recovered rather quickly. Those moon burns can be a drag.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post