SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Eclipse! Eclipse! Eclipse!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eclipse! Eclipse! Eclipse!!! Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Thank you for posting that documentary, Skins2881. It's very soothing and comforting.

Question for the forum. My pet finch, Marlon, has never experienced an 80% solar eclipse. Actually, he's quite wary of the dark, main reason he goes to sleep with a night light on in his cage.

I'm concerned that if I leave him outside for the eclipse he will stare directly at the sun throughout the whole thing. Should I keep him inside or buy eclipse glasses for him?

I do know that the glasses would need to be fitted with a wide rubber band across his neck to stay put.

Additional info. After a couple of lunar eclipses he just wasn't himself. But, thankfully, he recovered rather quickly. Those moon burns can be a drag.

I would go for a two pronged attack.

Miniaturized solar glasses with retaining band plus a mini tin foil hat.

On the other hand. One can never be too safe with finches. They get their sense of direction from the sun, moon, and stars. It is quite possible he could permanently loose his mind and go down a dark path of evil should he witness it. I might consider a 3" thick lead shield be placed over his cage for the entire event. Plus any previously planned sacrifices.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The Mother of Dragons has told her children to eat the Sun tomorrow.
https://www.vox.com/culture/20...lar-eclipse-folklore

Me, I'll be watching the hysteria on the Science Channel and the NASA Channel. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertai...e-online-tv-49252308

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Is this going to end the world ?, cause if it is I am not mowing the grass tonight.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What eclipse?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Moon burns?!?!

Dammit. I knew I missed something. Amazon seems to be all out of moonscreen.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm foreseeing an unexpected surge in 3rd degree cases of moonburns.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The end is coming, my online banking is down, tried to make a call to Europe & no connection, the only thing on local TV is "The Great Eclipse". I think I will just order a Pizza & open a beer!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I find the hullabaloo and how people are responding to this thing fascinating--if not a little disturbing.

The Great American Eclipse (srsly?) has even displaced the latest Trump snafu, or made up snafu, as The Biggest Story. Saw on the "news" that the resulting traffic may create the biggest traffic jam in US history.

Get a grip, people: It's just a fracking solar eclipse.

quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
The end is coming, my online banking is down, tried to make a call to Europe & no connection, the only thing on local TV is "The Great Eclipse". I think I will just order a Pizza & open a beer!

That's probably why Grrr... USPS Tracking System Down! Oh NOES!!! I knew I should've bought more ammo Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw on the "news" that the resulting traffic may create the biggest traffic jam in US history.

Since Nashville is the largest city in the path, traffic chaos was predicted. Went out at rush hour this morning to Walmart & very light traffic. Seems that everyone is taking a vacation day.

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
That's not a moon. It's a space station.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, this has gotten ridicules, the local Fox News station is at the Nashville Zoo to watch animal behavior during the eclipse! My beagle is taking nap.

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
It's pitch black here in Mogadishu on the Mississippi. Even the headlights are being sucked into the blackness that is surrounding the area. Hep us all!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even though I think it is ridiculous with all the local news coverage, and eclipse watching parties around Richmond, I figured I am at the house let me step outside and see whatever it is I am supposed to be excited about.

Nothing. It is cloudy around here, and it just seems a tad darker out. My dog and cats must have not gotten the memo that they are supposed to exhibiting some weird animal behavior.

I see this whole thing as one big marketing ploy and an excuse to jack up prices on everything.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The eclipse is over. Don't have to worry about it again until 2044. I'll be 75, and that one will be right on top of me.

I'm renting parking/camping futures now, if anyone is interested. Cool

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2044. I'll be 75, and that one will be right on top of me.

In 2044 I will be 99 & dirt will be on top of me!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

posted Hide Post
My pet finch, Marlon, is now saying that his name is Sam and that he's my father.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
My pet finch, Marlon, is now saying that his name is Sam and that he's my father.

I did want to tell you this up front, but I was scared, pretty sure this would happen no matter what level of protection you provided for him. You really should have brought him into a salt mine to be safe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Eclipse report from the Yoop:
Meh.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post