SIGforum
Sellers not cleaning guns

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1410022224

April 05, 2017, 02:30 PM
RobC2
Sellers not cleaning guns
Not a huge issue, but do you guys clean guns you are selling? I mostly buy new guns, but it seems whenever I get a used one, either through the mail or an in person meet, the gun is filthy. I am not super anal about cleaning modern guns after every range session, but don't you at least want to make a good impression on the buyer?
April 05, 2017, 02:39 PM
Fredward
I clean mine before selling. Actually, I rarely have to because I clean them before I put them away. Not obsessively, but a thorough field strip and clean. I did have a seller refuse to clean or allow me to clean a revolver at a gun show. I passed because I felt he was using the extreme filth to cover flaws he did not want to disclose.
April 05, 2017, 03:21 PM
GaryBF
Mine are already clean, but I do sometimes remove some of the lubricant if the gun is going to be photographed. I work especially hard on revolvers to remove the flash rings from the cylinder face.
April 05, 2017, 03:50 PM
Chris Anchor
I clean my guns but don't do an extra cleaning before sale. Some like myself like to see the use it got when I buy one. Chris
April 05, 2017, 03:52 PM
1967Goat
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
...but do you guys clean guns you are selling?

The hell you say! Why would you sell a gun? I only "add", never "remove".
April 05, 2017, 03:56 PM
10-7 leo
I clean them before they go in the safe. Usually I have to wipe them down to remove extra oil.

One time I sold one that had some lint on it. It was my carry piece and I was carrying it at the time I traded it. If I had not traded it, it would have been time to give it a once over.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin
April 05, 2017, 05:28 PM
cslinger
All my guns are clean. In most cases cleaner then out of the box.

And yes. I would never sell a gun that wasn't as clean as possible and packaged as close to factory new as possible.

It only bugs me to get a filthy gun because I feel it is a sign of a user who may not have cared. That being said any gun I buy gets broken down, cleaned, inspected and function checked. Clean or dirty.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
April 05, 2017, 05:50 PM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
...but do you guys clean guns you are selling?

The hell you say! Why would you sell a gun? I only "add", never "remove".

Yeah, I'm completely stumped by this too. I've heard it is *possible* to sell one. I just haven't figured out the exact technique to do so. Actually sounds like a pretty horrifying experience, I feel for anyone who has had to suffer through it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
April 05, 2017, 06:13 PM
Aquabird
I clean my guns...just do not sell many.
I once read where you could actually clean your gun too much.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
April 05, 2017, 06:17 PM
Anush
I purchased a used P239 SAS on Gunbroker that had never been lubed or cleaned. The exterior had no marks so it looked good on the outside. It was FILTHY on the inside! When I ran my finger along the barrel it was grooved from lack of lube. After cleaning & lubing I took it to the range. More accurate than most of my other Sigs & is now my carry gun.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
April 05, 2017, 10:25 PM
ravens1775
Mine are usually already clean, but you should at least wipe it down and run a patch through it. I definitely wipe down the finish to avoid the "is it glare or is it a scratch" questions.
April 06, 2017, 04:39 AM
2010Challenger
I'm always amused and confused when I see a gun that needs to be cleaned for sale. It's like selling a dirty car. I've seen so many on auction sites that would look so much better with just a wipe with a gun rag. A lot of the places that sell dirty guns actually say, "We don't clean the guns we have for sale". Why not?

I just bought a P226 that was really nasty. The outside was wiped down, but inside, it was full of all kinds of crud. A few years ago, I bought a LEO trade in Beretta 92FS off Gunbroker. It was one of about 60 that the seller had, and all of them were pretty nasty looking. Price was good though, and after I blasted it with gun scrubber and cleaned it all up, I was very pleased with it. It was about a 95% gun, and the only real wear on it was on the dust cover bottom.
April 06, 2017, 04:55 AM
msfzoe
I purchased several milsurp rifles that not cleaned after firing.
Disappointing seller.
April 06, 2017, 07:16 AM
xanth
Just got a gun off of GB. Very dirty which the pics didn't show, surprised the seller sent it out like that. I couldn't imagine not cleaning a gun that was going out.
April 06, 2017, 08:22 AM
SBrooks
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
Just got a gun off of GB. Very dirty which the pics didn't show, surprised the seller sent it out like that. I couldn't imagine not cleaning a gun that was going out.

He might have taken it out back after he sold it and run a box or two through it for old times sake...

------------------
SBrooks
April 06, 2017, 12:09 PM
mindustrial
About 50/50 on guns I've bought online. There was a vendor on gunauction that I bought 6 guns from in a couple year span. Each gun filthier than the last. I understand bulk volume & such...but com'on, that's just lazy. Although I got good deals on them, and were exactly as pictured.

One of the Rugers I bought new was filthy. How does this happen? Pre-ordered new from Lipsey's.
April 07, 2017, 08:35 AM
220-9er
I only buy used off Sigforum so it's not a problem. Razz

April 07, 2017, 09:06 AM
Q83
I clean mine after every range trip. I sure as hell make sure it's really clean before I ship it out to the buyer when I sell.

Got a 92 Police Special of GB a few weeks back....Holy shit. I can tell you I'm confident it had never been cleaned...ever. Completely disassembled it and gave it a thorough cleaning and lubing.

I suppose if a seller didn't bother to clean the gun for themselves, they're sure as hell not going to take the time to clean it for someone else.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
ISRA LIFE MEMBER
April 07, 2017, 09:15 AM
YellowJacket
Mine are always either being shot, in transit, or clean.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
April 07, 2017, 01:24 PM
Gutpile Charlie
Mine are always clean. I've been shooting, buying, selling and trading for sixty years and would never think of selling a dirty one.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan