SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Abuses of the English language
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abuses of the English language Login/Join 
Picture of pbramlett
posted
I'll be the first to admit to slaughtering words or phrases on occasion but it is rare. It seems though that society has accepted a phrase that just grates on my nerves.

"Because COLORS!" or "Because Friday" "Because xxxx"

the omission of a preposition or contraction is very irritating. Especially in commercials on TV or even the billboard I saw this morning that said "because colors"

I'm not going to buy the new Coke because of a colored can. Even less so if you just say "because colors"

I know it is silly for this to bother me but that is my issue today.

Oh, and "Because 10 mirrameter!" Smile

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am reminded of a friend of mine that I met while working on an IT help desk who, when speaking over the phone, will sound like an Oxford professor. Everything is carefully enunciatedand and his sentence structure is correct. Frankly, everything just flows naturally without any accent or inflection and you have no doubt that he has both an education and an intelligent mind.

However, once he is off the phone and talking about something unrelated to work (usually firearms and how much he hates the government) you realize that he is a political refugee from New England who spent too many years in the Army (slang, mis-pronounced words, slaughtered metaphors, and a whole host of other complaints).

Truthfully, I hate calling to coordinate anything and I prefer communicating with him via text message because I am always caught off guard by the difference and it is disturbing.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Because colloquialisms.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Smile

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This morning, I listened to a fellow with a masters in engineering give a presentation to a room full of managers, engineers, and draftsman. Every time he said the word "ask" he pronounced it as "axe" and he said "axe" frequently enough in one portion of his presentation that it was distracting. SMH.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Because intensified meaning!

It's a valid means of communicating more than words can convey. I doubt you hear that as part of a formal presentation or read it in a doctoral thesis. It's usually a criticism of the reason being given as the people who would give that reason are thought of to be so backward they can't speak English correctly. In addition to criticising the stated reason, they are also mocking those who would offer/accept the reason.

It's caveman talk. "food good. fire hot. Because aliens!"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
it was distracting.

That’s my beef about such things: I call them speedbumps, and I believe public speakers should be aware of the things that detract from their presentations.

I’m nevertheless more tolerant of pronunciation issues than written misuse because sometimes it’s simply a matter of dialect. I was always amused when people (usually leftists or members of the BSmedia who couldn’t think of anything else to criticize) got into a tizzy about how G. W. Bush pronounced nuclear. I remember that no one seemed to be upset when Johnson pronounced Viet Nam as veet naam (to rhyme with ma’am).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
I remember that no one seemed to be upset when Johnson pronounced Viet Nam as veet naam (to rhyme with ma’am).

I always thought that was just how Texans pronounced it

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

I for one, still do. Smile

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This morning, I listened to a fellow with a masters in engineering give a presentation to a room full of managers, engineers, and draftsman. Every time he said the word "ask" he pronounced it as "axe" and he said "axe" frequently enough in one portion of his presentation that it was distracting. SMH.

Metathesis. Ask vs Axe is a perfect example. It is a common linguistic occurrence. Do you think "Butterfly" wasn't originally "Flutterby"? (Hint, it was originally Flutterby). Language is fluid and changes. It can be frustrating momentarily but in the end as long as your meaning is well understood the rest is pedantry.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Metathesis. Ask vs Axe is a perfect example. It is a common linguistic occurrence. Do you think "Butterfly" wasn't originally "Flutterby"? (Hint, it was originally Flutterby). Language is fluid and changes. It can be frustrating momentarily but in the end as long as your meaning is well understood the rest is pedantry.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly#Etymology

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:

Bullshit. At some point in the speaker’s life he was trying to sound more street with ebonics and it became a bad habit that doesn’t serve him well professionally. Bobtheelf’s post addresses your butterfly aspect.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:... It is a common linguistic occurrence. Do you think "Butterfly" wasn't originally "Flutterby"? (Hint, it was originally Flutterby)....

Incorrect.

Butterfly is the original term

Old English as far back as the 700s used the word/spelling "butterfleoge".

It is more than a stretch to believe that it started out as fleogebutter, and was somehow transposed and stuck.

More likely a play on the word with some mother and child. Anyone who has been around an adult and a small child or children will hear all manner of such things.

For example some in our family:

Grinny pig or Grinnies for guinea pig.
Hoggermole for Ground hog (long story on that one).

Shnoppie for schnauzer.

Heckalopper for helicopter. And since that is what one can do, "Heck a lopper" probably was the original word, but someone must have mixed it up in a news journal or something.

And yes, flutterby for butterfly.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Roll up in the hood, I only get about every third word.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have absolutely no respect for someone that said "axe" instead of "ask". That's pure bullshit. It doesn't sound cool, it sounds like you are a damn fool. Using incorrect words when you know better just shows what kind of clown you really are.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Keep calm and conversate like adults about this.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bullshit. At some point in the speaker’s life he was trying to sound more street with ebonics and it became a bad habit that doesn’t serve him well professionally.

I'm assuming you're talking about the pronunciation of "axe" for ask. I'm interested to know why you contribute it to ebonics. The first time I heard it said like that it was by some Italian mobster on television.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Bullshit. At some point in the speaker’s life he was trying to sound more street with ebonics and it became a bad habit that doesn’t serve him well professionally.

I'm assuming you're talking about the pronunciation of "axe" for ask. I'm interested to know why you contribute it to ebonics. The first time I heard it said like that it was by some Italian mobster on television.
1. First time I heard it was from an African American and that was 20+ years ago
2. Ask is one of the examples given in ebonics on Wikipedia
3. Ask OR aks OR axe ebonics gets 200,000 hits if you Google it.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Cool. I still heard it from an Italian character before ebonics was even a word.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that hates it when people add the “s” to saving in daylight saving time

He will spend all day tomorrow telling people it is daylight saving time not daylight savings time

I’m tempted to send him a link to the topic in this very forum to see if he will join just to make the correction

I used to do that..send him various places where it was said incorrectly just to see if I could get him to blow a gasket

The hilarity is, with this exception, he is a normal, standard father of three

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post