Abuses of the English language

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1390038834

March 11, 2018, 12:52 AM
tatortodd
Abuses of the English language
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Cool. I still heard it from an Italian character before ebonics was even a word.
The word is credited as originating 1975 even though most people didn't hear it until the 90s

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
March 11, 2018, 09:02 AM
mindustrial
Step grandmother from Tennessee uses ax, then she also takes computer flights instead of commuter, not just one time, but rather onced, twiced, triced.... so there you go, have a “gooot un” (good one). There’s my beef, instead of have a nice day...cashiers blurt something about “ haf uh goot un”. This is Ohio, not the Deep South, come on, at least try annunciate.
March 11, 2018, 09:29 AM
Audioholic
My ex-boss used to work for Tarmac (UK). One term that annoyed him to no end was people calling gravel "crush and run" instead of "crusher run". Crusher run is gravel, "crush and run" is what Godzilla does.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard
March 12, 2018, 10:31 AM
Perception
Because grammar, this usage is now actually correct.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
March 12, 2018, 01:16 PM
djpaintles
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigmonkey:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by djpaintles:... It is a common linguistic occurrence. Do you think "Butterfly" wasn't originally "Flutterby"? (Hint, it was originally Flutterby)....

Incorrect.

Butterfly is the original term

Old English as far back as the 700s used the word/spelling "butterfleoge".

It is more than a stretch to believe that it started out as fleogebutter, and was somehow transposed and stuck.

More likely a play on the word with some mother and child. Anyone who has been around an adult and a small child or children will hear all manner of such things.

For example some in our family:

Grinny pig or Grinnies for guinea pig.
Hoggermole for Ground hog (long story on that one).

Shnoppie for schnauzer.

Heckalopper for helicopter. And since that is what one can do, "Heck a lopper" probably was the original word, but someone must have mixed it up in a news journal or something.

And yes, flutterby for butterfly.

It is a contested etymology.

quote:
I've heard that some time before the year 1000 AD the Old English/Anglo-Saxon word was actually more or less "Flutterby." If that's true then it's actually named after the way it behaves and moves. That makes a lot more sense then a butter-related etymology since no product of butterflies is particularly buttery (at least in my experience).
Eventually the word was metathesized into "butterfly." That's the process by which chunks of words have their order switched. Like when somebody doesn't "ask" you a question, the "aks" it (Though apparently both were actually acceptable and used in Old English. You could say "askian" or "aksian" depending on which was easier for you.).
Just wish there was some discussion of that...
My source on all this is the lectures of Professor Michael DC Drout -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._C._Drout"

My source for the comment was from a course by Michael Drout. The etymology of "Butterfly" might be contestable but it still remains a valid demonstration of the effects Metathesis may or may not have. :-)

The Main point of language and speech is to accurately convey ideas. Pedants insist on total "correctness" being more important than being understood. My favorite personal example is the correct pronunciation of "Sako" as in the rifle. I went to a Gun store in Oklahoma and asked if they had any "Socko" Finnlites in stock and they said they didn't carry them. I mentioned that I'd bought 3 of them from them, and he said "Oh, do you mean "Sake O". LOL even though I "correctly" pronounced it he had no idea what I meant, so the main point is to be understood. I personally prefer "ask" to "aks" but there are certainly places where "aks" is more commonly spoken!

IMHO it pays to not get to Snobby about "Proper English". I promise you that overseas most people don't see Americans as speaking proper English. In England a lot of the people are nearly as unintelligible to us as we are to them. And what actually IS English. Old English, Middle English etc are TOTALLY different from what we speak today, so what is "Proper" English. Hell I don't know! I just hope I'm understood. :-D

I can here it now "Dat Der boy frum Ingland ser do tok funny"

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................
March 12, 2018, 01:43 PM
BamaJeepster
I'm not a big basketball fan, but I do see bits and pieces of college games this time of year. I hear coaches saying "So and So needs to score the basketball" or 'We need to be better at scoring the basketball". Really? You are going to take a knife or sharp object and cut lines in the basketball?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
March 17, 2018, 06:04 AM
egregore

March 17, 2018, 10:28 AM
Sportshooter
Thanks captain. You may go now. Smile