SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS says "package too heavy to deliver".
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS says "package too heavy to deliver". Login/Join 
Picture of rexles
posted
I ordered 3000 115gr bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading when they had their 10% off sale for Christmas.
I had a notice in my mailbox today saying the reason they could not deliver the package was it's too heavy. BOO HOO.
I have ordered and received shipments from them before up to 4000 bullets at a time shipped in a USPS Flat rate box that states " if you can get it in this box we'll ship it"
I had a young lady postal worker (rural delivery) who has delivered to me before with no problem. I guess I just got a lazy one today.
So I guess I have to go to the post office and pick it up now. LAZY PUKES!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
What are you expected to do, pick it up at USPS?
Why did they accept the package in the first place?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
That was one option, to pick it up.
The one I chose was to deliver it by my garage.
I put the notification slip back in the mailbox. We'll see if I get it.
They are supposed to deliver

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When you pick it up, ask for a pro rated discount since they didn't deliver it all the way. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a young lady postal worker (rural delivery) who has delivered to me before with no problem. I guess I just got a lazy one toda

^^^^^^^^^^
They have some real losers delivering the mail around the holidays. I had not gotten any mail since Christmas at my office until today. The subs marked it all as business closed even though it was open. No problems with FED EX overnight or UPS just USPS as usual.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
rural delivery

Do you live more than 1/2 mile from your box?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears FedEx and UPS are going to start charging extra for packages over 50 pounds.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...sSIw?ocid=spartanntp

$24 if you're over the 50 pound level.

Also, saw a story that USPS could be privatized as early as next year. I'm not holding my breath on that one - it will take longer to stop the naysayers in Congress.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...tDIj?ocid=spartanntp

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
I have ordered and received shipments from them before up to 4000 bullets at a time shipped in a USPS Flat rate box that states " if you can get it in this box we'll ship it"

I don’t think they should accept a package they aren’t willing to deliver, but I’m fairly certain flat rate boxes do have a weight limit of 70 lbs. I’m not sure how much 3000 bullets weighs, but again if it’s over their weight limit for the package they shouldn’t accept it and tell the people they need to ship it a different way.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I’m not sure how much 3000 bullets weighs...
I just wanted to do some math this morning... Big Grin

7,000 grains = 1 lb.

115gr. x 3,000 = 345,000 gr.

345,000/7,000 = 49.28571428571429 lbs.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I’m not sure how much 3000 bullets weighs...
I just wanted to do some math this morning... Big Grin

7,000 grains = 1 lb.

115gr. x 3,000 = 345,000 gr.

345,000/7,000 = 49.28571428571429 lbs.

Wayyyyy too early for that kind of math Wink

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I order in bulk for pet food from Chewy's, extremely quick and free over a certain amount shipped but, I've seen the front door videos of the delivery guy scurrying up the sidewalk to drop it off at the front door. Though it's just cat food both wet/dry, I feel a bit for the guy as I just have to bring it into the house but I can't imaging delivering these type of orders everyday.

It's not all the fact that it's heavy as the size of the cartons are large and awkward to carry. I know they have their weight limits but when it's time to reorder for the little beast it's never a lightweight shipment. I'm actually surprised that the cartons aren't more smashed from tossing them around maybe a little from those more disgruntled employees that see the Chewy's label on the box Razz

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
I have ordered and received shipments from them before up to 4000 bullets at a time shipped in a USPS Flat rate box that states "if you can get it in this box we'll ship it..."

"...as long as it's under 70 pounds".

From https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm : Priority Mail Flat Rate® lets you ship packages up to 70 lbs to any state at the same price.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered some 6” and 8” steel target plates that had free shipping. Came USPS flat rate. The only thing holding the box together was the shipping tape, but I got it on time.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I order in bulk for pet food from Chewy's, extremely quick and free over a certain amount shipped but, I've seen the front door videos of the delivery guy scurrying up the sidewalk to drop it off at the front door. Though it's just cat food both wet/dry, I feel a bit for the guy as I just have to bring it into the house but I can't imaging delivering these type of orders everyday.

It's not all the fact that it's heavy as the size of the cartons are large and awkward to carry. I know they have their weight limits but when it's time to reorder for the little beast it's never a lightweight shipment. I'm actually surprised that the cartons aren't more smashed from tossing them around maybe a little from those more disgruntled employees that see the Chewy's label on the box Razz

Back before Amazon started shipping dog food/kitty litter etc. I got this heavy as fuck package for the very end of my route. It crushed everything under it, and flailed around in the back of my vehicle until the last swing. I had to move it several times and finally was like, "What the FUCK is this?" It had torn itself partially open, it was a weight set.
My problem with the Dog food/kitty litter is that they aren't well packed well, they need a heavier box and tape, for something so dense, they have a tendency to open themselves.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Can't even go to the store for kitty litter?

Anybody here seen the movie Wall-E? Apparently its prediction of future humans will prove to be true.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sounds like BS. If you accept a package then you need to deliver it. Every time I have used a USPS Flat Rate box it still gets put on the scale.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

Back before Amazon started shipping dog food/kitty litter etc. I got this heavy as fuck package for the very end of my route. It crushed everything under it, and flailed around in the back of my vehicle until the last swing. I had to move it several times and finally was like, "What the FUCK is this?" It had torn itself partially open, it was a weight set.

Every so often, I have a kettlebell to deliver. For the life of me, I don't understand why these companies don't just slap a label directly to the weight. They destroy the box they're in every fucking time.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back I received a note from the post office that they had a package for me and they needed to talk to me in person about it.

It turns out it was my very large Montana Gold bullet order. (A group of us order together for a better discount)

They thought it was loaded ammo.

I found out they called Montana Gold and asked if they were shipping loaded ammo and whoever answered the phone said sure we ship all over the country.

So I became the center of a postal investigation.

I ended up going down and cut open the boxes to show them it was not loaded ammo, then they explained the boxes exceeded their weight restrictions.

After much discussion I told the postmaster that they needed to discuss with the shipper the weight issue,and they could send the bullets back or I could put them in my truck and the matter is settled.

They let me use a cart, I loaded up and was gone.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by just1tym:
For the life of me, I don't understand why these companies don't just slap a label directly to the weight. They destroy the box they're in every fucking time.

I can’t for the life of me remember what I was trying to ship, but I have tried to have this discussion with post office before that it would be easier for everyone involved to just let me slap a shipping label on whatever it was I was shipping and they refused to let me do so. So I had to put it in a box, which seemed more difficult to move around than the original item would have been for me and the people delivering the item.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Can't even go to the store for kitty litter?

Anybody here seen the movie Wall-E? Apparently its prediction of future humans will prove to be true.

I'd gladly love to be able to go into a grocery store and shop, or most stores for general shopping but since I stroked from a brain injury, my mobility is severely compromised. Finding places like online stores that ship free and have very fast competitive pricing is a blessing. Online shopping and pickup at Walmarts is also another very convenient way because they'll bring it out and load it up for you.

I just buy smaller amounts at Walmart and purchased one of those hand basket carts that have the 3-wheels in the back for climbing up the few steps into my home. Additionally, lately I have to sit at the table between just a few small light loads from the car to kitchen.

Disabilities and/or age can really suck sometimes but having these kind of options of home delivery or online shopping and pickup help me retain a little dignity and independence. Life happens, it's how you learn the workarounds that helps you keep on keeping on.

I still feel for those guys who have to deliver this stuff everyday. At least it's a straight shot up my sidewalk to my front door from the street and they don't have to climb up a flight of stairs Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post