SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Forgot to renew my carry permit
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forgot to renew my carry permit Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
DAMN IT!

Somehow when I put my 5 year reminder in after last renewal, I entered it for 2020 and not 2019. Was going through my wallet yesterday and noticed that my permit expired last week.

Carrying nearly 20 years straight; now sitting in my favorite breakfast restaurant without my pistol.

Work is super busy for the next few weeks but I am going to do my best to get my class in this week, then the county has up to 30 days to send new permit, they are averaging about 2 weeks.

Damn it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Don't know what state you are in, but, is there a chance they have a grace period?

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happened to me a few years back, we'd moved to Tampa for a while when I left the company I was working for.

Only realized it by accident, had updated my address with the state & forgot to update again when we moved back to so. Fla. so I didn't get the renewal notice.

Took a couple weeks but the state was good about helping me unscrew my end of it.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing I would check is if your state has a grace period. PA has a six month grace period.

-=BDD=-

Posts: 135 | Location: S.W. Pa | Registered: January 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Good idea guys, I did check.

No grace-period in lovely Minnesota.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I did the same on my last renewal. I didn't forget, so much as procrastinate. Ended-up going a month w/o carrying

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Renewed mine six months early. But I'm the guy that does license plate renewals the day before.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I discovered I’d been carrying without a permit for almost 6 months last year. Was a bad feeling.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not a good feeling. A few years ago, I took a peek at mine and discovered I’d been carrying with an expired permit for over two months. I went down to the county sherriff’s station to renew it and asked about a grace period and the lady shook her head and said “open carry.”

A month came and went. Then six weeks, nothing in the mail. I called and it had been approved and sent weeks prior, it was stolen or lost in the mail. So I had to start all over again. Two months after discovering I’d been carrying on an expired permit for two months, I had my renewal. A minor ordeal all-in-all but still not a good feeling.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas both DL and LTC (formerly CHL) expire on your birthday, but I think DL is good for 6 years and LTC is good for 5. Confused

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Happened to me last year. I planned to renew at the same time as my driver's license, but the carry permit had expired the month before.

Thankfully, Tennessee allows renewal of an expired permit: "Any person whose handgun carry permit expires and such person applies for a renewal within eight (8) years from the date of expiration, such person shall only be required to comply with the renewal provisions. However, you may not lawfully carry a weapon until you receive a new permit."

They also now offer a lifetime permit for $300.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s why I like Indiana’s lifetime permit.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Stupidly I did the same thing here in NC. $93 later I’M now in the “processing window” which can take up tp 90 days. Roll Eyes Should have me new license in time for Christmas

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
How have you been carrying for nearly 20 years straight? Minnesota only passed the law in 2013.

Confused

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This year, I went in two weeks before my expiration, filled out the form, paid the money, only to be told they had "by law" 30 days in which to issue me a new permit. Have no idea whether I was carrying legally between the expiration and when they got around to sending me a new permit. Don't much care at this point.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How have you been carrying for nearly 20 years straight? Minnesota only passed the law in 2013.

Wrong.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
thats sucks..much like MN. If I forget ND has constitutional carry now, so you just need a DL or a state ID!!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

Confused

Not arguing with you, but I think you have your facts wrong. I’m losing track but this is my fourth or fifth 5 year renewal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
I think you're wrong, Doc.

Minnesota became a "shall issue" state in 2003.

Prior to that, Minnesota was a "may issue" state.

Reference: Minnesota Legislative Reference Library / Firearm Carry Laws.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post