SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    If you are going to walk your dogs....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you are going to walk your dogs.... Login/Join 
posted
...don't "walk" them from the seat of your truck, car, dune buggy or atv by letting them run loose in the middle of the road. Rural road, paved or not, control your damn dogs. "There's hardly any traffic" is not an excuse for when I have to avoid your damn dogs in the middle of the road in a 50MPH zone. You are required to use a leash in this county, yes, even in the forest. Don't glare at me when I pass and leave you in a cloud of dust, you are the one stopped with your windows down calling to your dogs.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind killing your dogs. I just don't want Phydough Jr. cleaning your Fluffies guts out from under my truck in my yard. It's just not sanitary.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
And don't let your damn dog shit in my yard, either.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I made a delivery to a house last week and didn't see their Dachsund was tooling around in the street until I'd gotten out of my truck. When I let the owner know her dog was in the street--they have no fence--she said it was okay for it to be out there. Cool, I guess that's my permission to run it over?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Just pointing out that there are two sides to this coin.

Some people live in places where it's not just OK to let their dogs roam, it's fully appropriate for them to do that.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

Some people live in places where it's not just OK to let their dogs roam, it's fully appropriate for them to do that.

This is not on the Rez where the dogs outnumber the humans. It is in a rural setting where county leash laws are in place. Not to mention in the middle of a public thoroughfare.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I break for squirrels , cats, and dogs.
Its just animals that don't know better.
The thing that pisses me of is the stupid getto kids and that damn basket ball in the street.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I have dogs is so they can walk me each day, several times.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An old guy up the street from me told me his dog doesnt like being on a leash after it charged out into the street at me.

Ironically his wife ran the dog over in the driveway.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

Ok, like where? I'm drawing a blank. Around here, dogs that roam the countryside can get in trouble chasing livestock and/or deer. There are lots of ranchers who will shoot them for that. But, maybe that's not the environ you are thinking of.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
A loose dog in my area, if friendly, will be brought in and it's owner sought.

An unfriendly one or one that chases horses, chickens, goats, cows or other livestock will be shot. Quickly.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a clerk/General flunkie/delivery boy for a independent pharmacy loose dogs were a pain in the butt, either I had to try and not step on them or I had to try and not get bit by them. Many times I punted a little ankle biter across the yard.
When I graduated from pharmacy school my boss’s son took over the delivery duties, at one house the lady had several dogs that she always said she had locked up but she never did, Tommy went to make a delivery and all those dogs were loose in her yard so he grabbed a piece of pipe out of the bed of the truck to shoo the dogs with, now Tommy was a rather robust young lad who shooed rather hard, next time he went for a delivery the dogs were absent.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dogs can run off leash and do whatever the hell the want to do on their owners PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Roads are for vehicles, not people or animals. No one should intentionally hit a lost dog on a road, but getting hit is a possible outcome if your dog is off leash and running on the road.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good advice. Been working extra hard to train the pup to sit as soon as the car door opens. It's not for me but for that one time my wife takes her and stupidly doesn't pay attention. Dog is pretty good at sitting now.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
And don't let your damn dog shit in my yard, either.

Man that really pisses me off, too. Dog on leash takes a good healthy dump and owner walks off with big poochie without picking up LARGE turds..

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as the dogs are not aggressive, I hate leash laws. I used to live in a neighborhood, where all the lots were 1-5 acres. You let the dogs out when you went to work and when you came home, they were on the porch to greet you. I'm hesitant to get a dog now because I refuse to walk behind it with a plastic bag. As Jerry Seinfeld says, if a Martian landed and saw this, whom would they assume is in charge?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
I live in the woods. On a dirt road. Off a dirt road, that’s reached from another dirt road.

I used to let my dogs runs loose. They loved it. Unfortunately, after watching them walk down the road and not understand what to do when a car comes along... I decided to fence an acre or so of my property and let them “roam” inside of that.

Now I don’t worry, because I know right where the little troublemakers are. Usually Wink

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post