SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sinus Surgery now - Face & tooth pain sucks!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sinus Surgery now - Face & tooth pain sucks! Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted
Update 2/25 - well after being on antibiotics for more than a month, a procedure to vacuum out the sinus...the ENT scheduled me for Balloon Sinusplasty today. Has only somewhat improved and has been a lousy 6 week stretch.

He said he figured I would need after getting CT scan but insurance won’t approve until you take 21 days of antibiotics...this was on top of a prior 10 days on different antibiotic from the dentist. Oh, and takes two more weeks for insurance to now approve.

This is supposed to be pretty painful, but better than the older cut and grind that used to be done. My New Years resolution was to stay out of the Dr office and no surgery. WTF, joints fixed and now Sinus. 52 and I am breaking down like an old car driven hard Frown

I have had 5 shoulder surgeries, knee, neck fusion, multiple fractures - nothing hurts like this.

Had a tooth extracted - 20 years ago a dentist broke off a file during a root canal and said “good enough” and put on a crown. Never knew about it until last year when an x-ray durIng a checkup showed the file and showed it poking into my sinus. Guess that is why I get sinus infections...so first of the year I get tooth extracted.

Went well for a few days then bad smell and pain in cheek. Monday follow up, yup sinus infection. Taking antibiotics now but my teeth feel like they are being drilled without novacaine and my cheek has been whacked with a bat.

I can manage sick, don’t take pain meds but the Motrin ain’t cutting it. Not to mention missing work. At least fever is down to 100. See Dr again tomorrow but this sucks. Moral - take care of your teeth and dentists can mess you up if not doing the job right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FlyingScot,

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure and followup. You may need to see an ENT or oral surgeon. Abcesses can spread to the brain and cause all kinds of trouble.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that and hope you feel soon better. I would have tried calling your dentist and see if he can help you out with the pain rather than wait.

That is horrible what that dentist did to you 20 years ago and he should have known better.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would using a nasal rinse help with the sinus problem? Nasal rinses help me, I often get sinus infections. I know they hurt. Best of luck.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Well, found out I'm allergic to Augmentin / Amoxicillin. Developed bad hives, nausea on day 2 of regime so switched antibiotics. Better today, pain has subsided to just being hit with a bat
on side of face (seriously).

First time through this, these sinus infections are no joke - almost off to the emergency room a couple of times. Think I'm on the mend but will take a few more days to clear the infection.

Hey at least I lost 10+ pounds, head start on my post holiday workout/weight loss goals Wink

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a thread somewhere on the forum discussing sinus probs & the benefits on nasal rinses. If you go the rinse route, use ONLY distilled water. After I got used to rinsing, I microwaved the 6 ozs. of water, about 18 seconds & got with the program. The hotter the better, you’ll know what you can stand.

Facial swelling around my checks went down after 3 days. I was rinsing 2 to 3 times a day. I rinse out my sinuses every other day now.

Walmart had the nasal kit...around $13.00/14.00 a kit. Again, best of luck killing the infection!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for you brother.

I have been fighting sinus infection for 6 months now.
I had pain so bad I did not sleep much in a week.
It happened right before Christmas mostly for the real pain.

I got a tooth taken out years ago surgically, and the Dr. told me that the tooth roots were into the sinus cavity. I got a bridge made years ago for that.
It just keeps getting harder to chew on that side of my mouth. I had an implant put into my gum on the same side of my bad spot. It seems since the stud was put in, that spot has gotten much worse. I have not gotten the crown installed yet. The Dr. who did the initial tooth removal on that one that was into my sinus cavity told me back then that he put a PATCH on the sinus cavity, whatever that means.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I’m getting surgery Monday to close the hole - cadaver bone, etc. my roots extended into the sinus, same as yours. I am not thrilled, but have not slept in almost 2 weeks. Infection is sorta under control - hard with an opening to mouth.

Fingers crossed, this guy is a top oral surgeon so will see.

-Scottish proverb

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Grumpy - the closed the hole, healed but sinus infection remained. Taking forever!

-Scottish proverb

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry. I cringed reading about your pain. I get sinus headaches but luckily so far no troubles like that with me teeth. Good Lord.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start taking some liquid Olive leaf extract. They should help your sinuses after your infection goes away.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, today had the balloon sinusplasty and ethmoidectomy - cutting out the bone around the sinuses next to and under your nose. Dr said looked like I had stuff there for years. Pretty sore, not sleeping but hope this works. Was semi awake and you could hear the crunch as he did his thing (I opted for local as anesthesia is another risk I’d rather avoid). Nasty process but here is to better days

-Scottish proverb

Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Just went through a 10 week sinus infection, never had (a real) one before, felt like I was having 8 simultaneous root canals. You have my sympathy, sounds horrid.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post