SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Poachers!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poachers! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
https://www.krtv.com/news/mont...n-musselshell-county

Spoke to a Fish & Game contact who stated 3 of the 4 bulls were absolute trophy class, mature animals.

WHO would simply MURDR such a magnificent animal, then leave it to ROT!

I'm not against legal hunters, I hunted for decades. But criminals are another matter.

I really hope they cath whoever is responsible.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disgusting. What is the point? Ego gratification as article implies?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I worked a rural area for 20+ years full of game and hunting rule breakers as well as flat out poachers and game slobs. My take on many of them...That power of "life or death" they have over the animal gives them some fulfillment or thrill? All I can figure.

I will say that all of the truly serial poachers I came in contact with, all THREE of them. Were all strange individuals. Two were not married and probably never had a real relationship with a woman. Strange folks.

I also look at these situations as basically a form of vandalism. Destruction for the sake of destruction. But in this case the poor creature loses its life.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Hell, whoever is doing that gives regular poachers a bad name. They at least typically have a real reason for the kill. The bastard doing this is just killing for the sake of watching something die, and that is sickening.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Illegally shooting an animal to feed your family is one thing but to leave an animal to rot unharvested is abhorrent. The punishment should be double for those that do that.

I hope those assholes are caught and punished to the max.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Illegally shooting an animal to feed your family is one thing but to leave an animal to rot unharvested is abhorrent. The punishment should be double for those that do that.

Jim

Indeed! They should do about 20 years sharing a cell with Big Bubba.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with FN in MT, we need to cath them with a 1" PVC drain pipe!

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jim

Many years ago up in N. Idaho an uncle of mine poached a lot of deer. He was mostly unemployed and supporting 14 people. Most of whom were kids he picked up when they were hitch hiking along the roads. His own family consisted of wife and 2 kids.

Everybody, including the sheriff knew it was going on, but also knew why.

Uncle had a neighbor who hated him because he was in good standing with the NezPerce indians. His house was actually on the reservation. The neighbor wanted to lease the land where uncle was living but the Indians would not do it.

He would wait and watch until uncle drove out and up into the hills, then he would call the sheriff. Sheriff would head out with lights and siren blasting. Obviously never caught uncle in the act. Sheriff knew uncle was feeding all those strays/runaways.

Asshole played poker on Thursday night in the local small town.
Uncle, having a weird sense of humor, decided that he would put a stop to that, shot a big buck and hung it in asshole's barn. Called the sheriff and reported that asshole had shot this buck and it was hanging in the barn. Sheriff went and checked. Went to town and started to arrest asshole. Other players in the game supported asshole's alibi.

About midnight, uncle awoke to see a car driving into the yard. Got up to find the sheriff had backed up to the barn, popped trunk lid. Suggested to uncle that since he had shot the deer he might as well have it. Helped uncle unload and hang it up for processing. Laughed, and left.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I’m against this senseless slaughter (poaching is too kind of a description) but I don’t think the 8th amendment allows punishment in the form of shoving tubes up Weiners.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
When I see a dead deer on the side of the road I call our county animal control. They employ 2 trucks year round to pick them up. I talked to the supervisor and he said one truck picked up 6 bucks that had been piled up in a ditch with just their antlers cut off. Those assholes need to have their hunting licenses taken away for the rest of their lives.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I’m against this senseless slaughter (poaching is too kind of a description) but I don’t think the 8th amendment allows punishment in the form of shoving tubes up Weiners.

Maybe for civilians but I knew a guy in 2nd ID that was rodded 5 times.....at some point it was punishment for being so stupid for sticking his pecker in contaminated areas 5 times.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
What a shame someone is doing this.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see it ALL of the time with fish. Not illegal but a disgusting practice. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people catch a 500-1000 lb Shark or Marlin (neither have any edible value, at least to Americans, some people eat Marlin but it's not considered a fish you want to eat, the meat is VERY gamey.) and they drag this fish back to the marina and hang it up on a peg in the air and let it rot in the sun all day. Then dispose of the rotted fish and rinse and repeat. Rather than catching it, taking a few pictures and releasing it so someone else can catch it or it can reproduce.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
An acquaintance was on African safari this year and said in the pre-hunt briefing that if the guides saw human tracks that were of unknown origin the hunt was on hold. The tracks would then be followed and the poachers dispatched.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Jim

Many years ago up in N. Idaho an uncle of mine poached a lot of deer. He was mostly unemployed and supporting 14 people. Most of whom were kids he picked up when they were hitch hiking along the roads. His own family consisted of wife and 2 kids.

Everybody, including the sheriff knew it was going on, but also knew why.

Uncle had a neighbor who hated him because he was in good standing with the NezPerce indians. His house was actually on the reservation. The neighbor wanted to lease the land where uncle was living but the Indians would not do it.

He would wait and watch until uncle drove out and up into the hills, then he would call the sheriff. Sheriff would head out with lights and siren blasting. Obviously never caught uncle in the act. Sheriff knew uncle was feeding all those strays/runaways.

Asshole played poker on Thursday night in the local small town.
Uncle, having a weird sense of humor, decided that he would put a stop to that, shot a big buck and hung it in asshole's barn. Called the sheriff and reported that asshole had shot this buck and it was hanging in the barn. Sheriff went and checked. Went to town and started to arrest asshole. Other players in the game supported asshole's alibi.

About midnight, uncle awoke to see a car driving into the yard. Got up to find the sheriff had backed up to the barn, popped trunk lid. Suggested to uncle that since he had shot the deer he might as well have it. Helped uncle unload and hang it up for processing. Laughed, and left.
Haha! Great story Elk!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
An acquaintance was on African safari this year and said in the pre-hunt briefing that if the guides saw human tracks that were of unknown origin the hunt was on hold. The tracks would then be followed and the poachers dispatched.

As it should be. Poaching is a massive problem in Africa.

Some of the African game reserves have extensively trained and well-armed security forces that rival the local military, and who get into extended firefights in the bush with groups of heavily armed poachers.

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I see it ALL of the time with fish. Not illegal but a disgusting practice. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people catch a 500-1000 lb Shark or Marlin (neither have any edible value, at least to Americans, some people eat Marlin but it's not considered a fish you want to eat, the meat is VERY gamey.) and they drag this fish back to the marina and hang it up on a peg in the air and let it rot in the sun all day. Then dispose of the rotted fish and rinse and repeat. Rather than catching it, taking a few pictures and releasing it so someone else can catch it or it can reproduce.

If you see it (all the time) and don't report it, you're just as culpable and guilty as they are.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

If you see it (all the time) and don't report it, you're just as culpable and guilty as they are.

It's not illegal!!!!

It's just a very stupid, wasteful practice of certain fisherman that have a small package or something and need to show off what they caught, you know, because nobody has a phone that can take a picture these days. SO they catch a very big fish, somewhat rare fish, almost inedible fish, that they're not going to eat and they leave it hanging from a peg, baking in the sun the entire day, for other people to see. They haven't needed/used the actual fish to make a mount of them for well over 20 years, so it's not that either.

Like this:

https://www.bing.com/images/se...ist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Or better yet, this one that's rotted. See how it's lost all of it's color. It's been baking in the sun for hours and hours.

https://www.bing.com/images/se...ist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:...

In the gulf off Louisiana there are spearfishing competitions that have trophies for "total weight" and out there off the rigs there are very few regulations, even tarpon can be speared. So these guys kill everything for a trophy, including big tarpon.

But that is the "Trophy hunting" mentality. Get your picture taken with the big fish then either throw it away or, at best, grind it up for chum.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post