SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Daughter Graduating and Leaving for College
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter Graduating and Leaving for College Login/Join 
posted
Well, after 18 years my one and only daughter is graduating HS and going to be moving to Boston to attend college...All of that is good and I am incredibly proud of her so why is this post here???

Simple...

I am very quickly realizing that I, very soon, will not have my mini me at my side and I am so not ready for this. I am turning into an emotional trainwreck.

No one warned me it would be this hard dammit!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They never really leave home. Remind yourself that she will always be your daughter. She will still need fatherly advice.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That's tough alright. She couldn't have picked a college much further away, that's for sure. If she is going to go to Boston University I hope she gets a better education than the brain dead AOC. Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right there with ya buddy! My daughter is our only child who will leave for Baylor in August. She too is my mini-me. My boating, shooting, atv riding pal will be gone. I take solace that it's not forever and I was the one who encouraged her to leave this shitty state. I hope she never comes back to live here permanently. When she settles in her life, we will move to be closer to her.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Completely understand.

It was really hard to leave my daughter at her dorm when she went off to college. The drive back home alone sucked... That was nearly 5 years ago now and she'll be graduating with a Masters this may and I couldn't be more proud of how she's grown as a person and her accomplishments!

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
They never really leave home. Remind yourself that she will always be your daughter. She will still need fatherly advice.

Agreed!

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Got ya.
I'm close if she needs anything.
My daughter is off to Minnesota for her phd.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
That's tough alright. She couldn't have picked a college much further away, that's for sure. If she is going to go to Boston University I hope she gets a better education than the brain dead AOC. Wink

Jim

She is going to Suffolk and I have already told her that if I ever see her as part of any protest or ass baggery on You Tube I will fly there, personally drag her off campus and drop her off at the armed forces recruiting office

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

My son went to BU on a scholarship, then on to Princeton for his PHD. BU did him OK.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Damn. I’m heartbroken for you, and my boy is only 6. I dread that day.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
BU did him OK.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Poor Grammar for a crusty old guy. LOL

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Damn. I’m heartbroken for you, and my boy is only 6. I dread that day.

Only advice I can offer you is that it come at you fast, one minute she was 6 and I sneezed now here we are.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
My son went to BU on a scholarship, then on to Princeton for his PHD. BU did him OK.

My only daughter is finishing her freshman year at BU and is on scholarship as well. She heads to France for a semester abroad next fall. I think Boston is a pretty fun town, but most colleges are a bit lefty.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 18 year old starts her junior year in the fall at her college (total overachiever headed for medical school after undergrad). She lives in the dorms and lives her own life. Luckily though I am moving back to Georgia soon and will only be an hour and a half from her school.

It's not easy to let them go but it's rewarding as hell to see them growing into amazing young people. Visit your daughter when you can, talk to her often, and always be her backstop.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Kevmo, we all go through this. It is hard to let a good kid fly by themselves. The wife and I both swore to each other that we couldn't cope with being empty nesters. Turns out we adjusted quickly and liked just hanging out with each other. Your problem is she is going to Boston and you live in AZ. You'll adjust when the pride or your daughters accomplishments take over. It won't take long.
Trust me on this one.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
How strange, Kevmo.
My daughter is going to go to school in Boston too (in 2 years) and I'm already starting to panic at the thought of not being able to see her or hug her whenever I want.
I'll probably need medication when the day comes so I totally empathize with you my friend.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Damn, I cannot get mine to leave Big Grin

He is a good kid, living at home while attending Arizona State. I dread the day he leaves, I won’t have anyone to finish the hard parts of my video games Big Grin Eek

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I went through this two years ago, though mine only goes to college 120 miles away! She's also my one-and-only child, so I feel your pain completely! Trust me, it gets easier, but not immediately. The first semester is the toughest; after that you sorta "get used to it".

Hang in there!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kids are 4, 3, and 1. Due to work I only get home to see them on the weekends. I already hate missing time with them. I dread when they move out on their own.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My daughter did the same three years ago, and it was tough not having her around everyday. worst part was wondering if she was o.k. now she has a serious boyfriend which is ok I like him he is a good guy but it still bugs me that I dont see her everyday,
they grow up to dang fast one week we are in Disneyland and the next she is off to collage.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Completely understand the feeling.

On the plus side, Boston is a great place to go to school and there are lots of things to do and see when you go visit her. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post