SIGforum
Daughter Graduating and Leaving for College

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1350070654

April 27, 2019, 08:13 AM
Southflorida-law
Daughter Graduating and Leaving for College
I am in the exact same position. Mine leaves in August. Soon no more bike rides to the Beach on Sunday, no more sunrises on her SUP while I swim off the Beach. Going to be rough.

But I am excited for her and very proud of what she has accomplished so far.
April 27, 2019, 04:08 PM
rtquig
My daughter will also leave in August for College. My son went to the same university and works 2 blocks away from Stevens University in Hoboken. It's only about 80 miles from here so it is not too bad. The University of Arizona gave her a full ride but she didn't want to go so far from home.

Living the Dream
April 27, 2019, 04:46 PM
Shotgun Zeke
My son is a HS Sophomore and Illinois State is 30 mins away... think I will suggest ISU. Smile

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor
April 27, 2019, 05:11 PM
Ronin101
my youngest son was driving away from the house today and it me that he won't be around much longer. 2 years left of high school and I'm already thinking about it.

After giving my wife shit about it this year. Time just seems to go faster and faster Frown
April 27, 2019, 05:41 PM
ridgerat
I understand what you are going through. My son has already sworn into the Air Force, and will be entering in July. We have always been buddies, so it is really hard. I am very proud, though!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League
April 27, 2019, 06:04 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Damn. I’m heartbroken for you, and my boy is only 6. I dread that day.

Only advice I can offer you is that it come at you fast, one minute she was 6 and I sneezed now here we are.
Agreed. Time seems pretty normal until they hit 11-13, then it seems like someone has the pedal on the floor - just keeps going faster and faster...
April 27, 2019, 06:16 PM
newtoSig765

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
April 28, 2019, 10:17 PM
BB61
I'll have two away to college this year. It sucks.

April 28, 2019, 10:43 PM
Chowser
Went through this years ago with my son. Told him he’d always have a home here (more on that).
He eventually quit college and joined the Army. Much better fit for him.
My daughter will be leaving for college in two years so I’m mentally preparing for that. My youngest is only 12.

My son says he’s thinking of coming home this summer. I told him I didn’t have room for him or his wife but I would take my two granddaughters and their cat.

Not minority enough!
April 29, 2019, 05:35 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Time seems pretty normal until they hit 11-13, then it seems like someone has the pedal on the floor - just keeps going faster and faster.
Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

-- Groucho Marx

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
April 29, 2019, 10:47 AM
at-home-daddy
Kevmo, I'm a couple years ahead of what you're getting ready to face now, and I wish I could say it gets easier...but it really doesn't. As one member said, you kind of get used to it, and I suppose that's true to a degree for me as well, but even two years in it doesn't feel, though, like it's any easier. More familiar, yes, but just as tough. I'm still waiting for that feeling of a new New Normal, but it hasn't happened yet...I hope you find it an easier transition than I have.

Funny thing is, as my User Name suggests, I was a stay-at-home dad for a good while, and so I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with them, to watch them grow day-to-day and interact with them constantly, and I knew even while I was doing that that I needed to focus on the moment and enjoy it while it lasted. Yet in retrospect it still wasn't enough and time still felt too short...and I suppose it always is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: at-home-daddy,
April 29, 2019, 07:34 PM
MooneyP226
Kevmo, if your daughter or family ever needs anything while up this way, hit me up. I’m exactly halfway between Boston and Providence about 2 miles South of I495 and I95. My brother is a medic in Brookline so he has people right down the street from her too. Lots of moonbats up this way, most of them harmless. As long as she avoids Mattapan/ Roxbury/ Dorchester she’ll be all right.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad
April 29, 2019, 09:03 PM
jhe888
It is hard. But they have to go on to the next part of life.

But it is tough.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
April 30, 2019, 06:17 PM
P-220
It is hard...............and rewarding all at the same time.

Sounds like you did it right.

Congratulations!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
May 01, 2019, 05:49 PM
Kevmo
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Kevmo, if your daughter or family ever needs anything while up this way, hit me up. I’m exactly halfway between Boston and Providence about 2 miles South of I495 and I95. My brother is a medic in Brookline so he has people right down the street from her too. Lots of moonbats up this way, most of them harmless. As long as she avoids Mattapan/ Roxbury/ Dorchester she’ll be all right.

Thank you sir!

I am actually from Natick and still have family and friends in the area so there are eyes on her whenever i need them
May 03, 2019, 03:09 PM
SR
I vividly remember going through this with all 3 of my daughters. During that process I kept thinking back to a book I'd read that was written by a counselor. Paraphrasing, the book said a parent's job is to get a child ready for life and then kick them out of the nest.

I'm sure that you've done a good job and now you get the privilege of watching them flourish. That's a good feeling that makes you quickly forget today's pain.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig
May 03, 2019, 03:58 PM
rtquig
It took me a while to get over it when my son first went to college. After a while I called him and asked when was he coming home for a visit? It's a 2 hour train ride. Once he said he would be home Thanksgiving, I got over it. He was happy where he was.

Living the Dream
May 03, 2019, 04:20 PM
jimb888
My advice is to don't watch "Father of the Bride" for a while but if you do, makes sure you're stocked up on tissues.

It was hard to watch the daughter move out for college, harder still to see her move back in years later:-)