SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Essential Oils
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Essential Oils Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
Several friends of mine have gotten into this “Essential Oils” fad, and it seems that’s all they want to talk about (and push... like some kind of drug or something), especially on Facebook!

While my opinion of FB is a love/hate relationship due to the fact I hate all the crap, but it DOES help me keep in touch with family and friends that I would otherwise be out of touch with, all the Essential Oils discussion and sales just really turns me off!

I have decided to fight back in a subtle way... I reply to their discussions regarding which oils work best for things like pre and post workout sessions by telling them which Castrol GTX blend I prefer for each of those scenarios! LOL

I’m waiting to see how long it takes to get “unfriended” by the Essential Oils freaks. Big Grin

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I hear you. My wife and a number of family members are gaga over essential oils by a company called ‘Doterra’.

It’s gotten so that now I call them Doterrorists. The wife is not amused. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:

I have decided to fight back in a subtle way... I reply to their discussions regarding which oils work best for things like pre and post workout sessions by telling them which Castrol GTX blend I prefer for each of those scenarios! LOL

I’m waiting to see how long it takes to get “unfriended” by the Essential Oils freaks. Big Grin

I like how you think!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The coconut scented oil the strippers use is the only essential oil I can recommend.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
My sister and her friends were on the essential oil kick for a while. I played along and gave them a recommendation.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My mom, sister, and wife as big into it. I can honestly say it's helped my baby girl sleep better at night. I do some in a diffuser because it makes the house smell good and is a lot healthier for you than the plug in air fresheners.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my wife's best friends, whom I used to like a lot, got my wife on this crazy train and now I want to punch her.

My wife swears by Oregano oil and uses it for everything...the result, she smells like a salad bowl.

IIRC, one of the big companies was sued recently because the purity of their product was not what they were claiming which, if true, is funny as I have done photo/video work for several big MLM companies over the years and most of the "you can only get it from us" products all come out of the same plants and and are just custom packaged

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Which essential oil works best on my healing crystals? Maybe Flork knows.

^^^ bobandmikako, snake oil
Where can I get a bottle of that? Big Grin

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The coconut scented oil the strippers use is the only essential oil I can recommend.

Misty smells delightful, and it helps keep the glitter on.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
My mom, sister, and wife as big into it. I can honestly say it's helped my baby girl sleep better at night. I do some in a diffuser because it makes the house smell good and is a lot healthier for you than the plug in air fresheners.

How do you know it is healthier?

I do agree they smell nice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. My wife is into Doterra essential oils, and sells them to her friends and coworkers.

Some of them smell nice. And a few of them do have scientifically documented positive effects, such as menthol/camphor rubbed on the chest for stuffy noses (ala Vick's Vaporub) or tea tree oil to treat skin conditions like athlete's foot.

But most of it is snake oil bullshit. (No, putting a drop of lemongrass oil on a crystal and rubbing it on your big toe won't cure your brain tumor, despite what the dirty hippie at the farmer's market claims. Roll Eyes )

I constantly give her a hard time about her "unicorn fart oil" and its magical healing properties.

She does make a decent bit of spending money off of it, though. About $300/month profit. (There's a sucker born every minute...)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
To each his own. I have a few eccentric interests so I won't throw any stones when in my glass house.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I thought you were going to mentions these. Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just start posting this at every turn and they’ll get the hint.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ast...205032&wl13=&veh=sem

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that diffuses essential oils and for approx a month she posted every night what she was diffusing.

I started posting responses like I was the Forrest Gump of oil, and all the things the oil industry does to oil (frack, distill, boil, crack, reform, blend, etc). About 4 days in she quit posting about her diffusing.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Eau du PHEW!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My boss started that at work. I wont discount the value of the oils completely but it turns out it is just another pyramid scheme.

You see if you "join" the collective by buying in you get a discount. Then... if you bring in others under you...

Yea,
No thanks.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My wife uses Young Living oils, do I believe they are cure alls? No, but I do like the way some of them smell in the house. And if my back is hurting and she wants to rub some whatever the heck and coconut oil on my back who am I to stop her!?!?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post