SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    We are going to freeze you Social Security Account
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are going to freeze you Social Security Account Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Second time I received this message. If I don't call back immediately with my Social Security number they will freeze my account. Social Security doesn't call, they would send a letter. Second, Social Security wouldn't be calling at 4:00PM on a Saturday.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I just got an official looking email from ‘Chase’ wanting me to go to a linked website to log in order to confirm my account. Ya, right. Damn crooks and lowlifes.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My favorite was a call informing me of a IRS warrant and if I Didn’t pay it right then over the phone the the cops were going to be at my house and arrest me. I said sorry I don’t have it so go ahead and send the “officers.” I waited but no one showed up.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
My favorite was a call informing me of a IRS warrant and if I Didn’t pay it right then over the phone the the cops were going to be at my house and arrest me. I said sorry I don’t have it so go ahead and send the “officers.” I waited but no one showed up.

yeah you better pay the IRS with those iTunes gift cards or else!

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, mine was 'cancelled' twice in the same week.

Still came out of my check. I couldn't have gotten that lucky. Wink

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My SSN was suspended, I told them great, now I can't pay any taxs.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Second time I received this message. If I don't call back immediately with my Social Security number they will freeze my account. Social Security doesn't call, they would send a letter. Second, Social Security wouldn't be calling at 4:00PM on a Saturday.

I spent 43 years working at SSA. I worked overtime on Saturdays all the time, due to huge workloads and staff shortages. I usually cleared more cases, resolved more problems, took action to collect more overpayments, cleared more continuing disability reviews, and put more people into payment status on a Saturday than all the rest of the week combined. Eight hours with no interviews, no calls, no interruptions. So yes you might get a call on Saturday, but it should never be difficult to determine if it's really SSA by asking the right questions.

Anyway, you have to have no bull shit detector at all to fall for this "freeze" call.

I got a call that said - criminal activity had been detected on my SSN account. I could be arrested. If it wasn't me, to get it resolved I needed to call a phone number. So I decided to have some fun. I called and said - "OK you caught me. I'm tired of running and hiding. Where do I turn myself in?" We went back and forth over the phone. The guy said I didn't have to turn myself in. Just pay a fee to get a new number so I won't be arrested with the old number. So I said "I don't care. I'm tired of hiding. You know what I did? I killed some ass hole who tried to scam me over the phone. Shot him three times." The response - Fuck You. Click. It was fun.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The call was exactly the same as the first call, the beginning was cut off, robo voice. I thought it was a dead giveaway when I was told I would have to call with my full Social number.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Lately I have been getting the call on my home phone that I purchased some sort of computer service. They tell me that is paid for out of a bank account and if I want to cancel and get a refund I must call as soon as possible.
I haven't gotten the social security call or they are coming to arrest me call in a while.
I now also get a call from an central Florida area code on my cell phone in Chinese. About a minute after I get the call my wife gets the same call. Her phone number is one up from mine so they must be using an auto dialing program.
It sometime scares me to think how many people get scammed by this. My parents are in their 70s and have talked to them about this. My mom told me if she does not recognize the phone number she does not answer it. I told her to be careful they can now fake that.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2570 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I called the phone number back on this scam. IRS was in Houston while I was in N.E. Ohio.
Funny thing, I called and got no answer. What I did get was a message stating that the Magic Jack customer's mailbox was full.
I eventually got ahold of him and couldn't quit laughing. I kept asking, "Since when does the IRS use a Magic Jack?" Big Grin
He hung up on me finally.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

Just tell them you're in the country illegally, and if you freeze that account, you'll just get a different number.

I fucking hate scammers.

Need a a dial-a-JDAM service.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite call was the one where I was told I had missed jury duty and was about to be arrested UNLESS, of course, I bought some gift cards at Walmart and paid my "fine."

Idjit could barely speak English and I was laughing too hard to play with him.

And my Well Fargo Account has been suspended for some unusual activity. Funny, I don't have a Well Fargo account. Click!

Bob

Bob

Posts: 1572 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I said "I don't care. I'm tired of hiding. You know what I did? I killed some ass hole who tried to scam me over the phone. Shot him three times."

Priceless. Big Grin Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
My response to threats of arrest is, "They'll never take me alive!"

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here it is 078-05-1120!

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:

Here it is 078-05-1120!
Refresh my memory.

Is that the Woolworth number?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Here it is 078-05-1120!
Refresh my memory.

Is that the Woolworth number?
quote:
The most misused SSN of all time was (078-05-1120).

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
yeah and my social security number is 800-BR-549

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here it is 078-05-1120!

The most misused SSN of all time was (078-05-1120). In 1938, wallet manufacturer the E. H. Ferree company in Lockport, New York decided to promote its product by showing how a Social Security card would fit into its wallets. A sample card, used for display purposes, was inserted in each wallet. Company Vice President and Treasurer Douglas Patterson thought it would be a clever idea to use the actual SSN of his secretary, Mrs. Hilda Schrader Whitcher.

The wallet was sold by Woolworth stores and other department stores all over the country. Even though the card was only half the size of a real card, was printed all in red, and had the word "specimen" written across the face, many purchasers of the wallet adopted the SSN as their own. In the peak year of 1943, 5,755 people were using Hilda's number. SSA acted to eliminate the problem by voiding the number and publicizing that it was incorrect to use it. (Mrs. Whitcher was given a new number.) However, the number continued to be used for many years. In all, over 40,000 people reported this as their SSN. As late as 1977, 12 people were found to still be using the SSN "issued by Woolworth."

Mrs. Whitcher recalled coming back from lunch one day to find her fellow workers teasing her about her new-found fame. They were singing the refrain from a popular song of the day: "Here comes the million-dollar baby from the five and ten cent store."

Although the snafu gave her a measure of fame, it was mostly a nuisance. The FBI even showed up at her door to ask her about the widespread use of her number. In later years she observed: "They started using the number. They thought it was their own. I can't understand how people can be so stupid. I can't understand that."

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, saved me a google search.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post