SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I need sleep!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need sleep!!! Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
I don't recall ever having a good nights sleep. For the last 20 years I have taken Ambien and Xanax to sleep, and even then it was not a good nights sleep. Two months ago I decided to wean off the medications for sleeping and I lowered the dose until it was safe to stop taking. One month ago I completely stopped taking anything, and now it is 0300 to 0500 before my body allows sleep and this lasts no longer than four hours. I waited until summer to do this as school is out and I can have time to adjust and it won't affect my working. I went to the doctor last week for my routine check up and told him I haven't slept in quite a while. He thinks my body will adjust, but to me it seems like it should have adjusted by now.
Any suggestions that work for you to sleep. I've tried over the counter sleep aides and melatonin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rtquig,

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Tried exercise? Wear yourself out, then try to read a book in bed.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ever tried Benadryl?

Every once in a while I get "insomniactic" where I sleep so lightly, it is really just barely a doze, and I am aware I am not fully alseep.

It can go on for weeks, so I found that one Banadryl each night for about a week or two will "reset my sleeper" and then I can stop.

Last time needed was over a year ago.

The only "side effect" I have is being a bit slow and sluggish in the morning (wich is not normal for me). I usually wake and am 100% in .000356291 seconds, give or take a nano.

I also found that it kicks in about 30 minutes after taking, so I take it the same time and get in bed in the 30 minute slot, and then, ZZZzzzzzzzzzz.......

(Equate brand from Walmart.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I've been having issues with sleep too. I'm on vacation on the Oregon coast ring now and getting 10 + hours of sleep per night!

It just takes a 2 week vacation away from home.

Good luck I know how bad lack of sleep is.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I used to have very similar issues.

A friend turned me onto the "Calm" app. It contains meditation, sleep exercises, etc. I pay for it as a monthly subscription and have found it to be worth every. single. penny.

https://www.calm.com/

Available on the App Store.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Ever tried Benadryl?

Every once in a while I get "insomniactic" where I sleep so lightly, it is really just barely a doze, and I am aware I am not fully alseep.

It can go on for weeks, so I found that one Banadryl each night for about a week or two will "reset my sleeper" and then I can stop.

Last time needed was over a year ago.

The only "side effect" I have is being a bit slow and sluggish in the morning (wich is not normal for me). I usually wake and am 100% in .000356291 seconds, give or take a nano.

I also found that it kicks in about 30 minutes after taking, so I take it the same time and get in bed in the 30 minute slot, and then, ZZZzzzzzzzzzz.......

(Equate brand from Walmart.)

Thanks, do you use the pill or liquid form?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have tried staying up later, meditation and moderate exercise. I have found out from my Judo days that strenuous exercise a few hours before bedtime keeps my awake.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I used to have very similar issues.

A friend turned me onto the "Calm" app. It contains meditation, sleep exercises, etc. I pay for it as a monthly subscription and have found it to be worth every. single. penny.

https://www.calm.com/

Available on the App Store.

I just installed the app. I will try anything at this point to sleep.

Living the Dream

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:...
Thanks, do you use the pill or liquid form?

The little pink pill, not the capsule.

And going to sleep the same time and getting up the same time, even on weekends is a good habit to start.

Good luck!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't recall ever having a good nights sleep. For the last 20 years I have taken Ambien and Xanax to sleep, and even then it was not a good nights sleep. Two months ago I decided to wean off the medications for sleeping and I lowered the dose until it was safe to stop taking. One month ago I completely stopped taking anything, and now it is 0300 to 0500 before my body allows sleep and this lasts no longer than four hours. I waited until summer to do this as school is out and I can have time to adjust and it won't affect my working. I went to the doctor last week for my routine check up and told him I haven't slept in quite a while. He thinks my body will adjust, but to me it seems like it should have adjusted by now.
Any suggestions that work for you to sleep. I've tried over the counter sleep aides and melatonin.

See a physician who specializes in sleep disorders, and get a proper evaluation. It is clear to me that has not happened as yet.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Benadryl pink pill works for me too. I usually take mine about an hour before I sleep. If I take it too late, I end up really groggy and cranky for the first couple hours in the morning.

Benadryl also induces vivid and strange dreams for me.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm going to try the Benadryl, the "Calm" ap and going to bed the same time every night and getting up same time every morning.

Living the Dream

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
don't recall ever having a good nights sleep. For the last 20 years I have taken Ambien and Xanax to sleep, and even then it was not a good nights sleep. Two months ago I decided to wean off the medications for sleeping and I lowered the dose until it was safe to stop taking. One month ago I completely stopped taking anything, and now it is 0300 to 0500 before my body allows sleep and this lasts no longer than four hours. I waited until summer to do this as school is out and I can have time to adjust and it won't affect my working. I went to the doctor last week for my routine check up and told him I haven't slept in quite a while. He thinks my body will adjust, but to me it seems like it should have adjusted by now.

See a physician who specializes in sleep disorders, and get a proper evaluation. It is clear to me that has not happened as yet.

I will do a sleep study this time. I know I have a sleep disorder. This time around my main problem is initially falling asleep.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
Let us know the results of the study. Drug therapy is generally not the best approach without a careful assessment of the problem.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 sleep studies to see if I had sleep apnea. Good luck getting sleep with all the wires attached to you. I had miserable nights. Only positive thing was no sleep apnea.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My friend, I too suffer from chronic insomnia.

I also stopped taking the sleep-inducing medications (Ambien in my case) every night. I am hoping to work my way down to taking no medications of any kind. I'm just fucking tired of having a dependency on any drug, even those that are minor in the great scheme of things.

Mind you, I've also made some huge changes in diet (i.e., > 1500 calories/day, almost no dairy, less than 20 grams of carbs, very low gluten (ideally none), way less caffeine, and zero sodas) that have me feeling way better.

Now, with my doctors' agreement, I only use a sleep-inducing medication when I have either:

(1) Gotten less than nine hours of sleep in 96 hours or four day/night cycles;

(2) No slept at all in 48 hours or two day/night cycles;

(3) Had KIP 8+ cluster headaches for more than three consecutive nights; or

(4) My blood pressure rises well above average.

I've been here before - that is before my doctors decided my lack of "sleep" was having a serious effect on my health and put me on Seconal, then Ambien.

After all, I've suffered from insomnia since I was 17 and I almost 60 now. It sucks rancid, sweaty, camel balls, but I've given up fighting it.

I think I now understand a bit of the dilemma faced by people with a terminal disease. Take the treatment and suffer the consequences or not and suffer the other consequences.

Look at it this way: if you aren't sleeping you can read every page of the Donald Trump is a first-rate ass clown, but..., The Trump Presidency, You Will Buy a Glock, and most important of all, the Enough with the cat pictures threads.

Hang in there.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just installed the app. I will try anything at this point to sleep.

I recommend going to:

Meditate > Deep Sleep > 20 Minutes

20 Minutes is my favorite. I've worked my way up to the 10 minute and am going to try the 5 minute next week. Never thought this would happen for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
+1 on calm. Good app. I no longer require it and workin 13 hour days makes sleep just hittin the pillow.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Every so often sleep will elude me.

A shot of nyquil usually does the trick.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
It's a little after 0200, listened to calm and had a hard time concentrating on the story. I didn't get out to pick up Benadryl, Friday for sure. Sitting here with 3oz of Bourbon. It won't work but I had to try.

Living the Dream