SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who keep asking questions after you say you dont know....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who keep asking questions after you say you dont know.... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
My wife is good at this.

Hey do you know how use this software / hardware / instrument / whatever?

No I have never seen it

How do you make it do X?

I don't know, I have never used it or seen it

I'm trying to make it do X and it wont do it, what do you think? What if I want it do Y?

I DONT FUCKING KNOW

I'm just wondering if you can help

I CANT HELP I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE FUCKING THING BEFORE I HAVE ZERO IDEA HOW IT WORKS

you don't have to yell at me

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Much like in all the “bad guy gets out & makes a new life for himself but other bad guys find him” movies....

Bad guys are headed to girlfriend’s house to flush out Now Good Guy.

NGG calls girlfriend. Usually takes three tries before she answers.
“Get the shotgun and get in the closet”

GF “why?”

NGG “no time to explain, get the shotgun, get in the closet”

GF “tell me what’s going on. You’re scaring me”

NGG “GET THE SHOTGUN & GET IN THE CLOSET”

GF : “why are you yelling at me. I gotta go, someone is at the door....”

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Is she HR at her job? Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG, yes. "What's the capital of Bahrain?" I don't know. "Really, what's the capital." Really, I don't know. "What do you think it is?" WHAT THE FUCK IS BAHRAIN? "You don't have to yell. Just say you don't' know."

Do your own fucking crossword puzzle!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, and I'm the asshole as I keep saying no, I don't know, I've already told you no...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Yup, and I'm the asshole as I keep saying no, I don't know, I've already told you no...

"I'll bet we can find something on YouTube to figure it out." I say to my DW of 34.5 years, "What do you think honey?

Don't be that guy . . . I'd be flattered that she thinks I know.

PSA off.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Try this next time.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
My wife is good at this.

Hey do you know how use this software / hardware / instrument / whatever?

No I have never seen it

How do you make it do X?

I don't know, I have never used it or seen it

I'm trying to make it do X and it wont do it, what do you think? What if I want it do Y?

I DONT FUCKING KNOW

I'm just wondering if you can help

I CANT HELP I HAVE NEVER SEEN THE FUCKING THING BEFORE I HAVE ZERO IDEA HOW IT WORKS
I have no clue honey, but if you want I'll mess with it and see if we can get lucky.

She'll either says never mind I'll figure it out, or she'll have you try you put in five minutes messing with it and either figure it out or she takes back over. No yelling or cursing involved and you're the good guy in the story.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm very certain my wife knows my response:

Would you like me to Google that for you?

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Dearly love my wife, but she does the same thing.

After a couple of asks, I usually say "This is the third time you've asked me the same question. Can you let me know now how many more times you need to ask so I'll know when you're done?"

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I think it is the universal rule of 3's

my MIL will tell you something at least 3 times, sometimes in the same sentence,

my wife will do the same, but usually in 3 sentences

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Whoever asks me a question a second time when I've already answered it will get a look like this:

I feel as if I'm getting too old to put up with stupid BS.

My wife knows better. Guess I'm lucky.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I think it is the universal rule of 3's

my MIL will tell you something at least 3 times, sometimes in the same sentence,

my wife will do the same, but usually in 3 sentences

Ols sales ploy.
Tell them what you're going to tell them
Tell them
Tell them what you told them
Works every time unless the listener is dense..

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm reading these responses, and beginning to think that there's something wrong with me. Maybe I just don't really care anymore.... Maybe I am swimming in the deep end.

I usually go for the
#1- "I don't know."
#2- "Sorry, I really don't know." / "I'm tellin ya, I - don't - know!"

Then off into the wilderness I go... (Hey, I gave them a chance. Two actually)

#3- "Purple kittens. PURPLE KIT-TENS, MAAAAAN!!!"
Or some other total Non sequitur comments:

The cow may swim in the sea, but fish don't eat grass.
Pythagorean Theorem
Ill take 16th Century Lit for $1000, Alex
Ooohhhh, dinner's ready! [then run off like Steven Segal]
[Slingblade accent] Sometimes the crunchy boogers tickle!

Just spurt out some random, crazy shit...
Music lyrics work great on my wife. Drives her bat-shit crazy!
Just start belting out "Jane" from Jefferson Starship, pretty much anything from Jimi Hendrix...

Crazy looks / twitches while you're doing it increase point value. Hugging/holding hands and whispering in their ear doubles point value.
Speaking in a different language only gives you a few extra points, however, you gain points the more obscure the language. Like Sandskrit / Klinong / That "click-click-pop-bop" shit from Africa

Flipping it around and putting them on the spot words great too! Ask them a super personal question.
"Hey, have you ever had this blistering kind of rash?"

You're going to get the [odd look] "wait... What?...." about 96% of the time. Get used to it.
Repeat the question quickly or ask something totally different (Think "Bendable"!). Get inside their OODA Loop, break up their OODA Loop, then take them off into left field. It's not that hard, you just got to be moving and thinking > < that much quicker.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the same problem with the wife’s cooking...

would you like some (quinoa, or some other disinteresting healthy food du jour); no thank you. Here, you should try this... no thanks. Come on, I’ll put a little in a bowl for you....No, I’m not going to eat it. Why....***sigh***, being polite just doesn’t work.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
People Wives who keep asking questions after you say you dont know....

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
That is my mom to a tee. Just drives me up the friggin' wall and makes me want to do this:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I always seem to have at least one coworker like that. Here is an example from my last assignment (oil & gas megaproject):

Her: Do you remember such & such document?

Me: Yes

Her: What was the duration for installing such & such piece of equipment?

Me: I don't know. It was a 140 page schedule that I reviewed 6 months ago and it wasn't my scope.

Her: Explains why she needs to know the duration in the most circular, illogical way possible and then repeats the same question (What was the duration for installing such & such piece of equipment?).

Me: My memory hasn't improved in the last 3 minutes.

Her: But, I need to know what was the duration for installing such & such piece of equipment?

Me: Sounds like you need to stop asking me, download the document, and look it up

Her: [slack jawed]

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is bad about repeatedly trying to get me to remember something that I have repeatedly said I don't remember!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
She gets angry, but when my wife asks me twice, or says "Really?" when I've already answered, I tell that my answer hasn't changed in the last fifteen seconds.

Or, if I am feeling especially uncooperative, I tell her, "Okay you got me. I really did know the answer, and because you asked me twice, I'll now tell it to you."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post