SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dropping small parts at my workbench....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dropping small parts at my workbench.... Login/Join 
posted
Today it was the trigger pivot pin from a 1022 trigger assembly, last week it was a detent pin from an AR lower build. I could not find either one until after I had spent extra time locating a spare. Neither one was where i heard them fall.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen! Still can't find the mag follower clip from 15 yrs ago. Now have a few of those collapsible magnet stick so I can sweep the dark floor of my bssement if it occurs again.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is some random junk on my work bench I should have put away months ago.

I usually have a 50/50 chance of the junk helping to catch what I dropped or its a black hole and makes it impossible to find.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a cat. Mine tracks any fallen small part with laser like focus.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Get a 2 1/2 gallon baggie and put the work inside of it.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Get a 2 1/2 gallon baggie and put the work inside of it.

This is the only way to go. It significantly reduced the time converting my Beretta 92 FS to a 92 G by eliminating searches.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Mine does too, but then the bastard points me in the wrong direction.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have been totally amazed at how far those little things can travel after being dropped. I usually start my search nearby, then expand outwards in ever widening circles. Some have been clear across 2 car bays in the garage. Some I never find, at least until after I've bought the replacement.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I wish I had a dollar for every small spring I've lost. I think they end up in the same place that socks end up from the dryer. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walk around the area in bare feet. If it is a sharp part you will find it.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I only drop parts that contain Shit or Fuck in their names.....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
an elderly lady that does very small craft work
had a large tray made,
she does all her work over that tray ,
stuff does not bounce out of it and she can hear where it lands .

I guess if you stuff is flying out in all directions, that may not help much

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I bought one of those magnetic bowls from Harbor Freight for about 75 cents. It does a great job of keeping those things from getting dropped and lost. It works great when you have to change bits or tiny sockets and you can keep them in there when you're working on something.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get a blank magnetic car door sign and place on bench. combined with an oven tray with a lip around it lost parts are almost not occurring any more.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I laugh when 6 mos. or a year after I have some tiny spring or part go flying off into the Twilight Zone I find it in some obscure place. Especially after I spent hours on my hands and knees moving furniture, vaccuming the floor and emptying the vaccum bag etc. etc. Not to mention ordering the part and spending $$$ on something I would not have needed.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

We used to have a free roaming cockatiel, and she would find every bead, jewelry, trinket that got lost in the carpet. The downside was if you didn't catch it in time, she would play with it and mangle it up.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
After multiple episodes of losing small parts on my workbench--I bought a clear plastic bin 14' x 21' x 10" deep. I place it side down on my bench--giving me 14'x 21" of contained space. You only have to lose a dozen parts before you realize you need a containment area.
After reading this thread--I'm going to place magnetic strips on the outside...

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I regularly have things fly in my living room and dining room as I am working on stuff. And somehow I always find the errant part. Sometimes they go strange places that are quite surprising considering where they started and what noises I think I heard as they landed. The only one I couldn't find was the 4-40 set screw I was trying to install in the back of an Aero Precision lower to hold in the rear takedown pin detent spring.

My method usually involves 500-1000 lumens of Surefire light and looking for the glare. The setscrew was black oxide which is probably why I couldn't find it. But the local hardware store had the same setscrews in stainless which is much easier to find. Otherwise I'd have a bag of 100 from McMaster-Carr.

Word of advice, Radian makes AR takedown pins that come with springs that have captured detents - like how the detents fit the spring in a 1911 pluger tube. The easiest install/removal I have found. I use them exclusively now. I also use the extended forked buffer tubes that capture the buffer detent so it doesn't fly out after you loosen the castle nut and tube gets inadvertently rotated.

I will say that Sig is pretty cool about giving you extra parts to replace the airborne ones in their parts kits.

And when you convert a Beretta 92 from FS to G, just put the dame thing in a plastic bag and work on it like a virus researcher. No matter what I do something always ends up flying.

Edited to add:

Sigfourme - do you mean it's on its side with the open top facing you?

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I just replaced a cell on my kinetic watch a few weeks ago.
I laid 36" painters paper over my dinner table to do it.
Those were the smallest screws I have ever had to work with.
Easily found on that paper when they popped out of my tweezers....

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Lefty
Yes==plastic bin on its side. Top of bin facing me.
Large , contained work space.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post