SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Benzalkonium Chloride
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benzalkonium Chloride Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I just received a carton of Benzalkonium Chloride wipes from Amazon. 1,000 of them, in little packs, for pocket or purse (my wife).

Disinfectant wipes, I'm being anal about this virus thing.

I looked at the package. Fine print: Made in China.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Made in Wuhan China would be the icing on the cake. Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Old people have weak immune systems. Taking Vitamin C each day and NAC for the lungs would help. Stay home if possible and watch what you touch and keep a distance from people.

Dollar General has wipes in packages and also the canister wipes which are good to carry in your vehicle. The canister package is cheap enough that when the insides dry out due to opening and closing, no big deal.

Due to the long period of several weeks to see signs of sickness, one of you will give it to the other one so be careful.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have used benzalkonium chloride for decades as a topical antiseptic and I’m convinced it saved me from many nasty infections (such as when I laid my thumb open the second day of a ten-day Boundary Waters canoe trip).

Here, though, is an article that discusses its effectiveness against SARS-CoV-2 (the COVID-19 virus).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund's link suggests that alcohol-free products are not that effective for this virus.

I think that maybe I have found a good use for that 1.75 bottle of undrinkable Cluny whisky that I have in the hangar.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Sigfreund's link suggests that alcohol-free products are not that effective for this virus.

I think that maybe I have found a good use for that 1.75 bottle of undrinkable Cluny whisky that I have in the hangar.

Recommendation is it has to be 70% to be effective.I bought a bottle of 190 proof Everclear Smile

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggertreat:
quote:

Recommendation is it has to be 70% to be effective.I bought a bottle of 190 proof Everclear Smile
I might need a bottle of 151 proof rum. It might not keep the virus away, but I probably won't care.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
They no longer make 151 rum.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I believe that Bacardi has discontinued it, but Total Wines in Altamonte Springs FL, where I live, has Don Q brand in stock, aisle 8, for $23.99 / 750 mL.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Denatured alcohol will work just fine. They sell it by the gallon.

Posts: 9454 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Denatured alcohol will work just fine. They sell it by the gallon.
I tried that. The rum tastes better.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I believe that Bacardi has discontinued it, but Total Wines in Altamonte Springs FL, where I live, has Don Q brand in stock, aisle 8, for $23.99 / 750 mL.

Also, most of the liquor stores here in NE Indiana sell Cruzan 151 proof rum as well.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
What is “NAC?”

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by V-Tail:
I just received a carton of Benzalkonium Chloride wipes from Amazon. I'm being anal about this virus thing./QUOTE]

You had me at anal...So these can be substituted for toilet paper??? Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
What is “NAC?”

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nac-benefits

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good old fashioned bleach works for me. Yet to meet an organism stronger !!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

Good old fashioned bleach works for me. Yet to meet an organism stronger !!
Yes, bleach is very good, but not easy to carry around in my pocket when I'm out in the community.

These wipes come in little sealed packets, maybe about 2" x 2", so it's easy to slip a couple of sealed packets into my pocket.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing, at least as I see it, this latest virus in not going away... eventually you will be exposed to it regardless of how much you wipe and such......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Here's the thing, at least as I see it, this latest virus in not going away... eventually you will be exposed to it regardless of how much you wipe and such......

You bring up a point that’s worth emphasizing, and seems to be poorly understood in general.

The purpose of all these measures, personal and government-mandated, is to slow the rate of infection, not to prevent it entirely. There are two reasons to do that. The first is to allow time to develop treatments for the disease, and even a vaccine. Vaccines take so much time to develop that it’s unlikely to be of much value except over the long run, many months to future years like the seasonal flu. Finding treatments, however, might progress much faster. If I catch the disease two months from now rather than today, perhaps there will be something I can be treated with to prevent its developing into something serious.

The other reason to slow the spread of COVID-19 is to allow our medical services to catch up with the supplies, like ventilators, needed for serious cases. In addition, they will have to handle a smaller number of patients at a time rather than a large number at once that will overload their capacity in terms of beds, supplies, and personnel. That’s one (presumed) difference between this disease and the seasonal flu. People keep pointing to the number of deaths caused by the latter as if that makes it as bad or worse, but because those cases are spread out over a longer time and most medical providers have enough sense to have been vaccinated and therefore the danger to them is somewhat less, the flu doesn’t have the same effect as this threatens to.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried that. The rum tastes better.

You turkey! Imbibbing the rum doesn't help with the virus, but you won't care! LOL
However, if you drink 150 proof anything, your liver will not thank you later!!

Take care of yourself!!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post