SIGforum
MoviePass - great idea, run into the ground...**UPDATE Pg 2** Cancelled

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1320007544

August 15, 2018, 08:44 AM
Phelen_Kell
MoviePass - great idea, run into the ground...**UPDATE Pg 2** Cancelled
Costs are insane and I only go rarely and during school time so I don't have to deal with idiots. Usually the first showing is around $6.

Last time I went to a night showing, there was a riot and I think a dozen different police departments were called to help.
August 16, 2018, 08:34 PM
bubbatime
I loved my Moviepass acount.... several months ago. Pick a movie, go see it, problem free, everything worked fine.

Then the shit hit the fan, they ran out of money, and I have been unable to see a movie at all in the past 30 days. Every time I login it says no more showings for today, even though my theater has at least 30 more showings.

I typically see the last showing of the day, the 10 o clock movie, and they have ran out of money by 7 PM and don't offer any later showings.

So I cancelled my account.

It was too good to be true, too many people joined, and the ponzi scheme ran out of other peoples money. What a terrible business plan, that was doomed to fail from the start.

August 16, 2018, 08:43 PM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

If they weren’t getting a discounted rate, I can see why it was doomed to fail.

When people are banging away in excess of 3-4, let alone 10+ movies a month, you'd have to be getting the tickets for free to make this work.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

August 21, 2018, 09:54 AM
Dusty78
It was great while it lasted. I paid monthly and just canceled. Now I have the AMC stubs A lister subscription which is double the price but a much more sustainable model. Plus you can see imax and stuff.

August 29, 2018, 01:49 PM
matai
Got the same deal from Costco, saw 16 movies with it. Recently cancelled and got a $60 refund.
September 15, 2018, 10:07 AM
RogueJSK
And now, a message from the MoviePass CEO:

(NSFW language.)

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBO_7UezpbY
September 28, 2018, 09:02 PM
911Boss
So haven’t been able to see a movie for the past three weeks due to restrictions and limitations. Tickets only being available for certain movies, etc.

Just happened to be heading into Costco as we were checking to see if we could do a movie today, and once again just a single movie available “Smallfoot”.

Went to Costco customer service desk with the two MoviePass cards and explained how restrictive they had become and that the plan was rendered useless.

Costco cheerfully refunded the ENTIRE price for the two passes, total of $190. I gleefully handed the cards over to them and we will now go back to our previous use of Red Box and discounted Costco Regal Cinema tickets.

Somethings are too good to be true. On the bright side, since March we did see 27 movies for “free” since we got a full refund.

I LOVE COSTCO!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

September 28, 2018, 10:11 PM
Pale Horse
Costco is great to deal with. It sucks that the movie pass went to shit, it was a cool idea, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014
September 29, 2018, 08:41 AM
RogueJSK
It seems that MoviePass is so desperate for money that they've resorted to re-enrolling cancelled subscribers without their permission.

If you used to have a MoviePass subscription, you might want to double-check to ensure that you're not among those affected.

MoviePass sent out this email earlier this week:

quote:
In August 2018, we announced a new offering for three movies a month for $9.95, giving subscribers the ability to opt-in to this plan if they wanted to continue as a MoviePass subscriber. However, our records show that you have not yet taken any action on the new plan, and because of that your subscription was suspended and your monthly subscription charges have stopped.

Because we really hope you begin enjoying your MoviePass subscription again, we have chosen you to be a part of a select test group, who beginning Friday, October 5th will be restored to unlimited movies (up to one new movie title per day based on existing inventory) – the same subscription that you signed up for and you previously enjoyed. If you decide that you do not want this you must “opt out” before Thursday, October 4th at 9:00PM ET.

To be clear, unless you opt out, your unlimited subscription will be restored and you will begin enjoying unlimited movies again (up to 1 movie per day, based on existing inventory) at $9.95 per month, and your credit card on file will be charged on a monthly basis beginning Friday, October 5th, 2018.

If you do opt out of the restoration of your subscription to the unlimited plan, your subscription will be canceled and no longer held in a “suspended” status, and you will not be able to re-join until 9 months have passed.

Note that they're "un-cancelling" these subscriptions, and unless the member actively opts out (again), their card will start being charged again in 5 days.

Besides the whole legal quandry about restarting a cancelled account without the permission of the account holder, I suspect a large number of these folks will be unable to successfully "opt out" in time, judging by MoviePass' past history of throwing up big hurdles and delays when trying to cancel your account.

Shady, shady, shady.

(Further note that even if you stick with their new "unlimited" plan, it won't be like what it was before. When MoviePass first started, "unlimited" meant you could see any movie. Now their terms, including in this new unlimited plan, state "based on existing inventory". Which means you're limited to only one or two films per theater, and often limited to just one or two showings per day. No new releases. No popular films. No popular times. Just the dregs of whatever's least popular.)
September 29, 2018, 08:28 PM
Lord Vaalic
Well.....

Like we used to say at my old company, "We lose a little on every job, but we make up for it in volume "

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day