SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate credit card scammers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate credit card scammers Login/Join 
posted
I just got an overdue bill from Capital One "Buy Power" card. The problem is, I never had a Capital One card. I called the number on the bill to see what info they could give me without giving any of my personal info out. It has my name, address and the last four of the account on the bill.

When I called the number on the bill, they of course wanted my personal info. to check to access the account. They said my account could not be opened without my personal info and I refused to give it to them. The lady on the phone then asked me what the long numeric code was on the bottom of my bill. I gave it to her in order to reference the billing. Also the bill only had a total of what they said I owed but there was no itemized description of what was purchased. I understand them wanting to confirm info but I can't believe they can't look at the account and see where the items were bought and at least ask if I were at a certain location. I hate credit thieves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patw,

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Point taken,thanks for the heads up

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a routine of every 4 months, requesting an annual credit report for free from annualcreditreport.com from one of the 3 credit reporting companies. So each year, I get one from the same company.

I would make sure the number you are calling is that credit card company first. I would call a number off their website. Then I would give them your name and address that is on the statement along with the number.

That's all that I would be willing to confirm. And I would tell them you never had a card and that it's a scam.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Freeze your credit and this won’t happen.
Easy, online process that takes a few minutes and is now free in most states.
Don’t pay to monitor the crime, stop it for free and stop complaining.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post