SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    THIEVES: Why Are We Not Allowed To Shoot Them?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THIEVES: Why Are We Not Allowed To Shoot Them? Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the air bag was what the thief or thieves were after, and the ransacking was incidental, to see if there was anything else. They'll sell it to a crooked body shop. Catalytic converters are another target for theft. And why go to the trouble of siphoning gas when all one needs is a cordless drill and a drain pan?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Are you in a position to install security camera(s) on your portion of the [leased] hangar which could cover the parking area?
Nope. Visualize the taxiways as streets that run parallel to each other. The common parking area for vehicles is four "streets" away from my hangar. No direct line of sight, many rows of hangars between mine and the parking area, and the parking area is big enough that it would take a bunch of cameras to cover it, even if cameras could see the parking area from my location.

'Nother thought: Let's get hypothetical. Suppose there was camera coverage. Further suppose that the information from the camera was instrumental in catching the thief. What have I really gained, other than the satisfaction of maybe seeing him get some jail time? Odds are, he doesn't have a pot to piss in, so restitution isn't going to happen. I'm still out the cost of repairing my truck, up to the $1,000.00 insurance deductible. And the cop was very definite when he told me that I'm not allowed to shoot them. Razz He actually asked me whether I had a gun. I asked him how many he needed. I was not in a good mood.

$1000.00 deductible for comprehensive is crazy! My comp deductible is $100....I figure if I've got a comp claim for damage/repair to my vehicle, it's definitely NOT my fault, and I'd want to minimize my out of pocket expense. I do carry a higher deductable on collision, but that 'might' be my fault, so I'll pay the penalty if that's the case.

Anyway, unless insuring a business vehicle precludes the option (or it's cost prohibitive), I'd be reducing your comp deductible like, yesterday! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, P250 -- that is A V-Tail, but it is not the V-Tail. Smile

The one in your photo is an older model. The landing lights in the leading edges of the wings are a dead giveaway, as is the shape of the third (rear-most) side window.

Newer Bonanzas, both V-Tails and conventional tails, have the landing light in the nose bowl and the taxi light on the nose gear strut. They also have larger third windows, with a different shape. The one in your photo has a retro-fitted prop, too. I'm pretty sure that three-blade props were not offered by the factory on models this old.

That "flying wing" antenna on the cabin top, also dates the airplane as an older model, and the sort of blunted off tail cone.

No matter, they are all great airplanes. I actually like flying them better than the newer models. They just seem to handle nicely. More responsive to control inputs than the newer ones.

Was the first google image result. Don't think I've ever seen the V-Tail posted on here.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I'd like to make a dinner reservation for two.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Don't think I've ever seen the V-Tail posted on here.
Here ya go:

quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
We're booked solid for the next couple of months. The first available seating is at 4:15 on November 18, 2017. We will need your credit card number in order to secure your reservation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Don't think I've ever seen the V-Tail posted on here.
Here ya go:

quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
We're booked solid for the next couple of months. The first available seating is at 4:15 on November 18, 2017. We will need your credit card number in order to secure your reservation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4WVgaS2mcU

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice looking airplane.

This may be obvious, but what are the advantages of the v-tail design versus the standard tail? Is there such a thing as a multiple engine v-tail?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Everglades. Chainsaw. Alligators. Rubber gloves.

Some assembly required.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand adding overhead to a small business is not the usually desired path, but have you considered renting either another hangar or a small garage/storage unit for the business vehicle and inventory? May be more secure, if not entirely cost prohibitive. I have no idea what hangar space, especially in Florida, goes for.
Or would upgrading to a larger hangar be an option?

Finally, any pics of the Grumman you are willing to share?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Security on another line of thought - We've seen how banks have dye packets that go into stolen bags of money, they explode and get dye all over the thief. How about rigging some kind of package to sit in the truck when unoccupied. It doesn't need to be out in the open to encourage theft, but should someone steal it, when they get it home it leaks all over, making a permanent stain everywhere it goes?

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
This may be obvious, but what are the advantages of the v-tail design versus the standard tail? Is there such a thing as a multiple engine v-tail?
  1. Fewer surfaces = less aerodynamic drag = more speed for the same horsepower & fuel burn.

2. Yes, but not based on this airframe. I gotta hedge that answer. I believe that there were experimental, but nothing in commercial production. Now here comes another hedge. The BeechCraft V-Tails were the 35 series. The BeechCraft 33 series. essentially the same airplane, but with conventional tail. The 95 series (TravelAir) and 55 and 56 series (Baron) are conventional tail twins, based on the 33 airframe.

Then there's also the 36 (Bonanza) and 58 (Baron) that are basically stretched versions of the 33 and 55, respectively, with slightly larger cabins for rear passengers. Usually had four-place conference seating in the rear, with a desk (table?) that could be unfolded, between the passenger seats.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Everglades. Chainsaw. Alligators. Rubber gloves.

Some disassembly required.

Fixed it for you Wink

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Security on another line of thought - We've seen how banks have dye packets that go into stolen bags of money, they explode and get dye all over the thief. How about rigging some kind of package to sit in the truck when unoccupied. It doesn't need to be out in the open to encourage theft, but should someone steal it, when they get it home it leaks all over, making a permanent stain everywhere it goes?
Nope, no dye pack. I would rather have a true grenade. Only problem is, how to direct it to the sock tucker who breaks into the truck without injuring innocent bystanders.

I would need an IED expert, to rig something in an expensive looking Apple MacBook carrying case. Just fantasizing here, really don't want to injure anybody, but a couple years hard time in a Sheriff Joe type facility would be good.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
What was damaged on the box van? You should be able to pick up the glass for around or under $100

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
  1. Fewer surfaces = less aerodynamic drag = more speed for the same horsepower & fuel burn.

2. Yes, but not based on this airframe. I gotta hedge that answer. I believe that there were experimental, but nothing in commercial production. Now here comes another hedge. The BeechCraft V-Tails were the 35 series. The BeechCraft 33 series. essentially the same airplane, but with conventional tail. The 95 series (TravelAir) and 55 and 56 series (Baron) are conventional tail twins, based on the 33 airframe.

Then there's also the 36 (Bonanza) and 58 (Baron) that are basically stretched versions of the 33 and 55, respectively, with slightly larger cabins for rear passengers. Usually had four-place conference seating in the rear, with a desk (table?) that could be unfolded, between the passenger seats.

Thank you for these details.

How old are the designs you mentioned? Is your V-tail still produced?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
The airport there is fairly deserted at night - and the city has been experiencing an uptick in crime, in particular, burglaries, property crimes. Some home invasions, a few carjackings. They are migratory thugs, predominantly from the Orlando area, which has a huge surplus of them.

I went through the police blotter photos for about an hour the other day. What a complete gaggle of losers.

20 million people in Florida. About 1.2 million protected alligators.

There are solutions when the time comes.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rotndad:
What was damaged on the box van? You should be able to pick up the glass for around or under $100
Damage included
  • smashed window
  • dashboard torn apart and airbag gone, airbag cover panel destroyed
  • center console under dash torn open, storage compartment cover destroyed
  • trim strip on outside that runs along bottom of windshield destroyed (why?)
  • some interior trim destroyed
  • maybe some additional, truck is at the service shop now.
I would really REALLY like to catch the bastages.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
How old are the designs you mentioned? Is your V-tail still produced?
The prototype was test-flown very shortly after WW2 ended. Production / sales of new aircraft for the V-Tail was 1947 for the original model 35, which was the first all-metal retractable gear single engine airplane to sell in any significant quantity, then came the A-35, B-35, etc. to the last iteration which was the V-35B. Production ended in the early 1980s, right around 1982.

The conventional tail stretch version, the 36 series, is still in production as far as I know. Last price that I knew of was in the $600,000.00 to $700,000.00 range.

Compare that to my 1964 S-35 that originally sold for just a bit over $30,000.00, and they continue to appreciate. A 1964 or 1965 S-35 in very good condition will now sell for somewhere around $100,000.00.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
The airport there is fairly deserted at night
True. The city PD and the county sheriff do occasional drive-throughs, but in general there won't be anybody around at night.

I'm curious: how do you know about our airport? Your location says Phoenix.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Commercial aviation in the area - SFB. A coworker lives there. I like Limeade - and it comes from there. Spikes Tactical.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post