SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not even three days of ownership and I've already broken a PS4 controller:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not even three days of ownership and I've already broken a PS4 controller: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I found out that Dragon Quest was still going strong with number XI, so I decided it was time to succumb to the console lure. Chilling with the game and the cord got stuck. Not thinking, I started tugging on the controller and bent the charge cord plug while also somehow damaging the jack on the controller. Now the charge cord won't stay in, which means I can't charge the controller. Guess I need to get a new controller and charge cord. Frown

(* Yes, I'm aware that this is a First World Problem.)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
The good news is that PS4s use micro USB. Any standard cable will work. You don't need to be right by the PS4 to charge.

Posts: 261 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have NEVER broken a controller of any kind and I may or may not have rage quit a time or three.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Exodus:
The good news is that PS4s use micro USB. Any standard cable will work. You don't need to be right by the PS4 to charge.

I will buy a new cord through Monoprice but the jack on the controller is damaged to the point it won't allow the plug to stay securely in it. It just falls out.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can’t u buy one of those charging stations that charge From the extension port on the bottom of controller instead of the usb connection? Still sucks controller is broken, but a $20 fix seems like a better plan than a new $60 controller

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now the charge cord won't stay in

Dab of hot glue.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The charger stations are awesome. There are several manufacturers to choose from. When your done just set your controller on it and it will be fresh charged when you come back

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10730 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If you open it up you can likely bend the cable input jack back into form / tighter.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Duct tape !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you have a decent soldering iron and patience, the USB port could be resoldered. Sometimes it is just a matter of setting it back down, other times taking it off and realigning the six or so pins before setting it in place. A flux pen helps.

On the other hand, if it is a surface mount, You'll still say the same swear words that were said when the controller broke the first time.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post