SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Description Writers for Alcohol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Description Writers for Alcohol Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Highly pretentious and absolutely meaningless horse shit

Truly, absolutely meaningless. Just pure nonsense. Intelligence-insulting blather.

Posts: 107591 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
If I am at a bar, and see a new whiskey I have never tried, I pay the $6-$7 for a shot. Eliminates the guesswork and need to decipher absurd descriptions when its time to buy a nice bottle.

Pretty much sums it up for me too. Never tried Tullimore but have been thinking about it, my standard is Bushmills. Also been thinking of trying some Black Bush.

Not sure if serious. Especially if only paying $6-$7. Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Tasting notes for all alcohol are ridiculous.

And pretentious.

And bullshit.

All very very true.

Blanton's is supposed to have a "Vanilla Nose" yada yada yada per the local Wine and Whisky shop that manages to keep some on hand. What I get is a hint of Rye whisky, the Oak of the barrels it's aged in and how very smooth it is as a sipping Whisky. BTW, Buffalo Trace from the same brewery costs 1/2 as much, has a very similar flavor profile and is only a slight bit harsher going down.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:

Pretty much sums it up for me too. Never tried Tullimore but have been thinking about it, my standard is Bushmills. Also been thinking of trying some Black Bush.

Don't try to change the subject.....

That could be construed as so politically incorrect...

But any who, Tullimore D.E.W. is really too smooth and does not at least to me have quite enough complex flavors.... I like it and will have some on occasion but for me it's mostly either Wild Turkey (80 proof) or when the occasion calls for it Jefferson's Reserve. Dang it, now I've got to go see what each says about themselves.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I gave my wife a 12 year old bottle of Tullamore D.E.W. for Christmas.... this is some very fine Irish Whiskey...
It's damn good stuff, but to me it taste like whiskey.

I drink the plain old "original" on occasion. It's pretty good for a mere $25/fifth.

Looks like the minimum price for that 12 year in Michigan is $55 or so. I wonder if it tastes twice as good as the original?

Whisky/Whiskey tasting notes aren't entirely bullshit, but some carry their "notes" to excess.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
But on the other hand, a review stating "It taste like whiskey - Blume9mm", it doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Big Grin

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I mean, it's no secret that you can taste different flavors in different alcohols whether it be wine or hard alcohol.

However I don't usually put much stock in alcohol reviews, unless they all state that it's shit or that it is very good. I just drink what I like.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how they'd describe that clear stuff in that fruit jar.

They'd have to write damned fast, because most of the evening after we got into that was just a blur.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

"Tastes like burning. Don't remember much else" -dsiets.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i love reading the whiskey reviewers websites. it's so bizarre. how the fuck can you get all that from a sniff of booze.

I did have one scotch in korea that straight up tasted like I figure a pine cone would taste. I wonder if thats in the review.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
i love reading the whiskey reviewers websites. it's so bizarre. how the fuck can you get all that from a sniff of booze.

I did have one scotch in korea that straight up tasted like I figure a pine cone would taste. I wonder if thats in the review.

Very similar review from my girl friend regarding my gin and tonic.
She didn't like it much and said it was like drinking a Christmas tree.

I'm sure a gin snob would have a lot more to say, but in keeping with the spirit of this thread I really can't imagine describing it better.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My wife and I took our first winery tour a few years ago. We had a lot of fun and learned a lot. We’ve taken a few more since.

But it seems like every wine is “complex, yet with subtle undertones”. Whatever the hell that means...

I bartended for awhile. Could never figure out why someone would pay top shelf prices, for anything being mixed. Especially vodka.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
And the same writers also come up with the grandiose names for new housing subdivisions!

No, no, no, that's the double secret developer multi-wheel pinwheel of names. Innermost pinwheel is woods, heights, hills, shore and ridge. Middle pinwheel is north, east, south west, wind, ocean, lake and mountain. Outermost wheel is whispering, blowing, sun, moon, cactus, pine, palm and long grass.

Spin the wheels and that's the name of the development.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

"Tastes like burning. Don't remember much else" -dsiets.

Friend of mine who makes a small batch of untaxed alcohol every once and a while really got a kick out of my pointing out how ridiculous this D.E.W. description was and wrote his own review of his latest product. Here it is:

"Sheep Dog Shine is made to keep your coat nice and bright. It has a nose like a dog and will remind you of spent gun powder and sweat. The taste is of fresh shot game bird blood and lead pellets. The after taste is of course of sweat and blood from the years of trial and tribulation in watching over the flock. Don’t miss the hint of wood smoke added in."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm going to dinner at a friend's house next week.

I need to memorize a really snobby sounding but totally bullshit description for the wine that will be served.

We have an inventive group here on SIGforum, so any neat phrases that you want to contribute for this event (my 81st birthday) will be appreciated.

Much as I like Blume9mm's moonshine description, I need something that sounds more like a snobby wine review.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Linseed oil?

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Here you go, V-Tail.

It's a cheeky little North Coast cab, with pretensions of greater things; subtle hints of vanilla and tobacco kiss the palate at inception growing into waves of robust fruit and tannins capturing the essence of the strong cabernet grape, with noticeable earth and oak undertones. At the dry finish, graced with notes of rich blackberry, one is reminded of the parched hill sides on which this grape grows, competing with wild fruits for its sustenance. Pairs well with beef and lamb; sophisticated but not pretentious. A solid 91

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Here you go, V-Tail.

It's a cheeky little North Coast cab, with pretensions of greater things; subtle hints of vanilla and tobacco kiss the palate at inception growing into waves of robust fruit and tannins capturing the essence of the strong cabernet grape, with noticeable earth and oak undertones. At the dry finish, graced with notes of rich blackberry, one is reminded of the parched hill sides on which this grape grows, competing with wild fruits for its sustenance. Pairs well with beef and lamb; sophisticated but not pretentious. A solid 91

Big Grin

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Of course, there are your Australian Table Wines...

"A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity, as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palette, but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

'Black stump Bordeaux' is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good 'Sydney Syrup' can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

'Chateau Bleu', too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

'Old Smokey, 1968' has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian wino society thouroughly recommends a 1970 'Coq du Rod Laver', which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: 8 bottles of this, and you're really finished -- at the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is 'Perth Pink'. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is BEWARE!. This is not a wine for drinking -- this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is 'Melbourne Old-and-Yellow', which is particularly heavy, and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of 'Chateau Chunder', which is an Appalachian controle, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation -- a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a 'Hobart Muddy', and a prize winning 'Cuiver Reserve Chateau Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga', which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post