SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sliding Hiatal Hernia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sliding Hiatal Hernia Login/Join 
Picture of bonfire
posted
After having severe abdominal pain for about a month I went in for an upper GI on Friday and found out I have a Sliding Hiatal Hernia. It was missing on the CT and US b/c of it sliding back into alignment. I was prescribed Prilosec twice a day and told to always have Tums on hand. The provider says it is not at the point to have surgery but this pain sucks. Time to change my diet which is going to be a challenge b/c I happen to have the joy of producing kidney stones. The stuff that prevents kidney stones can cause the Gerds. Does anyone have any advice that has had a Hiatal Hernia? Anyone have the surgery?

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one and did have the surgery. Surgery went well and they put in the mesh screen. Everything healed up and was only tender for 3 or 4 days. Surgery was an out patient procedure. Was limited to how much you can lift for 3 or 4 months. I take Omeprozole 40mg twice a day and still have to watch what I eat. Especially at night or for supper. Foods that affect me are lemonade, chocolate, red meat, mexican food. I was diagnosed with Barretts esphogus so went through Halo Ablation procedure for that and it has definitely helped but I still try to watch what I eat especially in the evenings. Good luck in how you handle it.

Posts: 23 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: July 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have been battling it since I was 18 (and that was a while ago) my Dr. told me the surgery is a 50/50 shot. Well that was about 15 years ago.

He just told me to keep taking omeprazole (generic prilosec) and call it good.

I do need to take alleve for pain, but I am used to it after all these years.

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I have also hear mixed stories about the surgery being successful. I am glad your worked out for you bukerhammer. Knowing my luck I would not be on the favorable side.
Trying to look at my diet and figure out what foods cause it more often. Bacon is on the list but that is not an option to cut out!!

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double for me. Both sides about 5 years apart. 20 years ago. Mesh was implanted.
Zero problems.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had double inguinal hernia repair surgery with mesh 3 months ago. First few days of recovery wasn't fun. After that it's the nerve hyper sensitivity and numbness that's bothersome.

Posts: 348 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I have one but it only flares up when I eat certain foods or drink alcohol. If I drink, it has about a 70% chance to flare up. The only foods that cause it to flare reliably are the fries from this one greek restaurant in Eastern NC. I keep a bottle of pepto bismol in my glove box for flare-ups. It almost always makes the pain subside to manageable levels. God help me when I'm caught out without my car nearby and it flares up though :/

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with mine my whole life, went through all the tests in order to be approved for surgery but at the time I was making some life changes, primarily my diet and exercise habits.

After cutting out most all sugar, I found mine isn't a problem anymore so decided against surgery when It can be maintained naturally.

Everyone's trigger is different, I can eat acidic foods all day long and no problems, but eat one banana and be hurting all day and night.

So I guess my only advice would be try everything (exercise is just as important as diet) and see if that helps prior to a surgery.

BTW, the tests leading up to the surgery suck. Straw down your throat though your nose while drinking salt water? Never again.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post