SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Health insurance sucks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health insurance sucks Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Wife and I pay our slave rate of approximately $5000 a year for our family health insurance, plus our $5500 deductible. Insurance company just advised me that the generic Prilosec that keeps me alive they will no longer cover.

Their "nice" letter advised that since I could buy it over the counter, I should just do that. And besides, it will save me money doing so. I wasn't a math wiz in school, but a 90 day supply of generic Prilosec used to cost me $3. Since over the counter cost about $1 per pill, a 90 day supply will now run me $90. A "savings" of negative $87 for a 90 day supply. Must be Obama math.

Thankfully, if I like my expensive worthless insurance, I can keep my expensive worthless insurance. I wasn't able to keep my doctor as he fired me last year. He was done with health insurance and went with a VIP all cash payment plan.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. My health insurance for my family (wife, three kids, and me...all healthy) is more than my mortgage. Ridiculous.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Wife and I pay our slave rate of approximately $5000 a year for our family health insurance, plus our $5500 deductible. Insurance company just advised me that the generic Prilosec that keeps me alive they will no longer cover.

Their "nice" letter advised that since I could buy it over the counter, I should just do that. And besides, it will save me money doing so. I wasn't a math wiz in school, but a 90 day supply of generic Prilosec used to cost me $3. Since over the counter cost about $1 per pill, a 90 day supply will now run me $90. A "savings" of negative $87 for a 90 day supply. Must be Obama math.

Thankfully, if I like my expensive worthless insurance, I can keep my expensive worthless insurance. I wasn't able to keep my doctor as he fired me last year. He was done with health insurance and went with a VIP all cash payment plan.
Prilosec OTC, in 42 day supplies, costs around $14-17 here. I'm betting you can get it sent to you by Walmart or Amazon.

Prilosec OTC came out in 2003-4 and within a year, most plans removed it from their Formulary. A few continued coverage a couple of years longer when a prescription was written for Omeprozole.

Here it is at $0.40 / pill

https://www.amazon.com/Prilose...ords=prilosec+otc+42

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you are a sams club or costco member check the prices there, they have max markup on products that cause otc and generic otc to be much less.

My Claritin D is $15 for 15 pills at CVS, $5.75 for 15 pills at Costco for the Kirkland Allerclear-D generic.

Also check on quantity you can buy OTC, if it's limited like the Claritin D you can get a doctors script for 90 days they will fill it with that amount and you still only pay the low price.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it does. I just had to turn down a great job offer because it was with a small company with no insurance. Can't afford to buy it on my own with a wife (who doesn't have benefits at her job) and three kids.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I'd look for something other than the brand name.

My local Walmart has generic OTC Omeprazole for less than $15 for a 42 day treatment. It worked well for me. While it's not $3 for a 90 day supply, it's still a far cry better than $90.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does. My employer changed insurance plans a year ago, and now all our prescriptions HAVE to be a 90 day script, and must go thru CVS, I think one other place, possibly, but not entirely sure. A couple of my co workers were shocked to find that maintenance meds were now astronomical for prices, as they couldn't get them at the previous pharmacy, and also, the new plan didn't cover the brand name. Had to be a generic, and some of them were unable to take a generic. Wake up call. I was lucky, mine were still reasonable thru CVS.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Check with your doctor and see if he would recommend Pantoprazole (Protonix) in your situation. It works better for me than any other PPI medication. I think I pay $6 per month.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Walgreens Store brand Omeprazole

3 pack, 42 count, is what I get.
Less than 40 cent per...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your insurance company may have done you somewhat of a favor. Long term use of PPIs are associated with some other issues. Now would be a good time to discuss that with your physician. Of course your insurance company was all about the dollar. Good luck.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear ya too. I sympathize with you also.

I recently started going to a Dr, who does not take Medicare.
In our contract, when you reach the age of 62, you MUST sign up for social security if you are retired and medicare.

So then medicare becomes our primary insurance and our old primary insurance becomes our secondary.
They WILL not pay anything that medicare has not rejected. Some Drs. will not deal with medicare, so you must pay out of pocket. Some of his visits cost $500 or more.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So then medicare becomes our primary insurance and our old primary insurance becomes our secondary.
They WILL not pay anything that medicare has not rejected. Some Drs. will not deal with medicare, so you must pay out of pocket. Some of his visits cost $500 or more.

Doctors are tired of having to deal with the government. It is just not low pay, it is tons of bureaucracy, and the government now dictating how physicians will be paid through Medicare. Compensation is moving towards filling out checklists and paperwork, not practicing medicine. The doctor is now treating the computer not the patient.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
I hear ya too. I sympathize with you also.

I recently started going to a Dr, who does not take Medicare.
In our contract, when you reach the age of 62, you MUST sign up for social security if you are retired and medicare.

Being FORCED to take SS early (age 62) is a new one on me, thought I'd heard it all.

Getting Medicare at 62 without being permanently disabled for 24 months is unheard of, i.e., IMPOSSIBLE

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
For you guys with no insurance on meds, compare to Blink Health.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obamacare or Trumpcare, health insurance is never going to be affordable as long as there are no constraints on the drug companies and the insurance companies . Worst thing that ever happened was allowing the drug companies to put those stupid ads on television, like you need to educate your doctor about these drugs he's never heard of . Seem to me that the rapid rise in drug costs corresponds closely with the onset of television advertising .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Health insurance, like paying for any insurance sucks, until you need it. If I hadn't had it in 2007 when I got hurt, and had surgery, I would have had to declare bankruptcy, etc. There are major changes that do need to be done with health insurance. Like many other programs and products, and services, deregulation sounds great, until they do it and then it's a train wreck. People wanting the EPA to be eliminated should be sent off to China or Russia to see what basically no environmental laws does to the air and water. Overdone as it is/was, the EPA is a very needed agency.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
Health insurance, like paying for any insurance sucks, until you need it. If I hadn't had it in 2007 when I got hurt, and had surgery, I would have had to declare bankruptcy, etc. There are major changes that do need to be done with health insurance. Like many other programs and products, and services, deregulation sounds great, until they do it and then it's a train wreck. People wanting the EPA to be eliminated should be sent off to China or Russia to see what basically no environmental laws does to the air and water. Overdone as it is/was, the EPA is a very needed agency.

I don't think anyone said health insurance wasn't necessary, in fact I think most in here have agreed it is very necessary, the problem is it's WAY more expensive for worse coverage now thanks to Obama

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Between health and dental insurance, I spend $9,217 right off the bat in premiums every year.

I put another $2,000 into a flex spending account, and the ex-wife succubus is sure to spend that in the first 6 months of the year, taking the kids to urgent care for runny noses.

I know some people spend more than that, some much more, but to me well over $11,000 a year is a hell of a lot of money.

When I need to go to the Dr., and when the kids are with me and they need a Dr., we go to our free employer-provided health clinic. I go to a Dr. for sick visits maybe once a year.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My wife had some leg pains that wouldn't go away this past weekend so we ended up going to the hospital (non emergency room trip, midwife got us appointment) since there was some concern about a clot with her being due any second now.

I swear Aetna loves to fuck people right up the ass with how they handle things. We just got billed for the ultrasound of her leg and Aetna paid MAYBE 100 bucks of it and we are on the hook for the remainder of it; $570. Did I mention that we have HUGE premiums and HUGE deductibles?

It's almost like I just want to say "screw this" and keep the money I pay in premiums and put it into an account to pay for this crap directly. Why are we paying an insurance company huge amounts of $$$ so they can turn around and stick us with the bill for most of it? Makes no damn sense! Mad

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post