SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Car shopping and my inability to make a decision
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car shopping and my inability to make a decision Login/Join 
posted
So I find myself needing a new car because the old one is just starting to have little issues here and there and most recently a $2000+ bill at Dealer because they’ve decided EVERYTHING on this car is dealer only parts (even the starting battery is dealer only). So being that it’s 10 years old and I’m sick of having a car I have to go get raped at the dealer every time I need something for it I’ve decided to get a new car.

So I go look at cars this weekend and I’m looking in probably the 20-25k neighborhood so nothing special I just need a car/little suv to get me around.

1. I look at Kia because they have a good warranty from factory so first is Kia optima’s (seem decent, but Kia... and the optima is discontinued so limited selections and I’m not sure if I want to buy a discontinued model Roll Eyes). Kia seltos (again, Kia).

2. I went to look at Mazda 6’s but apparently those don’t exist anymore according to the dealer so I looked at a Mazda 3 and it’s nice, but a little small and I was a fan of the dealerships sales tactics (I’m in an area with 4-5 of each model dealer within 60-70 miles so I could always just go to a different dealer)

3. Nissan altimas and rogues (nice cars, I have a bad taste in my mouth from an Infiniti g35 I had years ago that has basically same engine, but at 120k miles I spent 5000+ on dealerships and repair shops throwing parts at it and no one could get it to stop overheating)

So today I was going to look at Jeep Cherokees. I don’t mind Chrysler products, but my main reason for purchasing would be the Chrysler max care extended warranty. I bought my current Lexus used at a Chrysler dealer and got this warranty and it’s actually a very good warranty, because most extended warranties suck. 6 year unlimited mile max care warranty is right around $2500 so at least I know my car is covered beyond the end of my loan.

I guess my question is does anyone here own a new Cherokee? Thoughts? Or any opinions on anything else in the same neighborhood for pricing.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your search. I know how hard it is to purchase a car.

If you go Chrysler, hem and haw about the cost of the extended warranty. I don't know but you might get them to drop the price if they think you're on the fence about buying it. I've done it 3 times on warranties at the dealer. Worked 2 of the 3 times.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've owned 3 Mazdas. Two Miatas and one 3. All have been trouble free. I sold the '3' because it was too small to travel for extended trips.

Flanagan Motors in Missoula Montana has 2 Mazda 6s. I've bought 2 of my Mazdas from them with great experiences.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Only thing I've heard on the Cherokee is that the transmission isn't the best. Knew a couple owners & both were happy to be out of them when they traded/lease turn-in.

I don't recall the exact issues, but both spent time in the shop for software updates/reflash.

From your list above, I really liked the 6, especially with the 2.5 Turbo engine. They are much less common on dealer lots compared to the 3.

Technically, the Optima isn't discontinued, just renamed for the new generation as the K5 (as it's known in Korea).
Co-worker has a 2013 Optima SXL (top trim) and it's been great for her.
IIRC, it's got >100k on it & has only stranded her twice. Faulty brake switch & a dead battery.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to purchase a hard copy of the annual Consumer Report Car Buying Guide. They list reliability ratings, etc.

This would be a great starting point for you.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Isn't Jeep using a PLASTIC, I think it's called a harmonic balancer, that the serpentine drive is driven by?

Plastic? Someone I know got stranded when it broke, I think his is a 2014 model Jeep. You will need a tow truck.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Here's my standard answer to this question: Accord. Plenty of room, even lower trim levels are well equipped, efficient, reliable, with a dash of fun to drive. I would look for a CPO Accord Sport per your specifications.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Expand your search. I wouldn't buy something like a car, that doesn't immediately call my name after test driving it. Besides work and your house, you spend a lot of your life in your car, might as well really like it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought our son a Mazda 6 a few years ago and he loves it.

The Mazda dealer around the corner from me only has one 6 in stock.

Have you looked at Mazda's CX-5? They can be had in your price range.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
We bought our son a Mazda 6 a few years ago and he loves it.

The Mazda dealer around the corner from me only has one 6 in stock.

Have you looked at Mazda's CX-5? They can be had in your price range.

Yeah my sister in law has a cx5.. it’s nice. And I would agree with tigereye about the accord but I really don’t like their new 9speed push button gear selector. I’m looking for fairly simple so even if something does break I’m hoping it doesn’t have so many bells and whistles that everything has to go to the dealer. And you’re right jimmy, I just need to drive them all until I find the one that sings to me because I do drive a lot.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had to take three steps back from shopping for a 1911 pistol,
As it was driving me fruity Nut cakes
Conniption fit woozy.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I like my Ford Fusion, second one I have purchased. Mine is a Sport model, out of your budget, but the 2.5l NA model SE trim level can be purchased in that budget and the 2.5 is a very reliable engine. You could even get the 2.0T model in AWD your range if you want a little more power, you do sacrifice a bit of reliability for AWD and Turbo, but they are still pretty reliable. Tech is good on base level ones, on the upper end of your budget, pretty darn good tech.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I went to look at Mazda 6’s but apparently those don’t exist anymore according to the dealer

What in the world?? Confused The Mazda 6 is alive and well. It may be hard to find, but it's not that it doesn't exist anymore. (I'm looking forward to this version, and hoping AWD is available on it.)

Heck, man, I'd go spit on that dealer's parking lot. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm a Mazda convert. My last two cars have been Mazdas, and my next one in a year will also.
I've been looking at the CX-30, but I may just go for another CX-5.
Love the way they drive and handle.

The Mazda 6 looks like a really nice car.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I went to look at Mazda 6’s but apparently those don’t exist anymore according to the dealer

What in the world?? Confused The Mazda 6 is alive and well. It may be hard to find, but it's not that it doesn't exist anymore. (I'm looking forward to this version, and hoping AWD is available on it.)

Heck, man, I'd go spit on that dealer's parking lot. Razz

That’s weird. Yeah I looked on Mazda’s website and it shows the 6 still being a thing. I just assumed with rows and rows and rows of cars at these places if it existed they would have one especially not being some new model... I looked at another dealer and it shows one there looks pretty nice might go check that out tonight.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
No experience with Mazda but this is a weird time for car buying for sure. Been looking at sequoias online off and on for a couple of months and most dealers went from having 15-30 on the lot to having 0-3 in what seemed like overnight. Ended up ordering one and eta is September.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda Accord. I have owned eight. Very happy and have a good relationship with the dealership.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, KIA has not really gone away it's just been re-directed. The wife had a 2013 KIA Optima and she loved that car. We owned it for about 5 years and it was very dependable, great gas mileage and didn't cost us a cent in repairs.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a couple days or roaming dealers after work decided on a Camry. It was the first car that said “buy me” to me.

Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
excellent choice

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post