SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Publix: Where Shopping (And Stealing) Is A Pleasure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Publix: Where Shopping (And Stealing) Is A Pleasure Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Just to dispel the confusing, I can not name of one Publix that would ever be in a questionable area, as they are routinely bad about having higher prices than other chains. I could be wrong, but everyone I know of in Ga, its a for sure middle class area. Now, I have seen them close and move when that changes as well.
In other words, if the Publix opened, you can bet its a middle to upper class area

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Just to dispel the confusing, I can not name of one Publix that would ever be in a questionable area, as they are routinely bad about having higher prices than other chains. I could be wrong, but everyone I know of in Ga, its a for sure middle class area. Now, I have seen them close and move when that changes as well.
In other words, if the Publix opened, you can bet its a middle to upper class area

I'd say thats typically true but not always the case. We have one where they employ off duty FHP just to stand by the exit as a theft deterrent. I've seen more than one that isn't in a desirable place.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I love Publix. We moved up here to Virginia from Georgia and missed publix until we discovered wegmans

If publix will make it to my part of the state I will have the best of grocery worlds

Although I admit I rarely do my grocery shopping on a store anymore. Giant has peapod delivery and the Harris teeter near my house has pickup and between the two I do almost all my grocery shopping online

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Although I admit I rarely do my grocery shopping on a store anymore. Giant has peapod delivery and the Harris teeter near my house has pickup and between the two I do almost all my grocery shopping online
I'm curious about that. How does it work out with fresh stuff that you might want to look at before buying, like fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, etc.?

I can see how it would work out just fine for packaged stuff like canned goods, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Produce can be the only down side and it really depends on what it is you're getting.

If it's stuff in season, generally you're fine. Harris teeter is a higher quality grocery store than giant and I generally trust the produce they pick out more than the peapod guys

When my wife does it she will actually go in and pick out her produce an then just pick up the rest. Or if we go together I go through the car line and she runs in. She is a lot more picky than I am

For 4-5 months out of the year around here, too, we generally get our produce at one of many good nearby farmers markets

For the most part,though, I've had good luck. What I've found is for things like fruit they generally err on giving you less ripe stuff which I think is good policy. I might have to wait a day or two, but I just factor it into my shopping. Peapod has a pass where I basically can have unlimited grocery delivery. And the Harris teeter is across the street right next to the business we own. So I can pop on the app and get what we need and one of us can just pick it up on the way home

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with opening a carton of eggs to inspect, and then swapping out the broken ones. That's what the diary associate will do in the back.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
Let them finish the cherries and then call the cops. With all that melatonin in their system, they won't resist arrest and will probably sleep all the way to jail.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Publix overcharges enough to cover eaten grapes and cherries.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss Publix. I used to live in the Tampa Bay Area and a Boar's Head ultimate was a staple of my diet for a decade. Also, I will admit to enjoying the cuban sandwichs when I didn't feel like driving into St. Pete or Ybor for one. Thank gawd Sprout's serves Boar's Head and I know how to make the ultimate myself but dang I miss cubans.

I'm not surprised to see people eating for food they didn't pay for. How many times have we walked through a store and seen a half consumed 20 oz. bottle of soda and a shelf in electronics or an open bag of chips in the garden section?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What if you and I, the honest Publix customers, took on the stealers directly?

How would that work out?

As in, "Hey! You're stealing! Not just from Publix, but from me! Put that back. Now."

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
worked in the grocery business for 35 yrs,,

that is an every day thing,,

ditto salad bars,

or hot foods,

get it, eat it, and stuff the package somewhere and move on,

caught just about every age and demographic stealing over the years, from poor homeless to rich folks driving new cars living in toney neighborhoods,,

Guess I am not surprised. How do the stores handle this stuff? Thanks

it is all about percentages,

typically, what the people steal is a low percentage of store shrink (losses)

paperwork shrink is the biggest loss a grocery store faces, from errors in paperwork in the store to items being shorted in a delivery,

shrink rates vary by store and company, I've ran locations that had an acceptable shrink rate or goal of 1.5% to as low as .54 shrink

no idea what Publix does per store sales wise, but the last location I managed for another company was about 800K a week, inside the store, not counting Rx and Fuel,,
shrink goal was .9, but it was in a crappy area, so anything below 1.25 or an improvement over the last physical inventory was a good thing,

trust me , as much as I hate a shoplifter, an idgit, or moron for an employee can cost you much more in the long run

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Try this on, I was at like a super wal mart, the chief female breeder saunters over to the prepared chicken, grabs 2 boxes of chicken wings and some fried chicken pieces. Then sent the kids to hide in the big paper towel racks to eat.....

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Memory association:

Publix=Beach Trip grocery store run=mucho tasty keylime pie

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
I have never heard of Publix until recently.

One opened this weekend here in the greater Richmond area and there are two more planned.

My sister lives near St. Petersburg speaks highly of them.

Like everything else here in Richmond, (especially where they built these) they will go to crap and the ghetto hord will rob them blind.

I am interested in visiting one once the hoopla of the grand opening dies down.

I would not consider Wyndham or Cross Ridge to be Ghetto areas. How long have you been in Richmond? Mad

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post