SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Publix: Where Shopping (And Stealing) Is A Pleasure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Publix: Where Shopping (And Stealing) Is A Pleasure Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
If you live in the southeastern part of the U.S., you know about Publix. For the rest of you, Publix is a chain of grocery supermarkets that offers good customer service and a good selection of grocery items, including some pretty high quality house brand stuff.

I stopped in the local store to pick up a couple of things for dinner on my way home today, and observed a couple, man and woman, probably in their 50s or 60s. Nothing special about their appearance, they certainly did not look like People of Walmart, but they sure were behaving that way.

They had some fresh fruit in their basket, including a bag of cherries and a bag of grapes. Both of these items are sold by the pound and are weighed at the checkout register.

These two were standing there, stuffing cherries and grapes into their mouths just as fast as they could cram them in. I don't mean tasting one or two to sample them, I mean wholesale chowing down.

I looked around, but as far as I could tell, there was no crew from Candid Camera.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of Publix until recently.

One opened this weekend here in the greater Richmond area and there are two more planned.

My sister lives near St. Petersburg speaks highly of them.

Like everything else here in Richmond, (especially where they built these) they will go to crap and the ghetto hord will rob them blind.

I am interested in visiting one once the hoopla of the grand opening dies down.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah the free buffet. I see moms that allow their kids to eat candy and then Forget to pay for it.
I sometimes like to comment upon the diseases you can get from unwashed fruit when I see this behavior.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Publix is by far my favorite grocery!
We shop there when at our place in Florida. I wish we would get one here but I doubt that will ever happen as we are already saturated in Kroger and Meijer territory.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I worked in the grocery business for 35 yrs,,

that is an every day thing,,

ditto salad bars,

or hot foods,

get it, eat it, and stuff the package somewhere and move on,

caught just about every age and demographic stealing over the years, from poor homeless to rich folks driving new cars living in toney neighborhoods,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Never buy food from a place called pube licks

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
worked in the grocery business for 35 yrs,,

that is an every day thing,,

ditto salad bars,

or hot foods,

get it, eat it, and stuff the package somewhere and move on,

caught just about every age and demographic stealing over the years, from poor homeless to rich folks driving new cars living in toney neighborhoods,,

Guess I am not surprised. How do the stores handle this stuff? Thanks

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess I am not surprised. How do the stores handle this stuff? Thanks

Simple,that said store as well as others mark up to pay for the loss,you should see the grazing that goes on in the near wal mart from me.
Street bums get fed daily this way.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Our local Publix have the best quality fruit and vegetables around. Meat, too, but at a higher cost, so I only buy what's on sale. I like Publix. This is not a commercial, just my opinion about quality food. And down here in south Georgia, I have seen a few people openly carrying their pistols, with no comments from management, or others.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got homeless down here who go into a Supermarket with back pack and load up with groceries, then try to make it out the door W/O paying, of course.

Sometimes they do with the backpack....sometimes they don't with the back pack as grocery help are quick to tackle them and get the stolen items.

Some Supermarket's (Albertson) don't bother with calling the Police. They just let the perp go.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've seen people do that before.

I also once saw a middle-age Asian woman opening egg cartons and swapping out smaller eggs for larger ones.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'll sometimes swap eggs if I open a carton with a broken egg, and there's another carton with some broken and some unbroken. I figure better to swap and leave one carton with broken eggs, than to leave two cartons on the shelf with broken eggs.

I'll just do that with a cracked egg, not one that has broken and made a mess.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago, my young nephews were visiting Richmond from their home in Brooklyn. While visiting a local grocery store we came upon a barrel of cookies, that were being sold by the pound. One of the kids yelled, "Hey look, loose cookies!" When I said, don't they have those in Brooklyn, he replied, "Heck no, the bums would eat 'em !"

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It doesn't just happen in Publix.

I think it's okay to taste one or two grapes. But to stuff your mouths, open up packages and eat while strolling down the aisle....

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
It doesn't just happen in Publix.
Of course not. I was really commenting on the two people who were doing this, not on the location. I just happened to mention Publix because that's where I was when I saw it, and I used their slogan ("Publix, where shopping is a pleasure") for the thread title. Something like this would not surprise me at all in Walmart. I just did not expect to see it in Publix, but I guess that no place is immune.

quote:
I think it's okay to taste one or two grapes. But to stuff your mouths, open up packages and eat while strolling down the aisle....
Agreed. If I'm deciding whether or not to buy something, one or two grapes would probably not even make one penny of difference when the package that contains maybe a couple of pounds is weighed at the checkout register. These people were not tasting one or two. They were cramming them into their mouths, much like pigs feeding at the trough. I have had pets, cats and dogs, that ate more politely than these two sub-humans.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
V, I have done the same thing with eggs. However the big W has now started shrink wrapping two 18 egg cartons together and this leaves no opportunity to inspect but, it is quite a bit cheaper to buy those than it is to buy two single 18 egg cartons.

As far as Publix we are just now getting one, is to be open by early fall (late Aug. or early Sept) if however they are as high priced as I have heard I will only go there when they have a lot of good sale items.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
if however they are as high priced as I have heard
Price kind of varies, depending on the item. Many staples are a bit on the costly side there, so I buy things like brand-name bread and similar items at Walmart.

My take on this is that Publix really shines in a few areas:
  1. Store brand stuff. Things like Publix Premium ice cream. A full half gallon, frequently on sale for $3.50, and some of the best store-bought ice cream I have ever had. They stock many flavors, including The One True Flavor (maple walnut). Publix Premium frozen take-and-bake pizza is among the best of that type. The in-store bakeries turn out some really good bread (especially the onion rye) at competitive prices, along with decent rolls and pastries of many types.

2. The Publix shopping week runs from Thursday through the following Wednesday. One of my Thursday morning habits is to check the website for the new week's specials. They usually have several Buy One / Get One deals for things that we use.

3. Publix pharmacy. The things that I pay for are priced similar to other low-priced pharmacies in the area. Publix also has a list of commonly used meds that are FREE, with or without insurance. Lisinopril, which my doc prescribes for my blood pressure, does not cost anything. There is a whole list of free meds, including Cipro, so if the doc thinks an antibiotic is in order, I always ask him whether Cipro is suitable.
Publix also has a selection of specialty items that other grocery supermarkets in the area do not carry. They are usually willing to special order things that they do not normally stock. All of the fish markets in the immediate vicinity have gone out of business; Publix has a small selection of fresh, never frozen, fish.

No, I don't do all of my shopping there, as some items are expensive, but I do go there for the "deals" and for items that I can't find anywhere else.

But to get back on track, I did not start this thread to sing the praises of Publix, I started it to comment on the two sub-human pigs that were lunching up on "free" fruit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
If you live in the southeastern part of the U.S., you know about Publix. For the rest of you, Publix is a chain of grocery supermarkets that offers good customer service and a good selection of grocery items, including some pretty high quality house brand stuff.

I stopped in the local store to pick up a couple of things for dinner on my way home today, and observed a couple, man and woman, probably in their 50s or 60s. Nothing special about their appearance, they certainly did not look like People of Walmart, but they sure were behaving that way.

They had some fresh fruit in their basket, including a bag of cherries and a bag of grapes. Both of these items are sold by the pound and are weighed at the checkout register.

These two were standing there, stuffing cherries and grapes into their mouths just as fast as they could cram them in. I don't mean tasting one or two to sample them, I mean wholesale chowing down.

I looked around, but as far as I could tell, there was no crew from Candid Camera.
Dam, I guess I had better start wearing more discreet clothing when I go out shopping because do not want to look like I shop at WalMart to. Kind of reminds me of the old K-mart days and the blue light specials that always seemed to bring on criticism. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chansen92:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Nothing special about their appearance, they certainly did not look like People of Walmart, but they sure were behaving that way.
Dam, I guess I had better start wearing more discreet clothing when I go out shopping because do not want to look like I shop at WalMart. Roll Eyes
You might want to read my original post again. I made it easy, I extracted the significant portion, above.

It's not what you wear. It's not your physical appearance. It IS your demeanor. It IS how you behave in public (and Publix Wink that makes the difference.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
We got homeless down here who go into a Supermarket with back pack and load up with groceries, then try to make it out the door W/O paying, of course.

This explains why the "cost + 10%" store I go to (which has some pretty good crowds on welfare paydays) has a sign at the door telling you to check in backpacks.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post